PDA

View Full Version : Shopsmith owners weekend

Dave Lehnert
07-15-2008, 7:40 PM
Anyone going to the Shopsmith open house this weekend in Dayton Ohio?

John Ricci
07-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Nope, not going to Dayton but a longtime owner/fan of the Shopsmith Mk5/510 and almost everything they made for it:cool:. It just got retired to "second string" TS since I bought the new General 650R...even:cool:er. The SS tools are well made, overpriced pieces that seem to last forever with care and my Powerstation is my main sanding centre and sometimes bandsaw driver, the stand-alone ProPlaner will never die so I could never see getting rid of any of it but the $$$ makes it harder to justify buying more toys for it.

J.R.

Dave Lehnert
07-15-2008, 11:40 PM
You know for a few years I did not look at the accessories for Shopsmith because of price. But as I gained more knowledge on tools I see the value.
I just purchased the belt sander and it would have been worth twice the price. You have no idea what a sander is like when you have variable speed.

In my opinion Shopsmith does not do a very good job on marketing. That shopsmith will do so much more than what you think. People need to think of it as a Jig and then the true value comes out.

I also have the pro-planer. Must be close to 20 years old now. It is a BEAST! of a planer. never a part replaced in that time.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/images/FSProPlaner.jpg

Mike Heidrick
07-15-2008, 11:48 PM
I love the belt sander and powerstation.

Recently I have thought of buying the pin router attachment and using it with a 690.

I like my SS and my SS.