PDA

View Full Version : Tool Gloat

Bernie Weishapl
07-14-2008, 10:53 PM
Well it is finally all here. I bought a couple of gouges from Doug Thompson. 1/2" bowl gouge and 3/8" spindle gouge with handles from Dave Peebles. Hope I got the name right. I also had my Holdfast vacuum chuck come in last Friday. Finally got around to unpacking it tonight. Dave Hout gave me a demo using a pancake compressor and told me my Sears unit would work just fine. I got the tube that goes thru the headstock cut and now can't wait to give it a go. Now I just need some down time.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-14-2008, 11:08 PM
Congrats Bernie! Nice looking tools....all of them!

Steve Schlumpf
07-14-2008, 11:10 PM
Congrats on all your new tools Bernie! Really like the gouges! Looking forward to seeing how you like the Holdfast system!

Bill Bolen
07-14-2008, 11:13 PM
Nice gloat Bernie! Unless you really like to sharpen you are gonna love those Thompson's!...Bill...

Bruce Pennell
07-14-2008, 11:24 PM
Nice Bernie, you will love Doug's gouges. Can't wait to here your review on the holdfast system. I picked up a vacuum pump w/ vacuum bag on one of my buys off CL. Was looking for some feedback on the system you bought. Hope things calm down, so you can get back to turning soon....Enjoy your new toys..Bruce

Bernie Weishapl
07-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the comments. Yep I am hoping maybe this weekend to get some time. I can't wait to use the gouges. I am in the process as time permits getting the vacuum setup. I can't wait to try it and not have to use a donut chuck.

Matt Hutchinson
07-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Sweet! I hope that vacuum chuck really sucks! :eek: Can't wait to see what you produce with it!

Hutch

Burt Alcantara
07-15-2008, 1:18 PM
Bernie,
One possible gotcha is the pressure adjustment. It's one of those "in-the-middle" things, not a all-the-way-up or all-the-way-down things. When I got mine it hit 23hg out of the box. Trying to get more I ending up with 14hg so I called HoldFast. They put me straight on the adjustment and now I'm at 20-21hg.

If you have problems with porous wood try swirly some poly or reasonable-fact-similie for a good air tight seal.

Great tool. I'm very happy with mine.

Burt

Brodie Brickey
07-15-2008, 1:31 PM
Bernie,

Congratulations. I guess you made a couple purchases at the Symposium huh?

Ken Glass
07-15-2008, 6:02 PM
Bernie,
Congrats on the tool gloat. Please let us know how the Hold fast Vacuum Chuck System works. I know a lot of us have been wanting to know if it will do the job.

robert hainstock
07-15-2008, 7:01 PM
Those are great tools, and yes we all wnt the report on the vac system.:):):)
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
07-15-2008, 11:20 PM
Thanks again. Yes I will give a full report. Hopefully this weekend.