PDA

View Full Version : Last couple of weeks....

Ed Sallee
07-17-2008, 2:44 PM
A couple of weeks work.... After taking a few weeks off...I got started back up on or around July 6th.... Some of you have seen some of these pics already....

Top Left: Finished the lining on the Bubinga, Ebony & Tulipwood box. After a long period of deciding what to line it with, I went with flocking. For the very first time. I liked using the flocking and it turned out well. Will probably do a little better next time around. Anyway, I started flocking this on July 6th...had to seal the hardboard bottoms first, which I hadn't done yet...Box went to my niece in MN and she should receive tomorrow.

Top Right: My wife, who is Brazilian, visited a small village in Brazil last April and brought me back some nice wood called Jacaranda that a local knifemaker gave her. This box has Birdseye Maple for the lid, Curly Maple for the sides, Ebony for the trim & handle holders. Finally, Jacaranda for the legs and the handle. My wife's nephew, from Brazil was visiting and the LOML insisted I return something back with him to give to the knifemaker. So, four species of scrap, glued together with a little TLC is already in Brazil, waiting to be delivered to the knifemaker.

Bottom Left: My box to Brazil looks pretty good next to LOML's napkin box.... made that about a year ago, but thought I'd show how nice it (accidently) matched the other one... but, they're split up and never to be seen together again.

Bottom Right: This is what's on my bench as I type. Bevelled boxes. I tried to make three boxes at the same time, and it seemed to work better to focus on one and move on.... so, my BLO needs to dry one more day on the Jatoba & Yellowheart... then I can lacquer and flock by the weekend. Then I'll move to the Curly Maple & Bloodwood box...messed up the lid, have to make a new one... but, the messed up lid will most likely hang around and become a slightly smaller lid to my next project....which I'm sure is right around the corner.

What have ya'all been up to the last couple of weeks?
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/FourinOne.jpg

Jack Camillo
07-17-2008, 3:15 PM
"What have ya'all been up to the last couple of weeks?"

Job, cookouts, lounging in the pool, family gatherings, dining out... I'm sick of it. Need to get back in the shop.

Mike Cutler
07-17-2008, 7:50 PM
Very nice work Ed. Those boxes are gorgeous.
Ordinarily I'm not a big fan of mixing up a lot of different woods in a project. It tends to detract from the overall.

The different woods you used however go very well together and are an integral part of the design element itself. Nice work.