PDA

View Full Version : Newbie post: impressions of Griz 5850Z 20" planer??

Phil Gabbard
07-16-2008, 9:05 AM
Howdy - been reading for awhile, figured I would try and tap the depths of knowledge here. Am considering buying the Griz 5850Z 20", but haven't had any luck finding real user reviews. I just picked up an MM16 and have some mesquite logs just waiting to be opened up, as well as some 20" pecan flitches. Have chosen the 20" size as a compromise: shop space/price vs. wanting to be able to plane the maximum board width off the BS. Preferences are: segmented in-feed, Byrd if I can afford it so as not to bother the neighbors any more than necessary, 1 Ph but don't mind getting a converter. Want to avoid a four-post for stablility reasons. Would consider old iron if in really good shape (would love to do a restoration, but no time now with two of the sweetest babiy girls I ever saw....) Thanks in advance for guidance/advice/input!

David Giles
07-17-2008, 5:23 PM
Well, I've looked at the Grizzly website and highly recommend that you buy this 20" planer. Since you live close to me. And we used to know each other. And because I only have a 13" planer and no bandsaw. My other WW neighbor, Ed, also thinks that it's a great idea!

Welcome to SMC. I've still got your business card on the bulletin board from our not so recent airport meeting. Good luck on your planer selection.

Phil Gabbard
07-24-2008, 8:50 AM
Howdy, David. Good to hear from you. I blew off the Griz planer, and went for a used Bridgewood 20" (BW-20PV) out of Arizona. Straight knives, but new bearings and came out of a 'retirement community workshop' nearby. Will probably switch out to a Byrd in the future, but got a good enough deal that it could make sense. The seller seemed to be pretty familiar with it (always a good thing to have when buying something used). It shipped out on Wednesday and should be here on Friday. I learned some things with this transaction:

1. When looking for used machinery online, don't stop with the first 2 or 3 Google page results. This one got buried on about page 4 or 5, in a place where it looked like the good phrase matches had run out.

2. The original listing I came across was from a secondary seller. Don't know how all of this actually works itrw, but he had tacked on his $300 profit, and would have bought it from the original seller I stumbled on (on page 4 or 5....).

3. Freightquote.com is a great way to simplify the freight cost comparison exercise.

4. There are some very accomodating sellers out there, if you are lucky enough to find one. These guys were great: wonderful communication and service, really seemed to love what they do. I don't know all the rules on SC yet, but would be willing to pass along the seller's store info if permitted, as long as everyone promises to give me first crack at that ideal jointer when it comes along ;).

5. Be patient! I almost pulled the trigger on a couple of planers that would probably have not been what I needed (assuming this one turns out to be That One.)

6. Finally - KNOW THE FREIGHT QUOTE BEFORE GETTING SERIOUS IN THE BIDDING?OFFERING PROCESS!!!:eek: Heavy tools from a couple of states away ain't cheap. FYI, the BW runs about 900# net, 1000# gross and cost $500 on the bargain carrier, shrink wrapped with no crating.

Anyway - would love to hear others' experience with similar things.

David - come by the house sometime and we can make some chips!