PDA

View Full Version : Help with a 16-32 drum sander

Dave Lehnert
07-15-2008, 8:53 PM
I am going to look at a 16-32 drum sander for sale. I know it has been through 2 owners. It does have a rip in the feed belt but said it does not affect the performance. On casters, infeed outfeed tables 2 boxes of paper. $300. No idea how old it is.
Anything to look for that would make it a no deal? He did say I could run and test it. Just not sure what to look for.

Dick Bringhurst
07-15-2008, 9:00 PM
What brand? If it is a Roybi, forget it! Dick B.

Dave Lehnert
07-15-2008, 9:05 PM
you know I did not ask. I assumed it was a JET. On casters, feed tables, stand.

Dewey Torres
07-15-2008, 9:19 PM
A new jet costs $850!

For that price, if it is a Jet/Performax I would be very cautious unless the seller just doesn't know what he has.

The sand paper rolls themselves aren't cheap either. hmmm

Dewey

Bruce Glazier
07-15-2008, 9:28 PM
Brand is a big issue since older machines and off brands are hard to get parts for.

Jason Beam
07-15-2008, 10:08 PM
If it's the performax watch for the following as they all existed on this model at one time or another:

Small Dust port - it should have a 4". They eventually realized this.

1hp motor - it currently (as of probably 3 or 4 years ago), runs with a 1.5hp motor. The 1hp just wasn't enough pony to sand a full width and they upgraded that.

Conveyor system - there were several versions of the conveyor system. Many of them were horrible. Others were effective. The latest one has much promise. If it's got the 1.5hp motor, you're good as it has either the better or the next-best feed system. The best one, currently, came around i think about 2 years ago. It senses motor load and automatically slows the feed rate down to prevent overloading the circuitry. The system just prior to that doesn't do this, but it's a more robust DC variable speed motor than previous models. Like I said, if it has the 1.5hp motor, it's new enough. The latest and greatest system is only on the Jet-branded models, not Performax, so that's a good way to tell also.

If it's on casters, has feed tables, is 1.5hp and has the 4" dust port, $300 is a flippin STEAL. I got all that a couple months ago from a guy for $500 and that was a pretty good deal - given that the sander is $850, the caster's are $100 and the tables are $150 - that's $1200 worth of sander right there if there aren't any extra rolls of paper.

If the conveyor is ripped, it sounds to me like it might have one of the older feed systems - but be sure to check that out. A new conveyor is not cheap, but if you can get one of the newer models for that price in GOOD condition, it's worth it even for the replacement cost of the belt.

Something tells me, though, it's probably an older model. At that price with all those goodies, if it was even the 1.5hp motor and 4" port on a performax (pre-jet), there could be something wrong with it. Give a good look at everything. Raise the head up and down a few times over the ENTIRE travel of that screw. Give a good firm shake on the open end to see if there's any play in the mechanism at various heights. Get it dead silent in the space and roll the drum by hand and listen for noise. If it makes noise you probably have some bearing issues.

Good luck. I hope it's one of the more recent models and you have a gloat coming! :)

Robin Cruz
07-15-2008, 10:18 PM
I am going to look at a 16-32 drum sander for sale. I know it has been through 2 owners. It does have a rip in the feed belt but said it does not affect the performance. On casters, infeed outfeed tables 2 boxes of paper. $300. No idea how old it is.
Anything to look for that would make it a no deal? He did say I could run and test it. Just not sure what to look for.
sounds like a great deal if itthe motor is working. If its NOT a sandpaper belt then even better. THey are all made by the same chinese company in any case. Ryobi, Steelcase, Performance.....all the same. Id go for it in heartbeat. I just spent 595 on new one from Laguna tools. If your nearby them and can pick it up thats a good deal too.

Dave Lehnert
07-15-2008, 10:33 PM
If I do need a new feed belt. How much does one cost?

Also If it is an older unit should I NOT consider it because of the tracking issues? My guess is it older. Has had two owners. But then again would think I could get my money back out of it at that price.

Bruce Page
07-15-2008, 11:07 PM
If I do need a new feed belt. How much does one cost?

I think they're about $30 for the Delta feed belt. It shouldn't be much different for a Jet, etc.

Charlie Plesums
07-15-2008, 11:14 PM
I think they're about $30 for the Delta feed belt. It shouldn't be much different for a Jet, etc.

I thought I paid over $50 for mine, several years ago.

Jason Beam
07-15-2008, 11:37 PM
Personally if it has the 1hp motor and the small DC port, I'd pass .. no matter the price, I think I'd be frustrated by any of the problems i've heard those older models had. There might be a reason it's had two - and going on three - owners.

Dave Lehnert
07-15-2008, 11:43 PM
Exactly my thinking

Thanks!

Bruce Page
07-16-2008, 9:35 AM
I thought I paid over $50 for mine, several years ago.
Charlie, Tools-Plus.com has them for $28.88 (Delta)

Phil Thien
07-16-2008, 6:44 PM
What brand? If it is a Roybi, forget it! Dick B.

Have you had particularly bad experiences w/ the Ryobi? I ask because I'm the new owner of a used one. I haven't had any problems w/ it, but I'm wondering if I should expect any.

Jeff Schneyer
07-16-2008, 6:58 PM
any interest in a new 16/32 drum sander? I have one in a box that I don't need.

Dick Bringhurst
07-16-2008, 7:01 PM
Getting the paper clipped into the inside end of the drum I found extremely difficult and time consuming. Also the bed and the drum were not parallel. I was finally able to get it shimmed by trial and error. Just took a lot of effort to use. Dick B.