PDA

View Full Version : First bowl out of my Spalted Maple stash.

Toney Robertson
07-17-2008, 1:01 PM
That large spalted maple tree finally yielded it's first bowl. I had to stabilize large sections of it with CA but I think it was worth it.

7 3/4" x 2" - Antique oil finish. I did not like the flat finish of the oil so I buffed it. Gave it just a slight shine which I liked. I am not crazy about the yellow tint it gave the wood so I will try something else next time.

Wall thickness of about 3/16". When I started I was going to make it thicker but it warped more than I thought.

I don't ever recall seeing wood with the red streaks that this had in it. I really liked that feature of this particular piece of wood.

Toney

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/130-30.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/130-30A.jpg

Mike Minto
07-17-2008, 1:11 PM
toney, i can't see your pics - is it me, or ? mike

Edit - it was me, my computer at work filtered them. What I meant to say was, WOW! Very nice wood (the spalting looks as though it is flowing over and over itself) and form. Great job!

Steve Schlumpf
07-17-2008, 1:23 PM
Toney - beautiful bowl! Outstanding colors, spalt lines and form! Hope you have tons of this stuff just waiting to be turned! One of the prettiest spalted bowls I've seen in a long time! Thanks for posting!

Burt Alcantara
07-17-2008, 1:51 PM
Beautiful bowl and outstanding wood. I have some maple blanks seasoning. Hope they are even a pinch as nice as yours.

Burt

Bernie Weishapl
07-17-2008, 2:20 PM
Great looking bowl with some beautiful wood.

curtis rosche
07-17-2008, 3:50 PM
awsome wood and great bowl

Bruce Pennell
07-17-2008, 4:08 PM
Toney great job...neat wood...can't wait to see more...Bruce

Brian Brown
07-17-2008, 4:54 PM
Great looking wood and an excellent job of turning it.

Dan Oliphant
07-17-2008, 5:30 PM
Toney, that bowl has extreme visual interest. I like the understated design you used that allows the wood to take center stage.
Well done.

Jon Lanier
07-17-2008, 6:27 PM
Really great looking bowl!

charlie knighton
07-17-2008, 6:37 PM
very nice ...

robert hainstock
07-17-2008, 6:40 PM
Awesome spalting on that piece, amd being a thin bowl guy, I realy lie what you've done with it. A+ :D:D:D
Bob

Robert McGowen
07-17-2008, 7:54 PM
Everything that I thought has been said at least 6 times...........:rolleyes:

So, I will just say "very nice!"

Matt Hutchinson
07-17-2008, 8:09 PM
Sweet bowl! Love it!

Granted box elder is a maple, but do other maple species have red streaks? I have never heard of this happening in other maple species.

Hutch

Clara Koss
07-17-2008, 8:09 PM
really great colors and shape.... just right on thickness and great photography:D!!!!

Bill Bolen
07-17-2008, 9:17 PM
No more adjectives for me to use..Except I love it! That curve is just perfect for this beautiful wood…Bill…

Toney Robertson
07-17-2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks to all for the nice comments.

Steve, I have quite a bit of this spalted maple. Not all is this heavily spalted but there is some very interesting pieces. I have one plank that is 22" or so wide by 8 feet long and 5" thick that is pretty heavily spalted. I am working on a piece now that if I can make it work I will REALLY like.

Matt, I wondered about the red/pink spots. I first thought that they were caused from something that the wood came in contact with after it was cut but the color ran through the piece.

Clara, I appreciate the comment of the pictures. I have worked hard through several versions of my light tent and I feel that I am getting close to maximizing my photos.

As far as the form, I am a minimalist. In general, less is more, especially when dealing with outstanding wood such as this. IMO wood like this needs no fluff, tricks or embellishments, just do your best to stay out of it's way.

It was a challenging chunk of wood because the wood was quite punky in several spots. I tried Minwax wood hardener and it was an abysmal failure. Almost cost me the piece. So far, this early in my bowl career, CA is the only way to go when it comes to firming up wood.

Thanks again.

Toney

lynn smith
07-17-2008, 10:51 PM
WOW!!
Up goes the bar again.