PDA

View Full Version : Montgomer Ward RAS

Jerome Hanby
07-17-2008, 8:39 AM
Found this locally. Owner describes it as as an Older Montgomery Wards model. The pictures look good to me. Asking price is $85. Any opinions?

Michael Schumacher
07-17-2008, 8:45 AM
I'd say for $85 and if it runs, sounds good on startup - then get it if you have room in the shop for it.

I've been looking for one, but just never have got one just for one reason - SPACE - I'm so tight now, I can't justify it.

Michael

Don Bullock
07-17-2008, 9:08 AM
That saw looks a lot like the MW RAS that my dad had in the late '60s in a different color. The one my dad had was light brown as I recall. I cut a lot of wood on that saw. For its time it was a good saw. If I had room for one and it works well I'd buy it for that price.

Jerome Hanby
07-17-2008, 9:27 AM
Thanks guys. I'm trying to setup a time to go take a look now. I've got a buddy with an old Craftsman RAS that seems solid as a rock. Assuming, they both run well and I can get either for about the same money, any opinions one over the other?

For that matter, my Dad has a Craftsman RAS that's about 20 years old that's he's always been nervous about using (maybe for good reason, he got it cheap from Sears because the original buyer couldn't get it assembled. I figured out how to assemble it before I left home!) As I recall, it has some electronics on it. I don't recall cast iron parts, but that may be my faulty memory.

Terry Browne
07-17-2008, 1:09 PM
I would not recommend this saw at any price because these poor quality RAS's are difficult keep properly aligned. Also, the blade guard on this one has no barrier between the user and the blade which makes it dangerous to use. Remember that the blade virtually disappears when the saw running and you can easily forget where the blade is. Many woodworker have lost digits because of this problem. Better saws can be had for the same price.

Jerome Hanby
07-17-2008, 1:33 PM
Thanks for the reply Terry. I just found a Dewalt 740 for about the same money and your post makes the decision tree a lot clearer!

Bill Wyko
07-17-2008, 1:43 PM
If you're near Tucson AZ I'll give you one.:)

Jerome Hanby
07-17-2008, 4:18 PM
Wow, probably the only place in the USA hotter than it is here in Birmingham.

If you're near Tucson AZ I'll give you one.:)

Robin Cruz
07-17-2008, 10:18 PM
I wouldnt want it. Use up too much room for no use. Cant envision a use for it. Dont even think they make RAS anymore.

Dwain Lambrigger
07-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Montgomery Wards doesn't make anything anymore...

There are several vendors that still make RAS. They are simply not as popular as they used to be due to the danger posed by using an improperly tuned saw, and in the wrong way. As has been stated so many times before, ripping is a BAD IDEA. But dades and crosscuts with the right blade are fine.