PDA

View Full Version : Drill bit sharpener recommendations?

Jacob Reverb
07-15-2008, 12:51 PM
I recently came into possession of a whole box of drill bits from maybe 1/16" up to 3/4" and they all probably need to be sharpened.

I've been thinking about getting a drill bit sharpener for some time but don't know what good ones are out there and how much I should expect to pay.

The "Drill Doctor" and a few others look like classic "happy homeowner" specials that wives buy and husbands toss, so I'm kind of leery of them. If they're actually good machines, pls correct me.

I would like a jig or machine that can change the bevel angle depending on what the bit is to be used for, since I do some metalworking in addition to woodworking.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tim Malyszko
07-15-2008, 12:59 PM
I bought the Drill Doctor 750x when it was on sale at Amazon for less than $100. I've had it since February, but haven't even taken it out of the box. From what I've been told, its a great little device to sharpen drill bits.

http://www.amazon.com/Drill-Doctor-DD750X-Bit-Sharpener/dp/B000BKTA00/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1216141102&sr=8-1

Bruce Page
07-15-2008, 2:57 PM
Jacob, I was a machinist in my previous life and learned to hand sharpen twist drills early on. Hand sharpening is still my preferred method (it’s quick).
That said, LOML gave me a Drill Doctor 750 for Christmas a few years ago and of course, I had to run a bunch of bits to see what it would do. I hate to admit it, but it sharpens really well, I could not find any fault with it at all.
I haven’t used my Drill Doctor since, but it works ad advertised.

Dewey Torres
07-15-2008, 3:02 PM
I can also attest to the drill doctor. It does exactly what it says it does and very fast as well.

I will say that I bought the lower end model that isn't capable of sharpening the split point and if I had to buy one today I would get the high end model.

Dewey

Randal Stevenson
07-15-2008, 3:06 PM
I have and use a DD750x (also Amazon, under $100). In part because of speed, and in part from working on cars (go through bits). I also wanted (still don't have, but that is another story) the left handed chuck.

A machinist friend of mine, said it does (which I can verify) a good job, but according to him, not a GREAT job, which can only be done with a regular grinder, technique, and practice.
He doesn't have the time to teach me, and when I need one sharpened, I don't have the time to practice. So it has been a boon to me. (I am mechanically inclined, but it wasn't inherited from the previous generation)

Chuck Saunders
07-15-2008, 5:19 PM
It has been my experience that a machinist is incapable of stating that anything can sharpen a drill bit as well as it can be sharpened by hand. The real truth is that he means by his hand. I think that this stems from the fact that most machinists can sharpen a bit very well freehand and by golly they are proud of it. It is not a skill that comes quickly.

Tom Veatch
07-15-2008, 6:51 PM
...The "Drill Doctor" ... look(s) like classic "happy homeowner" specials that wives buy and husbands toss, so I'm kind of leery of them. If they're actually good machines, pls correct me....

Consider yourself corrected, at least WRT the Drill Doctor.:D

As others have stated, the Drill Doctor does a credible job of sharpening twist drill bits, split point or standard, 118* or 135*. My 750 has earned its place on the sharpening station.

Quite possibly a skilled hand sharpener can do a better job. I won't argue that point from either side, but I know for a fact that the DD does a much better job than I can do by hand. And that's the important thing as far as I'm concerned.

Harry Niemann
07-15-2008, 7:25 PM
I have used a General sharpener for over 30 years. It's a simple device that you mount next to a bench grinder, so it rides the side of the wheel. Use a fine stone and it works great and cheap too! General has been making this for many many years. It will adjust for angle also.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-15-2008, 7:48 PM
By Hand. There is no better way save maybe a Black Diamond machine shop drill sharpener.

With a little ( very little) practice you can waltz over to your grinder (or belt sander if that's what you have) and put a fine edge on drills of any size so long as you can see the thing.

I learned when the old shop boss handed me a box of beat drills with instructions to bring 'em back sharp.

Wes Bischel
07-16-2008, 12:00 AM
I have a DD750 (no "X") and it has done a nice job. I can't sharpen by hand so the DD saves me a lot of time and money.

Wes

Jacob Reverb
07-16-2008, 9:20 AM
Thanks, everyone.

Alex Carrera
07-16-2008, 9:26 AM
I'm not familier with the general, but I have a Craftsman device that sounds very similar. mount it next to the bench grinder and use the side of the wheel. Works extremely well, though might take a little longer to set up than a drill doctor.

John Schreiber
07-16-2008, 3:01 PM
I doubt this is considered proper, but I've tried it a couple of times and it has helped when a bit has gotten frustratingly dull. I leave the bit in the drill and with drill running backwards, sharpen the bit on a moving grinding wheel at the same angle it was at before. I know this isn't great, but it's an improvement over dull.

Bruce Page
07-16-2008, 11:31 PM
I doubt this is considered proper, but I've tried it a couple of times and it has helped when a bit has gotten frustratingly dull. I leave the bit in the drill and with drill running backwards, sharpen the bit on a moving grinding wheel at the same angle it was at before. I know this isn't great, but it's an improvement over dull.
My old apprentice instructor would be turning in his grave if he read this!:eek::D
You must have some really dull bits.