PDA

View Full Version : sawstop v sawstop

david kramer
07-16-2008, 11:49 PM
I'm looking for a new table saw. I've used a SawStop cabinet saw quite a lot and really like the saw. I believe in buying the best tools you can afford, once in your life. So if I had ample room, I'd buy one despite the cost. But I have a garage shop with limited space and I would prefer something mobile. I'm wondering about the contractor saw. Sure it's way overpriced relative to competing products, but once you've drunk the coolaid on the cabinet saw, the contractor saw seems downright affordable :). I'd buy it with the good fence and cast iron wings.

There is a mobile base for the cab saw, but at 650 lbs I just can't see myself moving it much. The contractor saw is "only" 280 lbs, which seems more practical. I'm kind of thinking about it not as buying a contractor saw, but as buying one of the best "mobile" saws on the market. I'm wondering what I'd be giving relative to the cabinet saw? The 1.5 hp motor is one obvious drawback. With the right kind of blade and if it's sharp etc. it will probably cut anything I'm likely to throw at it. But I wonder if I'll be spending my time installing blades and tuning the saw?

Other than the lower power motor, any other gotchas that might make me regret buying the contractor saw?

I'm definitely an amateur woodworker and I don't work very fast. So this saw isn't going to see anything like a production shop environment. I know that there are many terrific woodworkers out there who produce amazing pieces on inexpensive saws, so maybe I'm just being a whiner? It's okay to go ahead and tell me so :).

Thx
David

Rick Potter
07-17-2008, 3:40 AM
If you can afford it, get the cabinet saw. Your main concerns seem to be mobility and space. If you get the cabinet saw with a 30" fence, it won't take up hardly any extra space over the contractor saw. Even at that weight, a good mobile base would not be that hard to move around.

I cut the fence on my Unisaw down to 30" and it works fine for 90% of what I need. Just use a skill saw to knock plywood down to size before final cutting.

Buy once and never regret it. Personally I cannot recall ever thinking "boy, I wish I had gotten the cheaper one".

Rick Potter

Heather Thompson
07-17-2008, 5:59 AM
David,

As far as mobility is concerned, I would not worry about it. Personally do no own a Sawstop, have a PM66 with Incra TSIII fence (92" rails) and 1" thick phenolic tables, router lift and PC7518 in the right wing. I can roll the saw around the shop (garage) with no problem, get the cabnet saw, better dust collection and no motor hanging off the back. My .02

Heather

Kerry Adams
07-17-2008, 8:01 AM
Good Morning,

I have a brand new sawstop contractor in my garage right now. Have not powered up yet, but bought for the exact same reason you are considering. Putting it togeather was a joy, and it is solid, and very moveable. PM with any questions.

Thanks,

Kerry

Scott Haddix
07-17-2008, 8:21 AM
I have to agree with Heather. I also have a PM66 with 50" rails, PC7518 router, and underside cabinets full of bits and blades all on mobile base and I move it around with no issues in my garage workshop.

Don Bullock
07-17-2008, 9:20 AM
Ill preface my comments by saying that I have a 5 hp SS cabinet saw. It's fantastic.

If mobility is your only concern then buy the cabinet saw. The new SS mobile base is excellent. As far as space requirements it seems to me that the cabinet saw, because the motor is enclosed, may not be any bigger than the contractors model. I'd suggest that you check that out at local dealers who have the two models set up. While you're there check out the other differences in the two models, and if they are on mobile bases, try moving them.

Alan Schwabacher
07-17-2008, 1:10 PM
I've got the Sawstop contractor saw with the good fence and cast iron wings, and don't anticipate any problems cutting anything I need to. There is no question that the cabinet saw is a nicer saw, but this one is quite good and meets all my needs. The Sawstop mobile base for it is extremely nice.

The mobility that matters most in terms of comparing these two saws is up and down, not sideways: if you need to get it into and out of a basement woodshop, the contractor saw is much easier to deal with.

I had already determined that my use of a tablesaw was consistent with a 1.5 HP motor. If you don't know that about yourself, you could be making a mistake getting a saw with that limitation.

Peter Melanson
07-17-2008, 1:36 PM
I own a SS with the 52 in extensions and had it in the single bay of a 3 car with 2 cars usually in. I have mine on the HTC mobile base and have seen the SS mobile base as well 1st hand. Go for the full cabinet saw weight is not an issue with the mobile bases are very easy for 1 person to to manuver. If you need to, go with the 30 inch fence, no fence or one that folds down. You will love the saw and it will not take up much more room than the contractor saw when you really look at it with the suggested modifications. Good Luck

Peter

Mike Goetzke
07-17-2008, 2:08 PM
Another non-SS owner but can easily move this around in my garage (until the casters got dirtied up it actually rolled almost too easily). With the out feed table, Incra miter gage/positioner, and all the stuff I store in the cabinet I'm sure it weighs more than a SS:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Unisaw%20Cabinet/th_IMG_0906_3_1.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Unisaw%20Cabinet/IMG_0906_3_1.jpg)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Unisaw%20Cabinet/th_IMG_0905_4_1.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Unisaw%20Cabinet/IMG_0905_4_1.jpg)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Unisaw%20Cabinet/th_IMG_0902_1_1.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Unisaw%20Cabinet/IMG_0902_1_1.jpg)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Unisaw%20Cabinet/th_IMG_0904_2_1.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Unisaw%20Cabinet/IMG_0904_2_1.jpg)

NICK BARBOZA
07-17-2008, 2:33 PM
i have a 3hp SS 52" fence with their mobile base. I love it!

the one question you should ask yourself is: do you need a cabinet saw? i used an old craftsman 1.5hp for a few years but was disappointed with its power, thus i went bigger. It sounds like the cabinet saw might be more than you need.

if you have been happy with the power stick with the contractor style. as for the mobility i can push my saw around with one hand, and with 4 swiveling wheels you can turn on a dime.

cheers,
Nick

Joe Mioux
07-17-2008, 9:49 PM
The mobile base that SS provides is wonderful.

I saw the mobile base on the SS CS, and the quality isn't comparable to the SS cabinet saw.

The Cabinet saw base uses a hydraulic piston to raise the saw. the casters are excellent.

Customer Service is another issue. I have had one great CS rep and one hideous, horrible, #$@@%$%)()__&&&, rep.

even though the good rep didn't follow through and credit me the full amount (for a problem i encountered) that she promised.

Great saws, questionable, based on my experience, customer service.

Joe.

P.S. being a small business owner, I generally side with the co of customer service issues, not this time. SS Customer Service or policies have left a bad taste in my mouth

jason lambert
07-17-2008, 10:20 PM
I was int hte same boat and wound up with the cabnet saw, mainly because the contractor saw was not avaiable yet but I am glad I got the cabnet saw.

The mobial base is awesome and not hard to move at all. I move mind all the time. The only down side is trying to get it into my driveway there is a 2" lip on my gurage door which it will not clear had to build a little ramp but still rubs a little it has like 1/2 clearance. Other than that no proble with the weight the thing rolls really easy. I would go to your dealer and try moving one you will be impressed, not hard at all.

david kramer
07-18-2008, 5:03 PM
Thanks for all of the thoughtful replies. My only concern is moving the tool around a slab garage floor, and it sounds like a non-isssue. I've made up my mind to buy the cabinet saw and I'm sure that I won't regret it.