PDA

View Full Version : How to fasten trim in metal-frame buildings?

Jamie Buxton
07-16-2008, 11:05 PM
In wood-frame buildings, there's lots of trim which gets fastened with finish nails --- baseboards, crown molding, etc. How does that stuff get applied in a building framed with metal?

Eddie Watkins
07-17-2008, 1:33 AM
I used self-tapping screws and drilled through the base board and into the metal base plate on the wall. I made sure to inset the heads so I could cover them with filler.

Matt Ocel
07-17-2008, 8:19 AM
Trim screws.
You can get them everywhere. Yes, even borg. They are spendy, but they got a brazzilion uses.

http://www.grkfasteners.com/en/TRIM_0_information.htm

Jamie Buxton
07-17-2008, 9:44 AM
I considered trim screws, but despite the name they have a pretty large head -- roughly equivalent to a #7 normal screw. There's little way to putty over that in clear-coated hardwood. I'd have to use hardwood plugs, trim them flat, and then varnish the trim afterwards.

David G Baker
07-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Jamie,
I thought you meant metal trim to metal building frame. You may need a wood backing for the wood if you want to use wood trim and hide the fasteners.

James Davis
07-17-2008, 10:34 AM
I have used construction adhesive and a trim nailer. You use the glue on the back of the trim and then with the nailer you shoot two nails at opposing angles to each other sort of crossing to hold the wood to the drywall until the adhesive sets. You need to use long nails and a rather severe angle on the nails. It is amazing how strong just the nails in the drywall is, but I would still use the adhesive. Do not try to hit the metal studs with the nails.

James Davis

Steve Clardy
07-17-2008, 1:11 PM
I have used construction adhesive and a trim nailer. You use the glue on the back of the trim and then with the nailer you shoot two nails at opposing angles to each other sort of crossing to hold the wood to the drywall until the adhesive sets. You need to use long nails and a rather severe angle on the nails. It is amazing how strong just the nails in the drywall is, but I would still use the adhesive. Do not try to hit the metal studs with the nails.

James Davis

Ditto. That method works well.

Jim Becker
07-18-2008, 8:08 PM
Some folks will actually install a wood bottom plate under the metal channel to provide a nailer. But trim screws are typical in many cases where metal stud construction is used.