PDA

View Full Version : G0555 Has Limits!!!!!!

Mark Rios
04-23-2004, 2:13 AM
First of all, thanks to all who gave me their advice on jointer blades.

I have finally found the limits of my Grizzly G0555 bandsaw. This afternoon as I was continuing to work my way through the walnut that I'v e been working on for the last few months, I had been cutting all day, I once again hit a nail that had grown inside and been covered by the wood of the tree. I thought that this would be a good time to try my BRAND NEW Woodslicer blade that I JUST received from Highland. I went through all of the trouble of removing my large table set-up and fence system and painstakingly adjusted the new blade and put it all back together again. I put a LITTLE extra tension on the blade. I made one cut through the 26" long, 10" high piece of walnut root ball and cut a 2" slab from the main piece and it came out pretty good. The blade was a little squirrely but it was a pretty good cut. I started on the next cut, got about 4" into it and BAM!!!!!! a very loud, very bad noise and the blade was flying all over the place. It lodged itself in the removable, aluminum plate in the table of my bandsaw and was definately finished, after only 30" of cutting. Okay, I thought that the blade had just come off of the wheels because I hadn't adjusted them right (no trouble before however). I had only bought one Woodslicer so I put on a 1/2" AS-S blade from Timberwolf and I couldn't get the machine to put any kind of tension on the blade at all. At first I thought that I had a funny length blade but then after looking around for a minute I saw that the two bars that support the upper wheel on either side of the adjusting bolt had failed and were bent VERY, VERY badly. No hope for them. I had only been using 1/2" blades all day, no 3/4" blades that need extra tension, but I guess that the failure was due to a cumulative sort of effect. Anyway, those of you who also have the G0555 might want to keep an eye on the tension adjustment components and maybe forestall the loss of a blade. I doubt that anyone will have any trouble unless you've been doing the kind of milling that I've been doing for the last couple of months. I just don't know though if the tension will cause a failure later for some who use the saw for more regular kinds of cutting. Will it just take longer for the failure to happen? Time will tell I guess. I'm not too upset that the failure happened as much as that it caused the loss of the BRAND NEW $30 blade. $30 down the drain just like that. That really hurts. Now I've got to wait for Grizzly to send me out some repalcement parts. I'll call them first thing in the morning but I'm probably looking at a week of down time. However, they did send my repalcement bearings via the mail and they got to me in only two days. Hopefully it will be quick. I doubt that they will do anything for the ruined BRAND NEW blade though.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Chris Padilla
04-23-2004, 12:04 PM
Not to be trite, Mark, but do you have a metal detector? For the stuff you are doing, it appears mandatory! :) Sorry about your downtime.

Alan Turner
04-23-2004, 2:24 PM
I am a little surprised that the frame bent by hitting a nail. Is the repair of the saw a warranty item? I hope so.
Alan

Jay Kilpatrick
04-23-2004, 4:30 PM
But the problem didn't lie with the blade or unnoticed metal in the wood, it was in the tension adjustment mechanism. Just clarifying...sorry about the blade, I've had those days as well...like the time I dropped a brand new 8" Norton grinding wheel while attempting to mount it on the machine. Very frustrating!

Best Regards,
Jay in Dayton

Mark Rios
04-23-2004, 8:12 PM
Alan and Jay,

I'm sorry if I misled anyone. I didn't mean to imply that the frame had bent at all, just the two bars that support the tension adjusting bolt. You guys are absolutely right that it's the tension that caused the problem. I've been tensioning mostly (95%) 3/4" blades for the past four or five months and I think that it just took it's toll on those tension bars. Grizzly went over the saw with me this morning and they are sending me repalcement parts. Between having to wait to afford blades every month or so and now this down time, I'm just getting frustrated at the time it's taking me to get this walnut and walnut root material cut up and out of the way.

And Chris, No matter how hard I look, I seem to miss that one nail here and there. I can't afford a detector right now but it is on my list. Most of the blade dulling trouble, however, is coming from the dirt, grit, and small stones buried in the root material. It just shows up like magic in the middle of a cut, sometimes even three or four inches deep in the root material. Oh well, that's the nature of that part of the tree I guess.

As far as the nails, these trees came off of a piece of property down the street from me that I sold a couple of years back. I inherited this property from my grandfather. He's the one who put all the nails in the trees. So far I've found, one way or another :rolleyes: , over thirty nails and still counting. I have NO idea why all these nails are in these trees. And they are just nails, no wire or anything nailed to the tree WITH the nails, just the nails alone. Go figure. Maybe he was practicing his nailing skills. :D

John Miliunas
04-24-2004, 12:23 AM
Mark, this isn't a tried and true fact on my part, as I haven't gotten one myself yet. Anyhow, word has it that those cheapie "Treasure Finder"-type metal detectors, like you'd buy for a kid, really work well for finding nails in logs! Typically, I think they sell for under $40.00 and again, only from what I hear, many folks like them more than the dedicated WW types, as they usually cover a wider field per sweep. Just something to consider...:cool:

Mark Rios
04-24-2004, 9:18 AM
That's sounds like something in my ball park, John. Thanks. Do you think my local Big Box would carry it? Harbor Freight? Orchard Supply Hardware? I have never tried looking for one.

Dave Ramer
04-24-2004, 1:19 PM
Hey Mark....

About those 30+ nails and counting in your grandfathers tree.... you don't recall him giving you a hammer and some nails when you visited during the summer and telling you to nail a few boards? Then he caught you nailing the tree instead... so now all these years later it is payback time!!

John Miliunas
04-24-2004, 8:04 PM
That's sounds like something in my ball park, John. Thanks. Do you think my local Big Box would carry it? Harbor Freight? Orchard Supply Hardware? I have never tried looking for one.
Harbor Freight used to have one. Don't know if they still do. I also heard of folks going to toy stores and getting the "toy" ones there. Still about $30.00 or so from what I remember.:cool: