PDA

View Full Version : Universal VLS external air assist help

James Morley
07-15-2008, 1:54 PM
I have a brand new VLS 4.60 sitting in the box waiting to be installed. I'm trying to get the air and exhaust set up before my rep shows up. I need help in choosing a compressor.

The manual states:
"If you choose to provide your own source, it must be capable of supplying 50 PSI (pounds per square inch) at a constant rate of 2.5 CFM (cubic feet per minute). The air supply MUST be oil-free, moisture-free, and particulate filtered. "

These air requirements aren't very stout but the thing that has me spooked is the constant flow requirement. I know I'm going to have to set up the particulate filter and dessicant dryer.

I know several of you have mentioned you have had success with aftermarket compressors. This is really out of my area of expertise.

Recommendations, advice, appreciated.

Scott Shepherd
07-15-2008, 3:53 PM
James, I went through the same thing about a year ago, so I'm with you.

Take note that the ULS system is VERY different than the Epilog. Most people who have Epilog's can run an airbrush compressor. Their air assist system does not require the airflow the ULS system does, because it works quite different.

You can use about any compressor, but my guess is you're looking for quiet? Is that the restriction? I made a mistake in buying my compressor. At no point on any spec sheet have I seen the "duty cycle" information. I only found it as I was reading through my compressor instructions, where I stumbled onto the line that said something like "not to be used for more than 50% of the time", which meant you couldn't run the compressor constantly. Basically, the compressor NEEDS to run, cut off, run, cut off, run, cut off.

However, if you crank up the airflow, the smaller compressors will run all the time, which is a no-no for most smaller compressors you'll find at any home improvement center.

If it's sound you're dealing with, it's a $1500 fix for a silent compressor that will deliver. If sound is not an issue, then any larger compressor with a larger tank would work.

But an airbrush compressor will not work. Not enough CFM's to provide the airflow needed for all the air-shields on all the mirrors, and provide the airflow for the cutting itself.

Just my opinion.