PDA

View Full Version : Is this an older Starret?

Jack Camillo
07-17-2008, 4:08 PM
Wondering if this is an old Starrett protractor head. Given to me by an old-timer my mother was dating. There are no manufacturer markings, but sure looks like a starrett. it's in excellent working condition. One problem - my new starrett 12 in rule is too thick to slide into it, though it appears it should fit and run on the track. Any ideas? (it's not bent at all) Anyone recognize it?

Bob Vallaster
07-17-2008, 4:53 PM
Jack,
Yours looks just like one I have: no brand marking evident on the head, but came with a Brown&Sharpe blade which works fine.
The B&S blade measures .085" thick.
I measured a new Starrett blade: .089" and it will not fit in the gap.

BobV.

Ron Jones near Indy
07-17-2008, 5:04 PM
If it is a B&S or Starrett, it is a fine tool if it hasn't been abused.

Jack Camillo
07-17-2008, 8:18 PM
No abuse, a little dirty. It's gotta be a browne and sharpe. I can't find the exact one though searching on line. On mine (see left picture), it's made so the rule runs through the black half circle, instead of a slit in the bottom. Hmm, now I have to find a ruler to match. I think he must have given that to me as well, it's been several years and I just found this while organizing my shop (does that tell you anything?). Thanks for the help.

Phillip Pattee
07-17-2008, 9:26 PM
Jack,

Here are some pictures of my old Brown and Sharpe. Hope they help.

Jack Camillo
07-18-2008, 5:28 AM
Phillip,
Not the same. See how your ruler slides up through the bottom. Mine is made so the ruler slides in along the side. Strange. I did find an old craftsman combination square, the ruler from which will slide in and engage the thingy, but the ruler appears too wide and runs below the bottom of the protractor head, giving slightly untrue angles when adjusted for such.
thanks for posting the picture

David Tiell
07-18-2008, 10:15 AM
Jack,
I have a Brown and Sharpe that looks just like that one. The rule slides in from the slide, not like the one posted by Phillip.

Jack Camillo
07-18-2008, 6:33 PM
Ahah! thanks, David, and everyone else that replied!

Bruce Page
07-18-2008, 6:36 PM
Jack, I don’t know what brand it is but it’s not a Starrett. Starrett’s have a different thumb wheel and are marked on the bubble side of the base.

Sorry for the crappy pic. My daughter has my good camera.:(

Clint Jones
07-18-2008, 7:44 PM
I would say it is Union Tool Co.

Jack Camillo
07-18-2008, 9:16 PM
Amazing how similar they all are. I have an old starrett (that I just uncovered, and it's marked as such) combination square (same donor) and the thumb screw is exactly the same, but the blade doesn't fit. The japanning is EXACTLY the same. Go figure. So, I guess the mystery has not been solved. I'm thinking now maybe Brown and Sharp produced for others?? I saw the old starretts on a few websites and it doesn't match - the checkering on one older model and the lack of markings.

Johnny Kleso
07-18-2008, 9:59 PM
B&S and Starrett's will have their name stamped on them..

Also Starrett's have a nut that has two full raidus straight knurls with a rounded point at top..

http://catalog.starrett.com/catalog/images/objects/3500/3475.jpg

Bruce Page
07-18-2008, 10:48 PM
B&S and Starrett's will have their name stamped on them..

Also Starrett's have a nut that has two full raidus straight knurls with a rounded point at top..

Also, Starrett makes two grades (both good). The one Johnny shows is the cast iron version, while the gloss black ones are hardened.