PDA

View Full Version : The new delta unisaw?

Greg Karol
07-15-2008, 5:52 PM
I was reading blogs on popular woodworking when I saw this. http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/editorsblog/Goodbye+Old+Unisaw.aspx

Anyone know anything else about this or when it might come out. The article lists the IWF as a possible release. I was thinking about a new saw for the fall this year and especially with the tool being made in the USA this peaked my interest.

Tommy Emmons
07-15-2008, 6:24 PM
As a relatively new woodworker, I have read a lot about the unisaw and see how everyone seems to covet the older models. Could someone tell me the difference between a hybrid, cabine, and unisaw. I would probably not recognize a unisaw if it bit me in the behind. Thanks in advance for the education.

Lance Norris
07-15-2008, 6:36 PM
As a relatively new woodworker, I have read a lot about the unisaw and see how everyone seems to covet the older models. Could someone tell me the difference between a hybrid, cabine, and unisaw. I would probably not recognize a unisaw if it bit me in the behind. Thanks in advance for the education.

A hybrid tablesaw has a mix of features of the contractors saw and the cabinet saw. It has an enclosed cabinet to help dust collection, but has the lower power rating(1~1/2 horsepower motor,as opposed to 3 hp for a cabinet saw) and requirements(110 volt as opposed to 220 volt for a cabinet saw) of a contractors saw. It may have table mounted trunnions like a contractor, or have cabinet mounted trunnions like a cabinet saw. A hybrid has the motor mounted internally like a cabinet saw. One way to look at a hybrid is, its a light duty cabinet saw. A Unisaw is a cabinet saw, and unless Im incorrect... the first cabinet saw.

John Shuk
07-15-2008, 8:11 PM
I've always been happy with my Delta machinery including my Uni saw.
I have however been a bit disappointed in Delta's ability to follow through on promises of innovation. I really hope they can get it together and get into the present.

Bart Leetch
07-15-2008, 9:34 PM

Here you go the earliest one I know of & its in my shop a 1940 model.

Also a shot of how it looked when I got it.

Dewey Torres
07-15-2008, 11:26 PM

And here is a 1995 model

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=85725&highlight=gloat

I am very happy to see they are going back to the "Made in the USA" business model.

Dewey

Chuck Harris
07-16-2008, 11:17 AM
One thing jumped out in the article. The cost of shipping a container from China due to fuel costs. Wonder what impact that will have on the other countries who farmed out production to China and now see the cost savings erroded by shipping costs.

I also have one of the last Made in USA Unisaws.

Pat Germain
07-16-2008, 12:48 PM
As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm pretty stoked about a Unisaw with a riving knife. That would be my dream saw.

Rolling out a new, improved Unisaw made in the USA makes a lot of business sense. I think Delta's primary competition comes from their older saws. A well made Unisaw with a riving knife would make a lot more folks consider buying new.