PDA

View Full Version : Is this guy on drugs?

william Ku
07-14-2008, 11:26 PM
I ran across this set of videos (http://www.expertvillage.com/video-series/1052_power-planer.htm) extolling the virtues of the hand-held power planer over those old, nasty hand planes, and had to wonder just what is wrong with this guy.

His demonstration of traditional plane usage is, well... Oh, you'll see.

Bill

Mike Henderson
07-14-2008, 11:46 PM
I love the way he tries to plane (with both the power planer and the hand plane) without clamping the board - so he uses one hand to hold the board and the other to push the plane. That's exactly the way a (house) framer would do it.

It's obvious he doesn't know much about furniture making.

Mike

[I didn't look at all of the videos.]

Clint Jones
07-14-2008, 11:52 PM
This is the first time I have actually laghued out loud for real. I didnt think you were serious but he is definately on something.

Expert: Robert J. McMahon is a master carpenter with over 20 years of experience of smoking crack cocaine.

Rob Stanhope
07-14-2008, 11:55 PM
I think it's a combination of stupidity and drugs.......multiple drugs.

Doug Mason
07-15-2008, 12:39 AM
He is obviously an expert in hand plane techniques!:) Very humerous.

Dewey Torres
07-15-2008, 12:52 AM
Did anyone take the time to read the comments from the others posted below the video. Some of them are funnier than the video itself!

:D:D:D

Dewey

Alfred Cole
07-15-2008, 3:38 AM
Have to admit I scarcely got through the first video. Very first thing I was ever taught was the hand should never be in front of the cutting edge.

But let's be fair to the guy, he has effectively demonstrated how to do everything wrong and that needs real talent. It should be shown to every beginner.

It also is a lesson in the use of the word "expert". The guy says he has had twenty years experience. No! he had perhaps five minutes experience and has lived for twenty years on that experience. Love to see a video of him hammering in a nail straight. I'm no great shakes at computers but I must try to put this on the Australian woodworkers forum. Australians have a real talent for descriptive phrases.

Jerry

War does not decide who is right. War only decides who is left

Jack Camillo
07-15-2008, 5:40 AM
Now that you've seen what that tool can do, anyone wanna buy a hand power planer? I have a basically brand new one that i bought five years ago. Planed a new doorway for 2.5 minutes and could never find another use for it.

Billy Chambless
07-15-2008, 7:28 AM
I love the way he tries to plane (with both the power planer and the hand plane) without clamping the board - so he uses one hand to hold the board and the other to push the plane.

In fairness, that is an excellent way to end up planing one's hand, so maybe the guy is an expert after all.

;)

Jim Sears
07-15-2008, 7:58 AM
This guy is an idiot. If he has 20 years of experience, I'm David Marks. I was almost too embarassed to watch. But, it did say that he had 20 years of experience. It didn't say he knew what he was doing. I've got 20 years of medical issues. But that don't make me a doctor.

Alfred Cole
07-15-2008, 8:37 AM
As I said i would, I put this on the Australian forum about five hours ago. They are commenting but are in shock. THE EXPERT has also made a video on ripping on the table saw. You ain't seen nothin yet, folks until you see that one.

Jerry

Wilbur Pan
07-15-2008, 8:50 AM
You all missed two things.

First of all, I think that the site is actually expertvillageidiot.com.

Second, he does have twenty years experience, which coincidentally was the last time that those blades were sharpened.

;););)

Dewey Torres
07-15-2008, 8:55 AM
As I said i would, I put this on the Australian forum about five hours ago. They are commenting but are in shock. THE EXPERT has also made a video on ripping on the table saw. You ain't seen nothin yet, folks until you see that one.

Jerry

Please post the link here!

I need another laugh:D

Dewey

Alfred Cole
07-15-2008, 9:08 AM
Dewey,

It's www.ExpertVillage.com (http://www.expertvillage,com) How to use a table saw.

Sorry I can't put the flash bits like "push here" If someone will help out a computer illiterate like me and put the site up on this thread you can cringe again guys.

Jerry

Duncan Potter
07-15-2008, 9:16 AM
http://www.expertvillage.com/video-series/897_table-saw.htm

John Schreiber
07-15-2008, 9:46 AM
I like to think this guy is really an advocate of neander methods and he is showing how badly things can go with power tools.

jeremy levine
07-15-2008, 9:46 AM
Did anyone take the time to read the comments from the others posted below the video. Some of them are funnier than the video itself!

:D:D:D

Dewey
Went back and read the first set. Really good:D:D

Next week in his series the "Sawzall" vs. "Those stupid Japanese pull saws"

Gary Herrmann
07-15-2008, 9:49 AM
His handplane video was pretty sad. The tablesaw video was painful to watch. I kept expecting a finger to go flying.

Is it just me or did he sound like he was slurring his words in the first handplane video?

mike holden
07-15-2008, 11:22 AM
"a perfect three inches" - using a tape measure! Obviously someone who learned by watching HGTV and monster house reruns.
Sheeesh! Words fail me.
Mike

Wayne Watling
07-15-2008, 1:56 PM
long sleeves, no safety glasses, no hearing protection, no splitter, no push stick, no featherboard...:eek:

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/13091_table-saw-rip.htm

did I miss anything

ps. what were the actual wood dimensions again?

Jim Koepke
07-15-2008, 2:16 PM
I think saying this guy is on drugs is an understatement. I have seen people on drugs and they need a lot before they get that stupid with tools.

Sure he has 20 years of experience, it just is not known at what he has 20 years of experience. Surely it is not using hand tools.

After watching the first video, I read the comments.

I have not watched anymore. I do not like the site of blood and it sure looks like that is where this is going.

jim

Phillip Pattee
07-15-2008, 2:17 PM
Incredible! I wonder if he is an expert on finishing too? I could really use some pointers.:p

Phillip Pattee
07-15-2008, 2:21 PM
Hey he has some nice videos on how to remove the safety features from your power tools, http://www.expertvillage.com/video/13090_table-saw-remove-guard.htm, because sometimes they're just in the way.

Chuck Hamman
07-15-2008, 2:37 PM
"The only thing about safety features is that often times they're just in the way. This guard here is removeable, and that's what we're going to do right now, is get it out of the way." -Rob McMahon for Expert Village

Now I'm no attorney, but doesn't that statement make Expert Village and Rob McMahon liable for any accidents that occurr as a result? After all, "Expert, Master Carpenter" Rob McMahon told me to remove the blade guard.

This guy and these videos are the scariest things I've seen on the internet.

-Chuck

Dewey Torres
07-15-2008, 2:48 PM
Man Will... thanks for posting this one. I am going to pass it along to all WWs who need a good laugh!

Dewey

Pat Germain
07-15-2008, 3:07 PM
Thanks for sharing this link, Dewey. I actually learned a few things from this guy:

1. Switching from heroin to methadone does NOT mean you're a fully recovered addict

2. Sometimes being the camera operator can be more dangerous than being the "stunt man"

3. If we're ever going to witness a human sacrifice, it will be this guy on one of his videos

william Ku
07-15-2008, 4:07 PM
Not a problem,Dewey.

Everyone's responses have been very amusing--It's a hoot!

I was bored and thought that a video or two on hand planes would be interesting, educational, and entertaining; thus the Google search began.

When i stumbled across this mess, my mind reeled.

I experienced basically every emotion; thought up possible reasons, justifications, plots--perhaps he is on drugs; has medical problems; is drunk; made these as a joke, and he and his friends sat around and laughed after shooting; etc., etc.

In the end, though, all I know is that that man, Robert J., " has a passion for building furniture," McMahon, master carpenter, has brought joy to my life, and I thank him.

I just don't want him to work on my house.

Bill

Mike Shields
07-15-2008, 4:35 PM
Reminds me of "The Old Crankee Workshop":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g4aTD8Of9g&feature=related

Can't help but think it's a spoof, because nobody can be that dumb.

(check out the beer in the tool bag)

Kinda similiar to a guy who water cooled his computer by taping and siliconing all the open edges of the computer, AND THEN FILLED IT WITH WATER! And he was asking why so many people water cooled when it damages every component in the PC.

Don C Peterson
07-15-2008, 4:39 PM
I agree with all of the above, that guy needs to get a clue and stop smoking his breakfast, but I know that my first exposure to hand planes was pretty close to that video... In high school shop class there were some rusty old Stanley planes that had probably not seen a bench stone in a decade. It took a huge amount of effort to "plane" along an edge and then even more effort to remove the tear-out by sanding. We weren't required to use them, but we were encouraged to do so at least once in order to see what it was like in the "old days."

I'm curious how many others are there who now consider themselves either full or part Neander whose first experience with hand tools was something like that video?

Jim Sears
07-15-2008, 5:10 PM
Have any of you guys gone to Expertvillage and looked at some of the stuff they have? I didn't realize there were so many "experts" in just about any field you can think of. However, none are quite as good as Mr. McMahon. Anything from how to fry an egg to how to walk in high heels to how to make a body cast. Some people just have way too much time on their hands.:D

Dewey Torres
07-15-2008, 5:24 PM
Since there are no real requirements, look for my posts on how to cure cancer, world hunger, global warming, and solve the energy crisis.

Dewey

Pat Germain
07-15-2008, 5:50 PM
I'm going to look for some "How to Run for Congress: And Win!" videos. That seems to be the best deal going in the US these days. Just do one term and you're set for life, baby!

Jack Camillo
07-15-2008, 6:02 PM
"Can't help but think it's a spoof, because nobody can be that dumb."

I finally watched one of the videos (first one). This is clearly a joke, or a spoof. The guy is drunk as hell (or on drugs) and not worth the time woodworkers don't have to spend watching that crap.

John Shuk
07-15-2008, 6:20 PM
You have to admit...He has a great screen presence.

Rob Stanhope
07-15-2008, 6:28 PM
1x4= 3 1/4"x3 1/2" ? .....who knew? G lad there are "experts" like that out there.

Scott Rollins
07-15-2008, 7:53 PM
I needed a good laugh! Wow. Had that guy ever used a plane before shooting the video? I know he never sharpened or tuned that one!

Johnny Kleso
07-15-2008, 8:02 PM
On Drugs?

Maybe but like a lot of people I bet if they cant use a tool they think its the tools fault...

What I cant believe is that he seems to be doing this for the website and says its for the host..
The info is just so bad and he's called an Expert???

In his credits he says he has rebuilt a few houses and lastly says a passion for furniture not an advid builder???

I Wonder Why :)

Dave Lehnert
07-15-2008, 8:11 PM
LOL!!!! I was looking at the video and got a pop-up ad for Heineken Beer LOL!!!!!

Pat Germain
07-15-2008, 9:00 PM
You know, when I first started reading this thread, I thought, "This is probably a spoof which just isn't very obvious". Well, I know spoof when I see it and hear it. This ain't no spoof.

I think this guy is similar to those people who audition for American Idol, but clearly have no ability to sing. Just like those people, this guy is completely delusional. I mean, c'mon. Surely he had to see the comments people were posting. A well adjusted person would see he's not being effective and completely ridiculed. A delusional person thinks, "No, they're wrong! I'm an expert!"

I honestly don't think the guy is on drugs. I've actually met many people with the same speech patterns and manerisms. It's just the way they are. Of course, being a hardcore alcoholic for many years can have the same result, but I'll give this guy the benefit of the doubt and just say that's the way he is. He's not drunk or on drugs, but he is delusional.

Dewey Torres
07-15-2008, 9:22 PM
QUICK... Someone e-mail him the link to SMC while there is still hope!

Dewey

Jim Sears
07-16-2008, 9:00 AM
I was going to do just that. But I can't find anyway to contact him

Travis Lavallee
07-16-2008, 9:26 AM
My favorite part is when he says you can control the depth of the cut much more accurately with the power planer than with the "standard plane".

Wilbur Pan
07-16-2008, 9:43 AM
Of course you can control the depth of the cut much more accurately with the power planer than with the "standard plane"! My "standard plane" takes a shaving of about 0.001-0.002". The power planer can be set to take an accurate 1/16" cut. That would take my "standard plane" about 30-60 passes to achieve the same result. Because of the number of passes, the inaccuracies in each pass add up.

QED.

;);););););)

Chuck Harris
07-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Whats really scary is some person who doesn't know anything about carpentry might actually follow this guys advice. Reminds me of the HBO special on sports media. There is no fact checking in the blogsphere!

Bob Strawn
07-16-2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the link, I need to be reminded of mainstream tool use now and then.

In the late 70's, when I was a carpenter, I did not know how to properly use a plane. I figured, new out of the box a plane would be at it's best. I knew nothing about grain, and hated using planes. Seemingly at random, planes mangled wood. :eek: Even then, I would not have considered this guy particularly savvy.

Someone needs to take a cameraman with them and show this guy what a simple square of metal with a burr on it can do. I want to see this guys reaction on film. :) Think of it as a public service, all the fingers we will have saved!

If his reaction is good enough, then we could introduce him to an out of the box LV Little Victor. We don't even have to pull out the big guns to slaughter his use of plane and sander in no time flat.

Sure, we could show him a Veritas bevel up plane, well made Krenov, or take him to a Japanese planing competition, but really why bother when a scraper could top anything he has ever seen.

Speaking of drug abuse, the scraper has to be the ultimate gateway hand tool. After using one, you kind of have to regret the years of sandpaper abuse.:D

Bob

Chuck Harris
07-16-2008, 3:13 PM
I couldn't even bring myself to watch his Nail gun videos.

Funny thing I've worked on jobs with idiots like this guy. One such clown was reaching into my tool box for one of my chisels when I remarked "Careful that tool is really dangerous"

He replied "I know how to use a chisel"

My answer was "But if you try to one of mine I'll have to hurt you"

Charles Shenk
07-16-2008, 8:57 PM
That guy is a butcher! :eek:

John Makar
07-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Robert J. McMahon is a master carpenter with over 20 years of experience. He has worked on many restoration projects of old, period homes in the Philadelphia area as well as ecologically friendly and environmentally clean homes in Massachusetts. He has a passion for building furniture.

I've used power planes in carpentry (and, yeah, house builders sometimes do odd things). You wouldn't want to do much work on joists with a hand plane, but then I don't use many galvanized nails in box making so it sort of equals out.

Charles Shenk
07-16-2008, 11:33 PM
"He has a passion for building furniture." :p

peter newton
07-18-2008, 12:06 PM
It does say at the end of the video all rights reserved

Dwain Lambrigger
07-18-2008, 6:44 PM
As I stated at Woodnet; every village has it's idiot, now I know who expert village's is.

Bill Houghton
07-18-2008, 10:52 PM
When I was in high school, someone came back from a trip to Nevada (next state over, so not a long trip) with a record of a guy who thought he could sing, but couldn't (the band backing him was awesome, which is what we all focused on: every time he changed key, which was about every second measure, though not predictably, the band changed key one beat later). Back then, he was just singing in a little bar in Nowhere, Nevada. Now, he could be on the Internet.

I feel for this guy: who told him he was knowledgeable enough to put this stuff out there?

Rod Sheridan
07-21-2008, 1:11 PM
I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. I just watched the Table saw videos, and my favourite is the "How to remove the Guard" from the tablesaw.

In the video Rob says " Hi! I'm rob McMahon for Expert Village. The only thing about safety features is that often times, they're just in the way". Of course he fails to mention that so are your fingers occasionally.

The really scary part about the video, is that people who are new to the hobby, may think that his methods are appropriate.

I'm just waiting to see his video on shaper operation....

Anthony Fields
07-21-2008, 1:37 PM
Great high school training videos of what not to do. Disorganized garage and holding wood with one hand and power tool with the other, than push the power tool.

Sorry, but I still have 10 fingers at 58 years old and intend on keeping them as long as I can.

Clamps must be an option?

Brett CoughlanAus
07-22-2008, 7:11 AM
Ha ha, excellent, keep thinking he's straight off an episode of Cops, you know just before they burst in those steel doors and start asking the hard questions:D

Douglas Brummett
07-23-2008, 1:50 PM
I came across this guys videos a while back. I had been playing around with a power planer that I inherited. After using it I determined that it didn't belong in the fine woodworking cabinet, but could be very useful for removing a lot of wood fast from things like doors and framing. Anyhow, I noted how poorly he controlled the planer and moved on. Guess I could have been more proactive in telling others how shady this guys practices are :rolleyes:

Steve Perez
07-23-2008, 2:55 PM
He reminds me of a guy that we once caught using my dad's wood chisels to remove concrete off of some forms. And I had just sharpened them a few days before! But alas, he traded his job for jail time, yes, drugs.

My goodness i still remember that sinking feeling but not much after that ...

Steve Perez
07-23-2008, 3:20 PM
I saw the nail gun safety movie clip ...

He holds the nose back and says:
"You can hold that nose piece back and pull the trigger and it would shoot a nail that would go through a piece of Sheetrock."
Sounds an awful lot like hes tried it before.

Towards the end of the video: "You don't want to have your hand holding it like this. You'll get your board lined up with your mark and you keep your hand in a safe distance. Now watch I'm going to miss intentionally here."

Andrew Homan
07-23-2008, 7:08 PM
To his credit, he does at least seem a little bit nervous as he demonstrates the reasons for nailgun safety!
These videos are hilarious but also scary -- it's shocking that Expert Village doesn't take many of them off-line. I guess they don't have lawyers working for them?
-Andy

Ted Jay
07-23-2008, 9:55 PM
He doesn't even follow his own advice:
If you watch the videos, the only time he wears any of the safety gear, is during the safety "demonstration" video. :eek: :confused:

Ted

Dewey Torres
04-10-2009, 1:32 AM
He is back folks if you can believe it::eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv-LAnPvvBY

philip marcou
04-10-2009, 4:01 AM
I suspect he is not fully baked, from the way he sounds-but one can't hold that against him.
He is after all a carpenter-and all carpenters think they can make furniture-easy as leaping from roof top to roof top, as they do.
I just read through the headlines for each video- all legitimate stuff for a hand power planer and I think that this tool is sadly underrated by cabinet makers and home woodworms in general- probably because it is perceived as dangerous -much the same stigma as the shaper.
Wonderful tool for hogging off waste, preparing huge boards,trimming doors, shaping various things- you name it. I love the little Makita I have had for many years.

John Schreiber
04-10-2009, 7:57 AM
The guy is some kind of sick. My guess is he's doing it to win a bet, or to prove that anyone can be an "expert," or he's just trying to be famous some how.

If he's got the brains to put a video on you-tube or "expert" village. He's got the brains to read the comments there. Despite the fact that he knows that everyone says he's a total idiot, he keeps going.

Craig Coney
04-10-2009, 8:21 AM
I can't wait for the "Handcut Dovetails with a Sawzall" video to come out.

David Keller NC
04-10-2009, 10:01 AM
OK guys, here's the really funny part. I did a little research on "expert village". The main site contains "expert videos" on a whole bunch of dumb stuff - the headline on the home page was "expert advice: How to Style a Mohawk Hairstyle". Those of use that lived through the pink and blue hair days of the early 80's would find just the title hilarious. Sort of like "Expert Advice: How to Give Yourself a Hernia". :D

And - the clincher. On Expert Village's home page there's a link titled "Our Experts". If you click on this, you get the following text:

"Expert Advice
With 0 experts, Expert Village offers you videos hosted by reliable and well informed sources. Get expert advice from professionals in your field of interest. Explore videos from our roster of experts and get answers to your everyday questions."

Note the significant typo - with ZERO experts....

In other words, we don't have any experts - so maybe we're all just morons posting you tube videos sharing our stupidity in exchange for a meager harvest of internet advertising revenues?

Brian Kent
04-10-2009, 10:25 AM
I suspect he is not fully baked, from the way he sounds-but one can't hold that against him.
He is after all a carpenter-and all carpenters think they can make furniture-easy as leaping from roof top to roof top, as they do.
I just read through the headlines for each video- all legitimate stuff for a hand power planer and I think that this tool is sadly underrated by cabinet makers and home woodworms in general- probably because it is perceived as dangerous -much the same stigma as the shaper.
Wonderful tool for hogging off waste, preparing huge boards,trimming doors, shaping various things- you name it. I love the little Makita I have had for many years.

Yes, but Philip, have you ever had a chance to use a real hand plane?

Don't Worry! I am kidding!:D

Brian

george wilson
04-10-2009, 10:35 AM
The guy is obviously an idiot who knows so little that he thinks he knows everything. There are lots of people out there just like that.They haven't enough i.q. to know how ignorant they really are.

Bill Houghton
04-10-2009, 10:42 AM
The guy is obviously an idiot who knows so little that he thinks he knows everything.

That is true of many of us at a certain age - some of us all our lives, but most folks learn the limits of their knowledge. To quote Mark Twain, "When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."

The trouble with the modern world is that, instead of realizing later that we've embarrassed ourselves in front of our family and neighbors, it's possible to embarrass ourselves in front of the whole world.

David Keller NC
04-10-2009, 10:49 AM
"it's possible to embarrass ourselves in front of the whole world"

Yeah - and also permanently, with web archiving. I'm very glad that the most sophisticated thing around when I was 13 was a color film camera and a primitive VHS camcorder (which didn't get used much, thankfully).

george wilson
04-10-2009, 12:12 PM
I am going to put on youtube how you can take the sheetmetal top off of your thickness planer,and use it like a jointer,by hanging from the rafters,and shoving wood across it with your feet. What do you think,David?

Roger Barlow
04-10-2009, 12:36 PM
How does he have any fingers (or stumps) left is beyond me. I could only watch one vid, I hope it is a joke. Just goes to show, the internet will make anyone an expert, all you have to do is post.

John Schreiber
04-10-2009, 12:36 PM
I am going to put on youtube how you can take the sheetmetal top off of your thickness planer,and use it like a jointer,by hanging from the rafters,and shoving wood across it with your feet. What do you think,David?
That just might make you famous. If there's a lot of blood and screaming that will help too.

george wilson
04-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Thank you for the creative tip,John,I'll include it!!!

Does anyone have ideas on a Youtube they could make?

David Keller NC
04-10-2009, 12:54 PM
"I am going to put on youtube how you can take the sheetmetal top off of your thickness planer,and use it like a jointer,by hanging from the rafters,and shoving wood across it with your feet. What do you think,David? "

Sadly, there would actually be some fool out there that would try it (and sue you after they lost a few toes). :rolleyes:

David Gendron
04-10-2009, 2:45 PM
What can I say... Howch this guy is good?!?!?! hoppe is not a creeker or maybe he should be!!!
David

Craig Coney
04-10-2009, 3:06 PM

If you put your stock on a couple of saw horses and turned the planer upside down, sounds like a self propelled jointer to me. The feed rollers would take it right along there. You could be an expert then, maybe even get a patent.

george wilson
04-10-2009, 5:15 PM
No!!! Craig!! That would be for planing floors!!!

Darius Ferlas
04-10-2009, 8:57 PM
I watched a couple of his exploits.
To quote Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness: 'The horror. The horror'.

Mark Singer
04-10-2009, 11:14 PM
I picked up some good tips!

Peter Scoma
04-11-2009, 1:03 AM
I dont think hes on drugs either. He looks like your average run of the mill idiot. Probably thought he did an awesome job after the fact.

ps

Jamie Cowan
04-11-2009, 12:38 PM
I can't wait for this guy's next video: How to Clean a Loaded Gun.

Craig Coney
04-11-2009, 3:40 PM
No!!! Craig!! That would be for planing floors!!!
George,
Just chain it up to the Roomba and you can resurface your hardwood floors while you are at your day job....

Derek Stevens
04-11-2009, 4:27 PM
wow..... just wow. for a bit I was thinking these were an American , underlit, wayne's world type of Red Green... wow. These should be pulled off the web, as it has been said here, somebody is going to get hurt.

As a post script, I add the message I just sent to expert village...

My suggestion may seem harsh, but the gentleman you have doing woodworking videos is of such poor quality that I am shocked that the lawsuits for injuries have not piled up. He is, in my assessment as a master craftsman with over thirty years of woodworking, a danger to himself, and as you put the videos out, to countless others. You really should look to legal council and determine what your exposure is in this hideous series. I am shocked, as are the woodworkers I have conversed with who have seen them.You should, in all good conscience remove them from the web.

Dan Karachio
04-11-2009, 7:49 PM
I wonder if Bosch has ever seen this and what THEY would say about having their product displayed like this? For what it is worth, I am writing Bosch at http://www.boschtools.com/Service/ContactUs/Pages/default.aspx

They are a good company and may be able to at least scare the hello out of the site or Rob with some big lawyer talk.

Edit:

For what it is worth, I wrote Expert Village this:

Do you realize how ridiculous Robert J. McMahon's videos are? The members of the most respected wood working forum around, sawmillcreek.org, are going nuts, disgusted or shocked that such an unqualified person is making videos that violated scores of the most basic safety practices understood by beginners. For example, never put your hand in front of a blade, secure your work, wear safety goggles and more. Each of his videos has him doing, quite frankly, one stupid thing after another.

Do you have any idea how many ER visits for power tool injuries occur every year? 37,000 a year for power nailers alone! 40,000 for table saws and on and on. Do you want to be part of that? Do you want someone with a chunk of their hand sliced off to say, "Gee, I saw it done this way on Expert Village!" You may have disclaimers on your site, but in this lawsuit happy culture, I can't imagine this being in your long term interest.

Rob is using a Bosch planer in his videos. I know, I have one. I wrote to Bosch and am asking all my woodworking friends to do as well. I am pleading with you to get these videos off the web, or at the least tagged for what they really are - anything but safe and anything but expert. If Rob is a friend of yours in some way, then why not have him redo the videos?

Good luck,

Dan

Dewey Torres
04-11-2009, 8:24 PM
Dan,
That is a good try but I know from other forums that Expert village has already been contacted. Maybe more is better on the letters. Time will tell.

Dan Karachio
04-11-2009, 11:05 PM
Hi Dewey,

Yea, I guess you never know. If they come here and see nearly 6000 hits on a thread with everyone laughing at this moron, it might wake them up. They actually have a guy with safe and common sense advice on planing, so they aren't completely out of it.

Dan

Matt Edwards
04-12-2009, 8:13 PM
Wow :eek: "20 yrs experience, 19 of which would have been better spent in rehab"

Just goes to show you a digital camera and a pc is all it takes to be an expert on anything.

Matt

Jamie Cowan
04-13-2009, 10:25 AM
Here's one, George: Electrical projects you can do in the shower.

John Messinger
04-13-2009, 12:25 PM
"Rainy Day Indoor Chainsaw Projects for Kids 6-60"

Jason Weaver
04-14-2009, 11:49 AM
You guys keep making fun of this guy and his "love for furniture," but I will have you know that he made me a beautiful office chair. It is custom made and truly one-of-a-kind.

Here is a pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/jazzmankc/Chair.jpg

Jamie Cowan
04-29-2009, 10:53 PM
I realize this is a really old thread, but I just thought of another video I want to see from this guy: A bench top table saw used upside down like a track saw.

Kevin Hartnett
04-30-2009, 4:58 PM
He's a disaster waiting to happen. No clamps, no safety glasses, bad technique and he's probably wearing sandals!

kjh

Jim Rimmer
04-30-2009, 5:48 PM
I had to rewind and watch again when he turned the planer on with his hand on the bottom of it. Also, the transcript refers to the "ingrain" he is trying to square up.

My first thought was why not use a circ saw but in this guys case, maybe not.

glenn bradley
04-30-2009, 6:16 PM
Expert Village is like watching a dog fight. You know its wrong but you just can't look away. I love the demonstration of how to crosscut (without any guards whatsoever, no splitter and his fingers over the top of the miter gauge) when he reaches in and picks up the cutoff with the saw still running. I keep thinking about running a one man campaign to get these fools to stop showing this garbage as if it is helpful instruction. I just can't believe it.