PDA

View Full Version : auction

byron constantine
07-16-2008, 3:51 PM
The school auction in my area just ended and the two powermatic lathes
went for a little over $1000 each. I had to refrain myself from bidding as
i just bought a new 1642.This always happens when i buy something. That
was a good deal on those lathes as they were fairly late models.
Byron

John Shuk
07-16-2008, 4:31 PM
If it wasn't a 3520 or 4224 you are better off with the Jet1642. It is a much more modern an versatile design than Powermatic's previous offerings.

Adam Bauer
07-16-2008, 5:27 PM
I was in the auction up till 850 since there was almost 20% in fees and taxes added on and I only had 1000 to spend. Also they were 3520a models.

One went for 1010 and the other for 1020. Sure hope those guys realized there was the buyers premium, admin fees, and sales tax (and that you had to pay in cash or money order) as that jumps the prices to about 1200 bucks each. I know they weren't reading at least some of the auction info as people were trying to "snipe" and the auction rules clearly stated that any bids in the last 5 minutes would cause 5 minutes to be added back to the auction.

I got excited as I was high bidder on one of the auctions and it got down to seconds left when somebody tried to "snipe" me, that set off about 25 min or so of more time being added on as different people ended up coming in and bidding in the final min or two.

Oh well, its back to the jet mini I go.

David Little
07-16-2008, 9:13 PM
I'm another jet mini owner dreaming about moving up, so I got my yard work this morning done in time to watch the end of the auction. I tried to jump in about ten minutes before the listed end of the auction but kept getting the message back that there were already higher bids. By the time I figured what the current bids were, they had already zoomed past my budget.