PDA

View Full Version : Calling All DeWalt 621 Owners

Rick Hoppe
04-23-2004, 1:55 AM
One of the many things I love about my DeWalt 621 router is its dust collection. But, he clear plastic dust collection hood that encloses the cutting area makes it difficult to see clearly to register my bit to a layout line. Removing the plastic hood is very difficult and replacing it is darn near impossible. Anybody come up with a solution to this problem?

Terry Quiram
04-23-2004, 7:14 AM
I forgot and released the plunge with a bit that didn't fit through the hole and "took care" of mine years ago. Don't use it now, doesn't matter cause I hated dragging a hose.

Jason Tuinstra
04-23-2004, 9:39 AM
Rick, I'm a bit like Terry. I love my 621, but I don't use the dust collection "hood" all that often. I agree, it's a pain to put back on, that is, once you manage to get it off. When I have my 621 in my router table I still hook up the vaccum to the router and to a top side connection. I get decent results. Because I found it to be such a pain, the hood remains off 99.9% of the time. I still love the 621, though. The smoothest plunge router there is IMHO so I can live with a bit of dust.

Jim Hill 2
04-23-2004, 11:39 AM
I have a 625. It came with a clear plastic dust port but I could never figure out how to get it on and it's still in the box. I try to do all my work on the router table where I have dust collection. For those times where I have to freehand it I do like the others and wear a mask and goggles. Sorry I don't think there is an easy solution for this one.

Jim

Fred Gorney
04-23-2004, 12:01 PM
It's funny, I never thought about it as a problem, but that's probably because my other router is an old 1-speed B&D with a 1/4" collet that is collecting dust under my bench. I usually use an edge guide with mine, so I'll set it by measuring from the fence to the outside of the bit (router unplugged), or position myself so that I can kinda see where the line is, if that makes sense. A test cut or two is also in order.

If I had one beef about the 621, I think it's a bit too tippy without a round base.

Rick Hoppe
04-24-2004, 12:23 AM
Thanks guys for your experience. I think I know now how to handle this in the future.