PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Hole Screws

Byron Trantham
04-23-2004, 9:54 AM
I have two questions. First, I want to connect melamine using a butt joint and pocket screws. Is this strong enough? Second, do they make pocket screws shorter and 1 1/4"?

Herb Kelley
04-23-2004, 10:00 AM
One inch is the shortest I have seen. The head on the Kreg 1" screw does not have the washer. I have seen 1" Rockler with the washer head. Around here, some places only carry fine thread while others only have the course thread so you may have to look around.

Scott Coffelt
04-23-2004, 11:50 AM
Not sure how well it will hold, I have found Melanine to be very delicate and often splits apart if any stress. I usually put screws through the sides, but it obviously shows.

Screws, I would check with McFeeley and see what they have, as they have good prices and high quality screws.

Byron Trantham
04-23-2004, 11:59 AM
Not sure how well it will hold, I have found Melanine to be very delicate and often splits apart if any stress. I usually put screws through the sides, but it obviously shows.

Screws, I would check with McFeeley and see what they have, as they have good prices and high quality screws.
Scott you're right about the relative strength of this material. I think it would be best to make a couple joints and see have strong they are.

After I posted my question I thought of McFeeleys and sure enough they have screws. No surprise there. I tried a 1 1/4" screw with MDF and it works fine.

Thanks for your help.

Scott Coffelt
04-23-2004, 12:14 PM
Nether are the strongest material, but since the Melanine I have used is covered over particle board, it seems to chip out and split out easily. At least with MDF you can add glue. Have you thought about using those twist fasteners that they use in ready to assemble furniture? This way you can still place the hardware where it can be hidden, but you have more meat (screw) in the Melanine.