PDA

View Full Version : Clothes Dryer Heating Element

Mark Hulette
07-16-2008, 2:04 PM
How difficult is it to replace a dryer heating element? I haven't even had a chance to get to look at it yet. Just wondering how "involved" an operation it is. The dryer is about 10 years old and has been very dependable- hope I can squeeze out a couple more years out of this one.

Thanks!

Eddie Watkins
07-16-2008, 2:30 PM
I assume you are talking electric. It's been several years since I changed one so take this for what is worth. As I remember you take the back off which is probably the hardest part of it, the heating element I changed was sitting on the bottom under the drum. I had to take out several screws, inplug an electrical connection and put the new one in. Fairly straightforward. Seems like the heating element was about 1/3 the cost of the dryer. It has been awhile so I don't know how accurate hthis is. Maybe somebody else has more current information. Just remember when somebody says "All you got to do..." run like crazy!!!:D

Eddie

Joe Pelonio
07-16-2008, 3:28 PM
I replaced on on a Whirlpool Calypso just about a year ago. It took me about 20 minutes and the part was $70 at a local appliance parts store, they had it in stock. Just took a set of 1/4" socket wrenches. I was able to access it through the panel below the dryer door.

David G Baker
07-16-2008, 5:13 PM
If the heating element broke real close to the mounting screw you may be able to stretch the element a little and reconnect it. It may not be the best thing to do but I have done it a couple of times in the past and didn't have any problem. If the element broke in another area away from the mounting screws you will have to replace the element. It has been several years since I did the quick fix so things may have changed since then.

Al Willits
07-16-2008, 6:38 PM
If ya want give me at least brand and model and I might be able to get ya a manual tomm at work

Al

Don Abele
07-16-2008, 8:33 PM
Mark, while I have not replaced an element, I frequently remove the back of my dryers and give them a thorough clean and inspect (must be the Sailor in me performing preventative maintenance). Anyway, as others have indicated, it's fairly easy and straight forward to access it and remove it.

One thing I would recommend: weigh the cost of a new element vs the energy efficiency of a new dryer. if the part is 1/3 the cost of a new one, as stated above, I'd seriously consider a new dryer. New dryers are extremely energy efficient (and faster at drying) than your 10-year old model. Just a thought to keep in mind if you find that element is really expensive.

Best of luck with the repair, let us know how it turns out.

Be well,

Doc

Mark Hulette
07-17-2008, 9:12 AM
Well the verdict is in and it's not good... it's a terminal situation. :(:(:(

In looking up the model # I found that the dryer is closer to 20 years old :eek:~!

So my fears were confirmed when I searched GE's parts site to find the part is no longer offered (similar parts on other models were close to $200).

Decided to bite the bullet (I've got a lot of lead in mouth since we just moved into our new house last week!! :rolleyes:) and buy a new one. Had a 10% off coupon at Lowes that expired yesterday (good timing for once) and got a nice Maytag that had good reviews. I tried to buy "local" but the stores closed by the time I could make the determination to buy.

I can only hope that we get the same level of service out of this machine as the GE!

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions!