PDA

View Full Version : Hold Fast Vacuum Chuck Question

Mike Minto
07-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Is using the Hold Fast system, or any other where you use a compressor to produce the vacuum, must the compressor run continually, or will it just kick on as necessary if the vacuum pressure should lose some pressure - did I ask that right? I'd think that would be kinda noisy. Thanks, Mike

Tom Godley
07-15-2008, 11:23 AM
I was just about to start to order the parts for a system - I had not heard of the "Holdfast" system.

I would think that the pressure would always have to flow -- but maybe I am missing something. Is cost the main reason for this - since you do not need to by a pump?

The nylon chuck of the "Holdfast" looks to be an improvement also.

I also would like some info on this -- I already bought the vacuum adapter for my lathe :(

Bill Bolen
07-15-2008, 12:12 PM
I read an article on this type of set up(darn if I remember where). From the article the compressor won't run all the time. When more air is needed to hold the vac the compressor will kick on just like running any other air tool. Hope memory serves and this is correct? Bernie will probably jump in soon. I think he just bought one..Bill..

Burt Alcantara
07-15-2008, 1:13 PM
I recently bought the HoldFast with the 3" chuck. My compressor is a Makita MAC2400 4 gallon hot-dog, 4.2@90 135psi (Amazon - free delivery). On average, the compressor will kick on about 2 or 3 times for any piece I'm doing, i.e., cleaning up a bottom, removing the tenon, repairing some of my earlier disasters, etc.

By no means is the compressor working overtime or harder then any other air chore. As long as you have the psi you should have nothing to worry about.

If you want to use the HoldFast as your full time chuck then...:confused:

I've found that cottonwood is too porous for the HF to get a grip so I swirl a couple of coats of poly into the hollow form and it's good to go to max pressure.

I am very satisfied with the unit and think it is a terrific return on investment. Highly recommended!

Burt

Bernie Weishapl
07-15-2008, 8:00 PM
Mike as you know I just bought mine. I have a Sears 1.6 hp, 26 gal, 160 psi, 6.3 @ 40 psi and 4.9 @ 90 psi. It is fairly quiet. Dave Hout told me he has a friend that has this same compressor. They did a 11" ash bowl and the compressor never did kick on. At the symposium he was using a pancake compressor and it cycled on once for about a minute the kicked off while we messed around with a bowl bottom.