PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist jointer?

Kent E. Matthew
07-17-2008, 3:37 PM
How many of you would jump on this deal?

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/tls/755248050.html

If so what am I looking at for upkeep and maintainence for this machine to get it working in tip top condition?

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-17-2008, 3:42 PM
It is probably in fine condition is the ad is honest.
I'd guess you will spend nothing but maybe sharpening the blades.

Of course you have to go look and feel.

David G Baker
07-17-2008, 4:04 PM
Sounds good to me. I would check it out if I was in the market for a jointer. I have an old Craftsman that I could probably sell for that much.

Jon Grider
07-17-2008, 5:07 PM
It sounds like a good deal,but if you're in the market for a jointer,you may want to think about an 8" or larger one.

glenn bradley
07-17-2008, 5:15 PM
As mentioned, don't be one of the many of us that had a 6" for a year and then bought an 8". Some folks do fine with 6" machines and have no desire for wider. Just consider your needs before you drop the coin.

As for upkeep, knives are about it if the use is described honestly. I would check the tables and their movement for worn ways, fence for good function. The pic looks OK.

Matt Meiser
07-17-2008, 5:16 PM
The Rockwell "peace symbol" is considered by some to be the mark of the devil. I'd have to believe that it is as good or better quality than most anything you'd buy new today. For comparison, I bought an older Powermatic, 3-phase, in need of tear-down restoration for the same price and was happy with what I paid.

One drawback I do see is that it appears that it has the style fence that is mounted from the end rather than the middle. I'm personally not fond of that style because in my experience the fence isn't as solid.