PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite log bowl

Don McIvor
07-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Many of you have probably noted the boxes of mesquite that Robert McGowen has been selling over on the classifieds forum. I bought one of the boxes and this is the first finished piece from the assortment he sent.
Although this is not my first winged bowl, it is my first incorporating the form of the log. There are some things I'll do differently next time, mostly related to subtle design issues. For example, there was some beautiful feather grain in the crotch pattern, most of which ended up as mulch in my garden. Next time I'll make the bowl smaller relative to the log to keep more of that figure in the piece.

This was my first time turning green mesquite. I found it to be very forgiving and a lot of fun to turn (except the part where I hit the worm in the sapwood).
Comments/critiques welcomed.

Cheers!

Don

robert hainstock
07-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Gee, I'm disapointed. The mesquite I recieved has no crawly protien in it. Tha's a nice finished project tho. Hafta try one of those soon. :):)
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
07-17-2008, 1:20 PM
Don - very nice form to your 'log' bowl! Beautiful wood! Looking forward to seeing your next one!

Mike Vickery
07-17-2008, 1:43 PM
That is an outstanding piece. Congrats!

Bernie Weishapl
07-17-2008, 2:20 PM
The bowl is a beauty with some beautiful wood.

Bruce Pennell
07-17-2008, 4:07 PM
Great looking winged bowl. They sure are a lot of fun to turn...Bruce

Curt Fuller
07-17-2008, 8:46 PM
Wow, that's a nice bowl Don! I'm impressed with how flat and well finished the wings are. Does it sit on a foot or rock on a round bottom?

Allen Neighbors
07-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Ditto all the above.
Worms are free, too. Isn't that nice? :D

lynn smith
07-17-2008, 10:48 PM
Don,
Very beautiful piece.
I love the winged bowls.
Seeing your's makes me want to try one.

Don McIvor
07-18-2008, 12:38 AM
Thanks to all for your very kind comments!

Curt- the bowl sits on a foot. My father happened to be visiting at the time I was finishing the bowl and I asked for his input--foot, or no? He voted foot.

Next one will be a round bottom (which would have been my vote) and will find its own angle of repose.

Cheers-

Don

Robert McGowen
07-18-2008, 10:59 AM
Another bowl that makes my wife ask me why I don't do something like that. I just say, "Uhhh, skill?" Seriously though, nice work. Glad you are enjoying the wood. No extra charge for the worm! :eek:

Don McIvor
07-18-2008, 1:57 PM
No extra charge for the worm! :eek:

It's amazing how thin you can slice one with a really sharp bowl gouge. I could probably get a job in a deli...

Don