PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else prefer corded over cordless drills?

Jon Grider
07-16-2008, 5:25 PM
After reading the thread about the Kawasaki cordless drill experience of another member,I started to think about my own experiences with cordless drills.I've had several:DeWalt,Delta[junk],and the one that lasted the longest for me,an old Freud13.2 V.I have to say though,I've never been overly impressed with any of them.I do admit their convenience and ability to work on the jobsite away from the grid,and I do still have one of them around somewhere,but as most of my work is done inside within the confines of my shop,I am perfectly content with a couple of medium priced corded Hitachis.IMO,the power and reliability of even mid priced corded drills overshadows the convenience of cordless in many situations.Add to that the crazy expense of a decent quality cordless drill and the continuous futzing around with the charger and batteries and it makes them less attractive to me.
Ubiquitous as they are,I'd venture to say many people buy their yellow cordless drills and rarely really need a cordless over a corded drill.I guess they do make nice Christmas gifts though.Just a couple of thoughts.

Eric DeSilva
07-16-2008, 5:35 PM
I like cordless tools for their convenience, esp. my little bosch power driver, but would never get rid of my corded drill. For serious torque, there is no substitute for 120V.

Burt Alcantara
07-16-2008, 5:35 PM
I use a corded drill for sanding lathe turnings. I also use corded for heavy torque operations. For these tasks, the batteries drain too quickly or I can't get enough torque.

Burt

David G Baker
07-16-2008, 5:41 PM
If I have some very heavy and continuous drilling I use corded drills. I had to drive a serious amount of 3 inch deck screws, I pre drilled with corded and drove the screws with a cordless. I used a 12 volt Makita to screw in over 3000 3 inch screws. The Makita didn't have enough power to drive the screws with out pre drilling.

Robin Cruz
07-16-2008, 5:55 PM
I havent used a corded 1 hand drill in 15 years.

Greg Cole
07-16-2008, 6:01 PM
I have a Makita 18V L-ion impact driver I LOVE. I did about 300 sq feet of decking with it on 2 charges (driving 2 1/2" screws in predrilled holes, predrilled with a corded drill) I also have a Milwaukee 28V L-ion that has all the power of the corded Milwaukee 1/2" Hole Shooter Magnum and is a hammer drill too or at least as much of a hammer drill you will find in a cordless variety. The MKE drill has led's for battery status & they charge in an hour max. L-ion has no battery fade nor memory like the Ni Cad offering either. Both the 1/2" corded and the cordless 28V can & will make pretzels of your arms drilling into steel. DAMKHIT.
There are certain tasks where the RPM of corded is preferable still, such as pocket holes ala a Kreg jig....
I know nothing of Kawasaki tools, but I do know they make some decent gas fired machinery... I loved my KX80 like ya read about. The first time ya hit the power band was an eye opener for an 8 year old.:D

FWIW.
Greg

Mike Henderson
07-16-2008, 6:24 PM
The only time I use a corded drill is when I need a hammer drill to make a large, deep hole in concrete. And if it's a small hole, I'll use a cordless hammer drill.

Mike

glenn bradley
07-16-2008, 6:44 PM
I use corded anytime I need the higher speeds.

Jeff Duncan
07-16-2008, 6:56 PM
I use both frequently. I have several Makita's, 2 Ryobi's, and a Porter Cable cordless, along with my Porter Cable 3/8" and Milwaukee 1/2" (for the big jobs) corded drills. There are times when I use 4 of them at a time set up with different bits. It just depends on what I'm doing and where I'm doing it.
The biggest cordless benefit for me was the clutch, It's invaluable for the type of work I do. My newest member, (although it stays at home for stuff around the house) is a Ryobi corded drill. I bought it b/c it was the only one I could find with a clutch. Seems like since just about every cordless drill has a clutch it wouldn't be a big deal to put them on the corded drills. But I just don't see too many.:confused:
JeffD

Peter Quadarella
07-16-2008, 6:59 PM
I use a corded when I'm doing pocket screws, but cordless all the time otherwise. Cords just annoy me. Wireless electricity, that's what we need :D.

Peter Quinn
07-16-2008, 7:02 PM
If I have some very heavy and continuous drilling I use corded drills. I had to drive a serious amount of 3 inch deck screws, I pre drilled with corded and drove the screws with a cordless. I used a 12 volt Makita to screw in over 3000 3 inch screws. The Makita didn't have enough power to drive the screws with out pre drilling.

David, I think you have the wrong Makita. My 14.4V impact driver will push a 3" screw through a deck board and out the other side of the framing if I don't release the trigger.

I like cordless drills for small bits and assemblies where I'm moving around a lot. Or for remote locations where cords are inconvenient. For concrete its a corded Hilti or Milwaukee. I like a corded drill for pocket holes in hard wood too.

Now reciprocating saws? I have no need for a cordless saw. I'd rather lug a generator up on a roof than carry a cordless saw with me!:D

Jacob Reverb
07-16-2008, 7:04 PM
In the shop, I use a corded drill. Around the house, I'll use the cordless.

Matt Ocel
07-16-2008, 7:05 PM
Man, - I could not live without my 18V Dewalt and more importantly my 18V impact driver. I do alot of exterior handicap rails in which I need to drive 3/8" x 3" screw anchors into concrete and there ain't nothin like the drill driver. I still carry my dewalt 1/2" corded in case I run out of battery, but still once you get the drill driver you won't go back.

John Shuk
07-16-2008, 7:11 PM
Cordless can be convenient but I don't get to the shop as much as I would like so cordless doesn't get the use that it should and doesn't perform as well as it should for me.
A ryobi would have died long ago with my infrequent use but I have a Milwaukee cordless drill that keeps on going even though it needs a charge a bit more often.

Rob Blaustein
07-16-2008, 9:01 PM
Corded for pocket holes, cordless for most everything else. Though I have to say, if I drill a lot of pocket holes I notice that my corded drill (a Dewalt) is way less comfortable for my hand and wrist than my cordless. I've always wondered why corded drills don't have that nice shape that the cordless ones have--unless I'm just not aware of them. Do they make any corded ones like that?

Ron Dunn
07-16-2008, 9:13 PM
Cordless ... if you classify my brace a a cordless drill :)

If we're talking about electricity then I prefer corded. My preferred method of joining is dowelling, and until I bought a brace I used both a corded and a cordless drill. I didn't like the cordless because I got tired of power running down in the middle of a job. A cord gave better, continuous power, without the weight/balance issues of a battery pack.

Tom Esh
07-16-2008, 9:27 PM
...I've always wondered why corded drills don't have that nice shape that the cordless ones have--unless I'm just not aware of them. Do they make any corded ones like that?

You mean like this one...
http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=19030

I've had my eye on it since they into'd it awhile back, but my 30yr old C'Man industrial grade with selectable reduction just refuses to die.:) OTOH, with no battery weight hanging off the handle it probably still wouldn't feel quite as balanced as a cordless.

Rob Blaustein
07-16-2008, 10:07 PM
You mean like this one...
http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=19030

I've had my eye on it since they into'd it awhile back, but my 30yr old C'Man industrial grade with selectable reduction just refuses to die.:) OTOH, with no battery weight hanging off the handle it probably still wouldn't feel quite as balanced as a cordless.

Well, that's certainly closer than the one I have. I wonder how it feels--looks a bit top heavy.

Travis Rassat
07-16-2008, 10:24 PM
I like my corded drill for doweling.

Rich Engelhardt
07-17-2008, 5:55 AM
Hello,
Last year about this time my Firestorm cordless took a nose dive off a step ladder & developed a nasty crack in the body. I debated long and hard, the pro's/con's of buying another cordless, or simply buying a good corded drill - or two.

I ended up replacing the Firestorm with an 18V DeWalt (actually two since the price of the kit was about equal to a replacement battery - so I bought two kits).

With 4 houses - our own and three rentals - to take care of, I find myself needing a drill/driver far too often in places a corded tool would be a problem.

With, at last count, 8, cordless drills or drivers, at least one is bound to have enough of a charge in the battery to finish a job.

Lance Norris
07-17-2008, 6:08 AM
I have a corded Black and Decker...an older one, Made in America. I couldnt tell you where it is. Maybe under the bench somewhere. I doubt I will be needing it anytime soon. Cordless all the way.

Oh... the count at present is: 4~18v Ryobis, 1~9.6v Dewalt and 1~9.6v Bosch.

Tim Thomas
07-17-2008, 8:47 AM
I've got both corded and cordless drills/drivers, and one thing I like about the cordless over the corded in certain situations is the added safety of no cord to trip over. When I have to get up on a ladder or move around a room and use the drill in a lot of different locations (like last weekend when I was hanging blinds in our kitchen) I like that there isn't a cord in my way. I can be a bit of a klutz sometimes, so I reach for my cordless drill any time I can decrease my chances of knocking something over or tripping.

But when I'm in the shop and doing a lot of drilling/screwing in one location (like during an assembly) I'll reach for my corded drill because of the speed, power and decreased weight. Corded and cordless both have a place in my shop and I wouldn't give up either one.

Dan Regan
07-17-2008, 9:03 AM
I have had two or three different cordless drills (and some other cordless tools as well) and everyone one, has left me wanting more. I'll stick with my corded tools, I have never found the "cord" to be a big issue, and love now worrying about the battery.

Greg Hines, MD
07-17-2008, 9:53 AM
I have a 12v Makita and an 18v Ryobi that I do most of my drilling and all of my driving with, and a Craftsman corded hammer drill that I use for pocket screws, concrete drilling and any other heavy duty work. It does not have a clutch on it, so for most any driving of screws or lags, I use cordless.

Doc

Randal Stevenson
07-17-2008, 10:01 AM
Cordless drills and drivers:
Ridgid Impact
Bosch Impactor and hopefully soon the PS20 drill
5 Makita 9.6 volt (all of them gifts or estate)
15.6 volt Panasonic (my go to cordless)
14.4 Craftsman "gift" alleged drill

Corded
3/8" DeWalt VSR
3/8" Ryobi VSR with clutch
1/2" DeWalt Hammer drill
at least two, antique, 1/4" drive, NON REVERSIBLE drills

Cordless is fine for ladder, or occassional use, corded is still the go to.

Paul Johnstone
07-17-2008, 11:29 AM
I guess they do make nice Christmas gifts though.Just a couple of thoughts.

I've had two cordless drills, both gifts. Most members in my family love them, but they are generally too underpowered. They are nice for things like installing electrical outlets, putting drywall screws in drywall, driving in pocket screws, but it's such a PITA for me to keep batteries charged. And even freshly charged ones don't seem to last long with age.

I'd much rather deal with an extension cord.

Dwain Lambrigger
07-17-2008, 11:58 AM
I have Milwaukee corded hammer drill, use for concrete. A DeWalt corded drill for spade bits, and other really large work. I use cordless for all screws and most of my woodworking. I believe you should have both in your arsenal.

Steve Perez
07-17-2008, 12:57 PM
I too prefer corded. I mostly use my corded Milwaukee Holeshooter for most of my drilling even if I have to drag the extension cord. For driving though I mostly use my small 12v li-ion Milwaukee driver. With this type combo i keep battery swapping to a minimum.

I too would be interested in a well balanced corded drill/driver but with a clutch mechanism much like this Black and Decker.

http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide/Product-Details.aspx?ProductID=19972

If a higher quality maker made one I would strongly consider. Although I do have an older very well used B&D corded drill driver that I am sure is older than me, it had a metal gear/motor outer casing not plastic.

Nissim Avrahami
07-17-2008, 1:46 PM
Yeap, I also love them "corded".......

Even the "cordless" are "corded" to a 12V - 5AH motorcycle Sealed Lead-Acid battery....lasts for ever...almost...

By "cording" them, I reduced the weight significantly....very important for my old hands especially when screwing many screws or drilling many holes.

On the first pic, you can see 3 of them (disregard the text).

On the 2nd pic, another drill and the battery....The strap is to carry it on the shoulder when working on the ceiling, roof or just to carry it.

niki

Steve Perez
07-17-2008, 1:59 PM
Sad to say, Nissim, but I too have a few corded cordless drills :p

Except instead of an external battery, I tweaked the circuitry of their respective charger to increase the current supplied to the drill. Normal charging currents aren't adequate and usually you have to by-pass the soft charge or other smart charge system circuitry. Although I guess you could just buy an external variable power supply and provide a connection to your cordless drill and keep using them for ever.

Nissim Avrahami
07-17-2008, 2:20 PM
Hi Steve

The 3 drills that you see on the first pic above, are actually "corded" to a 12V - DC power supply (or if you want - transformer/rectifier) that can supply up to 300W or 25A...I checked the max Ampere drawing of the drills by locking the chuck and it's around 7~9A so no problems.

I found it in Japan in the garbage room...it was for some medical instrument.

As long as I work in the garage, I use the power supply (I made the cords long enough to reach the garage center).
The battery is for "external" works

niki

Steve Perez
07-17-2008, 2:42 PM
Thats the ticket Nissim!
At least I now know I am not the only one!

Nissim Avrahami
07-17-2008, 3:07 PM
Thats the ticket Nissim!
At least I now know I am not the only one!

And now, I know that I'm not the only one...:)

I use the 12V battery also for the "cordless" jig saw.

Regards
niki

David G Baker
07-17-2008, 4:09 PM
Peter,
The 12 volt Makita I used was back in the early 90's, I now use a 18 volt Ryobi but would love to have the newer Makitas but don't do enough work now to justify the expense.

David G Baker
07-17-2008, 4:13 PM
Nissim,
Awesome idea. I have an old 50 amp power supply that I once used to power a CB radio linear amplifier that has a variable volt adjustment on it. I will keep your idea in the back of my mind.

Ben Grunow
07-17-2008, 8:56 PM
Seems to me that the real advantage of the cordless is the brake. If you drive screws without one, there is a good chance of overdriving or breaking if you let your rpms get too high (corded).

Additionally, my makita 18v has so much power in low that it could really hurt the average user if it caught and you werent holding on.

I use the corded for big pre drill jobs (decks) and for pocket screw hole drilling but that is it.

And on the job, no tradesman would ever give up his cordless. No one

Stan Urbas
07-18-2008, 12:25 AM
You're kidding! They make drills with cords now? What will they think of next?

Rod Sheridan
07-18-2008, 12:01 PM
I have four cordless drills

- stanley eggbeater type (great for holes for small screws)
- a joist brace and a carpenters brace
- a two speed, double pinion eggbeater drill

I also have 4 corded drills

- 1/2 in Milwaukee magnum, most used
- Milwaukee Hole Hawg, drives auger bits, winches etc.
- Hilti hammer drill for concrete ( best hammer drill I've ever used)
- Walter hammer drill (superseded by the Hilti)

My experience with cordless drills is that they're great if you're doing light infrequent work.

If you're running auger bits in large diameters, or deep boring, they're not useful. Same for running hole saws in steel, which is a main application for my Millwaukee Magnum.

If you're mixing concrete, or powering a winch, or using large auger bits, the Hole Hawg can't be beaten.

The Hilti drills concrete as fast as most drills drill wood.

It all depends upon the application, however since my powered drills are used for work, they're all corded. To me it doesn't make sense to buy an expensive cordless drill when I have a good assortment of corded drills.

If I am installing small screws or drilling holes in drywall for anchors, I have two eggbeater drills to choose from, and after a cup of tea, their power source is all recharged.

Regards, Rod.

Jim Becker
07-18-2008, 8:51 PM
There are some tasks that a corded drill/driver is more suitable. I prefer it for metal work as well as pocket screw step drills. Otherwise, I'm typically a cordless user for drill/driver and have two. My corded drill is pretty old...a green B&D "homeowner" grade 3/8" chuck thing that has been hanging around for many, many years.