PDA

View Full Version : Delta Unisaw v. JET JTAS-10XL

Danny Thompson
07-15-2008, 5:44 PM
I am considering a recently rebuilt Unisaw with a new single-phase 3hp motor and a Biesemeyer fence for $1000-ish v. a used Jet JTAS-10XL 3hp w/52" Xacta fence and a mobile base for $800.

Opinions?

Tom Veatch
07-15-2008, 6:35 PM
Since I have zero exposure to the Unisaw, I can't give you a point by point comparison. I have owned the exact model of Jet you reference (without the mobile base) for about 8 years now and have absolutely no complaints. If I had it to do over, and knowing what I now know, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the same saw again.

If I were in your position, and assuming both saws are in approximately equivalent conditon, my personal choice would be to buy the $800 Jet and put the extra $200 either into some good blades or a quality aftermarket miter gauge (I have and like the Incra 3000SE).

Simon Dupay
07-15-2008, 9:32 PM
if it's an older unisaw go with the uni, much better machine

David Micalizzi
07-15-2008, 10:23 PM
I have the Jet saw and like it very much. I compared it with the Unisaw when I was shopping. What I liked about the Jet was the action on the raise and tilt wheels of the saw. They just felt a lot smoother than the Unisaw I tried at a local Woodcraft store. Another thing that turned me off about the Unisaw was the motor was missing from the unit at the store because they took it out to give it to a customer with a bad motor. Made me think twice about buying the Delta. I will caution you on the Xacta Fence with the HDPE sides mine were not flat at all and I had to shim to get them close. Then I made new ones out of laminate and MDF. Recently I put a Unifence on and I absolutely love it. Bottom line the Unisaw will probably have a better fence but thats it. Hope this helps.

Dave Lehnert
07-15-2008, 10:36 PM
I own the JET and think it is great.

Bruce Page
07-15-2008, 11:03 PM
I own the Unisaw and think it is great. :D

Either one will do you a good job. Pick the one you fancy the most.
A couple of years from now that $200 won't mean a whole lot.

Dewey Torres
07-15-2008, 11:13 PM
I own a (Made in the USA) Unisaw and I can tell you that it is a great saw.

For the price point however, you are getting another very well made saw with a mobile base for 200 less, I would go with the Jet. Chances are, with either you are going to be happier than you are now.

You didn't say what kind of saw you were replacing:confused:

Dewey

Wayne Cannon
07-16-2008, 1:27 AM
At the time I purchased my saw, Delta was having problems with top flatness and other quality issues with their Taiwanese manufacturing. The Jets were very flat and had a good handle on their manufacturing quality at that time. Other than that, or at a different time, I would have considered a Delta because I like the Uni-Fence.

Danny Thompson
07-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Looks like it's going to be the Jet. I test-drove it yesterday. It doesn't look brand new, but appears to be in very good shape. That, plus the mobile base, table extension, the fact that I wouldn't have to replace the motor, and your positive comments all were big factors. If I find I don't like the Xacta fence, I can always replace it with my Biese (see below).

Dewey,

I hate to admit it, but I am replacing a Franken-saw: a cheap $99 Delta embedded in a 3'x7' workbench, with commercial Biesemeyer with a 7' rail (which I got an amazing deal on).

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=79663&d=1200847742

It was a significant improvement in safety and functionality over the tippy benchtop saw with a flimsy fence, but it came at the cost of only allowing 90-degree cuts.

Luckily, it died in a recent move giving me an excuse to upgrade. It's good to be upgrading.

Now all I have to do is run some 220.

Joe Meazle
07-17-2008, 12:47 PM
Congrats Danny! I have the same saw and really like mine.

Danny Thompson
07-17-2008, 1:20 PM
Hey, Joe.

I wasn't going to call you out, but I will now. Thanks for finding and pointing me toward both the Uni and this Jet. I was having trouble finding this level of a saw for the right price in this part of the country. I owe you one.

It's not the site, it's the people.

Joe Meazle
07-17-2008, 2:25 PM
de nada.
I was in the same spot 8 years ago. It is amazing how similar. I had checked out Southern and their rebuilts then I found a left tilt Jet gently used in Germantown with quite a few extras thrown in. I paid a little more than you but got a Tennon jig and CMT dado thowrn in along with the mobile base. Enjoy that saw. If you are ever in Conway give us a shout.
Joe

Danny Thompson
07-19-2008, 11:28 PM
Will do. Same to you the next time you're over this way..

Hey, what are you JTAS owners using in the way of a splitter/blade guard? Recommendations?

J. Greg Jones
07-20-2008, 6:17 AM
Hey, what are you JTAS owners using in the way of a splitter/blade guard? Recommendations?

Shark Guard here, my second one (first was on a Delta hybrid). I never even attempted to mount the Jet guard and splitter. If you order the Shark, be aware that Jet has made two styles of guard mounts on the JTAS-10XL, and Lee has on his site a PDF of the two styles so you can order the proper splitters to fit your saw.

Jim Becker
07-20-2008, 9:36 AM
I used a Biesemeyer snap-in splitter on my Jet LT along with an Excalibur overarm guard. The former was on the saw for all through cuts. The latter got used less, but was nice to control the "splash" off the top of the blade.

Joe Meazle
07-20-2008, 10:27 AM
I have a delta uniguard on mine. I am thinking about selling it. It is a fine guard but I have my router table in the side extenion table and it gets in my way. PM me if you want some details.

Joe