PDA

View Full Version : Lumber Gloat!

brett gallmeyer
07-15-2008, 1:14 AM
So last week I read an add in the local paper. There was a guy that was selling off most of his tools because he was moving out of state. I stopped by and bought a heavy duty roller stand and about 8 bf of walnut off of him. I talked to him for about 2 hours about woodworking. Very talented guy. Well this morning I recieve a phone call from his wife telling me that he wanted to give me all the wood in his shop for free!!! I was extatic! After work I drove right over and talked to him and started loading it up. Here are a few pics of it in my truck bed and a few pics of it sorted in my shop. I'm guessing there is about $400-$600 worth of wood! Walnut, Maple, African Mahogany, Cherry, White Oak, Red Oak, Murtle, a sheet of 1/4 baltic birch, a sheet of 3/8 baltic birch, and a box of 24"x24" float glass.

Here are some pics so that you all believe me....

Brett G.

brett gallmeyer
07-15-2008, 1:16 AM
More pics of it sorted somewhat....

Dewey Torres
07-15-2008, 1:23 AM
So last week I read an add in the local paper. There was a guy that was selling off most of his tools because he was moving out of state. I stopped by and bought a heavy duty roller stand and about 8 bf of walnut off of him. I talked to him for about 2 hours about woodworking. Very talented guy. Well this morning I recieve a phone call from his wife telling me that he wanted to give me all the wood in his shop for free!!! I was extatic! After work I drove right over and talked to him and started loading it up. Here are a few pics of it in my truck bed and a few pics of it sorted in my shop. I'm guessing there is about $400-$600 worth of wood! Walnut, Maple, African Mahogany, Cherry, White Oak, Red Oak, Murtle, a sheet of 1/4 baltic birch, a sheet of 3/8 baltic birch, and a box of 24"x24" float glass.

Here are some pics so that you all believe me....

Brett G.

WOW Brett!

Being nice counts!

Dewey

Mike Cutler
07-15-2008, 5:18 AM
Karma dude, karma.

Nice gloat.:)

mike holden
07-15-2008, 7:29 AM
Good for you, Brett AND Good For THE GUY!!
I am sure that he felt that it was going to someone who would appreciate and use it well.
Dont disappoint him - and post pics of the projects you make with it.
Mike

John Keeton
07-15-2008, 7:32 AM
Brett, you have been saddled with a heavy burden! You are now obligated to create something of worth from every single piece of that wood. See, when you have to pay for wood, you get to make the choice to let it sit and collect dust. But, when one gives you wood, the burden is much greater!! So, I will be looking for the project posts with pics on a monthly basis.

brett gallmeyer
07-15-2008, 9:25 AM
I totally believe in karma!

Alot of these pieces are smaller. But most everything especially walnut is 8/4 stock. I have several prodjects planned out mostly for customers. However I do have planed to make a shadow box to display some of my grandfathers old woodworking tools. I also figured since alot of the pieces are smaller I would start making keepsake and jewlery boxes for all of my family members. I have 4 sisters and stepbrothers and 11 nieces and nephews!

I'm also planning out a Greene & Greene Chest that I found in a magazine a while back for my mother for christmas. I know that traditionaly they used mahogany or teak. But, I'm going to use red oak from a tree my dad fell and had sawn by a friend with a portable bandmill that he designed and built himself.

Don't worry everyone, I love this forum and will be posting plenty of pics of upcomming prodjects!

Brett G.