PDA

View Full Version : cherry, tanning, & BLO

dan sherman
07-15-2008, 9:24 PM
For those that tan cherry, do you apply BLO before or after tanning, or does it even matter?

Jim Becker
07-15-2008, 9:32 PM
Doesn't really matter, but I oil and sometimes even finish before "tanning"...

Doug Shepard
07-15-2008, 9:35 PM
I've done both tanning and BLO, but not both together. I usually do the BLO if I'm working on something in the winter and cant put it outside for a suntan. I would think (but dont know) that both together would make for some mighty dark cherry. I would think tanning after BLO would make more sense though in order to really make sure the oil is cured and dry.

Al Navas
07-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Dan,

I believe that, regardless the topcoat, cherry will tan if sufficient light can get through the finish itself. In my latest post (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=88220) I show how cherry will tan beautifully, even after applying one full coat of Waterlox.

Howard Acheson
07-16-2008, 11:26 AM
For those that tan cherry, do you apply BLO before or after tanning, or does it even matter?

Makes no difference if you use BLO. BLO does not impede UV from sunlight so the sunlight will do its thing just fine.

The only finish that would significantly impede the UV would be an exterior rated varnish. Exterior rated varnishes contain UV inhibitors which will reduce the effects of the sun.

dan sherman
07-27-2008, 12:44 PM
I would think tanning after BLO would make more sense though in order to really make sure the oil is cured and dry.

I've done a little experimenting, and I noticed that BLO that looked completely cured started to bleed, after an hour in the sun.

Howard Acheson
07-27-2008, 1:00 PM
Yes bleeding can be a problem particularly if the surface was flooded with the BLO. The sun heats the wood causing the undried BLO to heat and expand forcing itself out of the pores.

I would give BLO at least 5-7 days before "sun tanning". Or, do the "suntan" before applying the BLO.

dan sherman
07-27-2008, 1:22 PM
I would give BLO at least 5-7 days before "sun tanning". Or, do the "suntan" before applying the BLO.

I Have some scraps tanning in the backyard right now, to see what it better, tanning before or after applying the BLO.

It seems like tanning after might be better, because it cures the BLO faster.

Howard Acheson
07-27-2008, 4:54 PM
Yes, providing the temperature is raised when in the sun the BLO should tend to polymerize somewhat faster. But you better be there with a rag to continually wipe off the bleed back.

On cherry I put only the lightest film of BLO and wipe it dry almost immediately. Flooding it or soaking it just causes the process to go much slower. BLO is only coloring and all the color is imparted as soon as the oil is applied. Soaking or multiple coats are not necessary.

Bill Arnold
07-27-2008, 10:16 PM
I've done a fair amount of cherry tanning over the years. My preference is to place the pieces in the sun and begin to wash them with a 1/1 BLO/Naphtha blend. As the sun warms the cherry and the oil mix, it soaks in and then resurfaces in varying places. I continue to rub the cherry to "massage" the released oil into it and remove any excess. The entire process takes several hours but the result is usually quite nice. If individual items need additional attention, I repeat the process the next day with a lighter application of the BLO mix.

;)

dan sherman
07-29-2008, 12:38 AM
How my samples look after 15 hours of tanning.

John Keeton
07-29-2008, 7:36 AM
Dan, which batch had BLO prior to tanning? May be an obvious question, but I never use cherry - nonetheless, interested in this thread for future reference. Thanks.

dan sherman
07-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Dan, which batch had BLO prior to tanning? May be an obvious question, but I never use cherry - nonetheless, interested in this thread for future reference. Thanks.

The vertical boards had the 30 min BLO soak, the horizontal boards have only been cleaned with MS.

John Keeton
07-29-2008, 8:02 PM
Pretty amazing difference! Hard to tell from the picture, and I am sure some of the color difference is the BLO, but seems like doing the BLO first really aided the tanning.

Leigh Betsch
07-29-2008, 11:02 PM
Is it possible to get the same tanning effect under lights? Maybe a black light or halogen?

Al Navas
07-30-2008, 7:57 AM
Leigh,

In my shop I get tanning under the T-8 lights. It takes a little longer, but eventually you will get a fair amount of tanning. I have never tried halogen or black lights, but they might work fine.

Howard Acheson
07-30-2008, 11:09 AM
The BLO will darken the cherry whether the BLO was applied before the sun tanning or after. The primary affect of the BLO is for wood coloring due to the amber color of BLO. There is no reason why BLO will have any affect of the rate of darkening in the short term. Of course, BLO does amber quite a bit over the long term so further darkening can be expected.

None the less, the picture certainly demonstrates the rapidity of the darkening when the sun tanning technique is used.

John Keeton
07-30-2008, 6:17 PM
The BLO will darken the cherry whether the BLO was applied before the sun tanning or after. The primary affect of the BLO is for wood coloring due to the amber color of BLO. There is no reason why BLO will have any affect of the rate of darkening in the short term. Of course, BLO does amber quite a bit over the long term so further darkening can be expected.

None the less, the picture certainly demonstrates the rapidity of the darkening when the sun tanning technique is used.
Howard, I took it that Dan put both test groups in the sun - one with BLO and the other after cleaning with MS. May be wrong, but if that was the case, sure seemed to make a big difference beyond the normal effect of applying BLO. I am probably wrong on this, but maybe Dan can clarify.

dan sherman
07-30-2008, 10:11 PM
Howard, I took it that Dan put both test groups in the sun - one with BLO and the other after cleaning with MS.
That's correct.

At this point in time (not done with the experiment) I would say the main benefit of applying BLO before tanning is that it cures faster (1 day instead of 7).

dan sherman
07-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Is it possible to get the same tanning effect under lights? Maybe a black light or halogen?

From what I have read any type of bulb will work, however high UV output ($$$) bulbs will get the job done a lot faster.

Howard Acheson
07-31-2008, 4:05 PM
>> Howard, I took it that Dan put both test groups in the sun - one with BLO and the other after cleaning with MS. May be wrong, but if that was the case, sure seemed to make a big difference beyond the normal effect of applying BLO. I am probably wrong on this, but maybe Dan can clarify.

Yes, I understood that. My point was that if BLO was now applied to the boards that were uncoated, they would probably be indistinguishable from the ones that had the initial application of the BLO.

As I had said earlier, there is nothing in BLO that would cause any material difference in the rate of darkening.

Jerry Olexa
08-03-2008, 12:24 AM
I generally prefer to tan prior to the BLO. Just MHO....

Al Wasser
08-03-2008, 10:23 AM
I guess this is a little off from the original question-- The new/current edition of Fine Woodworking has a article on finishing cherry, specifically dealing with blotchiness. If you don't get the mag you might want to read it when in the grocery or wherever you find it