PDA

View Full Version : New Door Knob To Fit Old Door

Joe Piechocki
07-17-2008, 2:31 PM
I have old 1-5/16" thick hollow doors in the house.A doorknob broke on one of the doors for the bedroom.They don't make door knobs to fit 1-7/8" holes any more.
Is there a trick to get a new doorknob to fit these doors?Or anybody know where I can buy a couple?

Lee Schierer
07-17-2008, 3:51 PM
Try Van Dykes Restoration Hardware (http://www.vandykes.com/) they have lots of old door hardware and parts.

Joe Piechocki
07-17-2008, 4:19 PM
I checked out the site.I don't want anything fancy.Just a plain brass looking door knob set.Like kiwi sets at home depot.

Bill Dunn jr
07-17-2008, 4:31 PM
There is a lockset drilling jig you can buy for not that much $$. You clamp it around the door centered over the old hole and it guides the drill. It is intended for production installation in blank doors but it works for this application very well. The one I have is made by Kwikset, I do not know who carries it anymore.

Good luck
Bill

Leo Graywacz
07-17-2008, 6:12 PM
There is a lockset drilling jig you can buy for not that much $$. You clamp it around the door centered over the old hole and it guides the drill. It is intended for production installation in blank doors but it works for this application very well. The one I have is made by Kwikset, I do not know who carries it anymore.

Good luck
Bill

What do you need a jig for. Get a piece of plywood and use a 2 1/8" holesaw and make a hole in it. Clamp this plywood/hole to your door in the proper position (2 3/8" or 2 3/4" on center) from the edge of the door. Go half way through and then repeat on the other side.

Joe Piechocki
07-17-2008, 7:05 PM
You are the second person today.To tell me that.Also Kwikset has a universal latch to fit the doors.Now I have to find one.I think this is what I will do.Thanks for all the help.

Bill Dunn jr
07-17-2008, 10:41 PM
What do you need a jig for. Get a piece of plywood and use a 2 1/8" holesaw and make a hole in it. Clamp this plywood/hole to your door in the proper position (2 3/8" or 2 3/4" on center) from the edge of the door. Go half way through and then repeat on the other side.

Sorry, the one I have is more a tool than a jig, and I never pass up an oppurtunity to buy a new tool.

Reed Wells
07-18-2008, 7:38 PM
I've done hundreds of doors, used to be a trim carpenter. Do what Leo said, works every time.