PDA

View Full Version : Todd Burch -- How's that Bubenga Table Coming

Scott Coffelt
04-23-2004, 9:56 AM
along? Have you started?

Todd Burch
04-23-2004, 10:09 AM
Nope, not started yet. Still working on that study project - which is about 10 days or less away from being ready to finish. I'm down to the details now. After study is finished, I'll do a couple quick built-ins and then get on the table.

Jim Becker
04-23-2004, 10:12 AM
Ya know, Todd...that hunk of 3.5" bubinga that Alan has/had would be perfect for leg stock for the table project. I somewhat kick myself for taking it out of my truck once I discovered it wasn't cherry. But then again, I couldn't anticipate a project for that species given the styles I work in.

Keith Starosta
04-23-2004, 10:12 AM
After seeing the post talking about all the equipment coming today, I was going to bust your chops a little about that study, and when we could see the finished pictures? ;)

Looking forward to it....

Keith

Todd Burch
04-23-2004, 10:36 AM
Keith, here are a couple teasers...

(That's my wife Connie will the putty - working those nail holes! YOU GO GIRL!)

Christopher Stahl
04-23-2004, 10:46 AM
Todd, this looks absolutely fantastic. I can't wait to see it when it is finished. Did you come up with this design or are you using purchased plans?

thanks,
chris

Keith Starosta
04-23-2004, 10:54 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

WOW!

Beautiful...

Dan Mages
04-23-2004, 11:11 AM
DANG!!! I am planning on doing something like that in my basement.

Dan

Todd Burch
04-23-2004, 11:16 AM
Chris - my design. Thanks!

The client can't wait to see it finished too!!!!!! Although, even when I am done, the sheetrockers, painters, faux finishers, electricians and floor people will come back in, so when I'm done, it still won't be "done-done." And, I've ben bugging the client since last June (2003) to order new cherry doors, and I don't think that has happened yet.

I did not make the shutters, just hung them. Butt hinges, fully mortised both sides. They are Alder and I will finish them.

In the middle picture, with the shutters, notice that the top left window has been removed. It was 3/8 out of level - low on the left side. The homeowner had the contractor bust out the brick on the outside wall to level the window. However, the contractor agreed to remove it but not set it back in place until I was finished, so that I could use the opening for exhaust when I spray lacquer. Hoor-ray!

Todd Burch
04-23-2004, 11:17 AM
Dan, if you use Cherry and do the same as I did, expect about $10K in materials - unless your basement is bigger than 17' x 17'.

Mike Palmer
04-23-2004, 11:40 AM
Look good Todd! A lot of square feet in that job. Did you make your own molding or did you purchase from a local supplier?

Scott Coffelt
04-23-2004, 11:45 AM
I bet that's some expensive labor for you. :p , I am not sure I would ever hear te end of it around here. I am looking forward to the finished pics and of course the table when done. I was so impressed by the hunk of wood, I was just curious. I figured we would see some pics of it, but wanted to make sure i just didn't miss it.

Todd Burch
04-23-2004, 12:17 PM
Mike, I used a combination of stock mouldings from my supplier, custom mouldings (specially milled for me) from my supplier and mouldings that I milled from rough cherry (router table and tablesaw). I built these mouldings up to create unique profiles too.

One example would be the door casings. I took the 4¾" pine mouldings used elsewhere in the house and had cherry mouldings made from it. About $200 just for the moulding to frame the pocket doors - 3 pieces @ 8' long each - and I ended up using just 2! I decided on the fly to make an entablature with a frieze over the top of the door. (I promise to not use any bigger words than those the rest of today!!)

Todd

Daniel Rabinovitz
04-23-2004, 2:48 PM
Todd and Connie
That is some beautiful woodwork!
Daniel :)

Tom Sweeney
04-24-2004, 9:11 PM
Todd,
The quality of your work is truly inspiring. I can not wait to see the finished pictures of that room - (I'm sure you can't either ;) ).

That is really impressive work - you should be very proud of yourself.
I wonder how hard it would be to talk LOML & LOML jr. into moving to Houston so I can be your apprentice :D Oh never mind!

Dan Mages
04-24-2004, 11:07 PM
Dan, if you use Cherry and do the same as I did, expect about $10K in materials - unless your basement is bigger than 17' x 17'.

Well.... my basement is 18 by 26ish... red oak. The book cases will span the 26 foot outside wall. A decent size bar/mini kitchen on the opposite wall. My local wood supplier, OWL Hardwoods has 15 *(I think) inch book case sides pre drilled for adjustable shelves for 25 each. I have never done anything like this...

Dan

Pete Lamberty
04-25-2004, 7:53 PM
Hi Todd, That is really a beautifully well designed and constructed room. My hat is off to you. Pete

John Miliunas
04-25-2004, 9:11 PM
Very well done, Todd! The whole room just seems to exude "class"! :cool:

Chris Padilla
04-26-2004, 11:36 AM
Wouldn't "ooze" be a better word than "exude," John? :D

John Miliunas
04-26-2004, 12:05 PM
Wouldn't "ooze" be a better word than "exude," John? :D

Oh, I don't know, Chris. I liken "Ooze" more to just "dribbling out". That room really radiates "Class"! :D :cool: