PDA

View Full Version : Low angle block plane LV or LN?

Brandon Shew
07-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Being somewhat new to hand planes, I thought that for my first purchase I would start out with a nice low angle block (to add to my hand-me-downs). I was looking at the LN 102 or the LV version. LV is a bit larger and slightly more money.

Anyoune used both or have a preference?

Mike Henderson
07-14-2008, 11:08 PM
I only have the LN 102 and like it. But the LV may be just as good.

Mike

Wilbur Pan
07-15-2008, 8:58 AM
Either low angle block plane is better than no low angle block plane. ;)

Seriously, the best thing to do is try them out, if possible. I've tried both, and could tell you which one felt better in my hand, but your hands are probably different from mine. Either one will perform very well, so it ultimately comes down to how comfortable you think the plane is.

Bob Noles
07-15-2008, 9:59 AM
I have the LV version and love it. I have not had the pleasure of trying the LN so I cannot compare. My main reason for going with the LV was the Option of adding the tote and knob allowing it to be used as a small smoother as well as a block.

John Schreiber
07-15-2008, 10:00 AM
I have the LN and it is a thing of beauty, designed and built with exceptional quality, and is an extraordinarily useful tool. That said, if I were buying now, I would check out the LV very carefully. A chamfer guide can be fit to it and larger handles can be attached so that you can push it harder. That makes it very useful with accessory high angle blades for use in difficult woods.

Still, the most important thing is to see which one fits better to your hand because most of the time, you will use it just that way.

Joel Goodman
07-15-2008, 12:59 PM
Note that the LN the poster mention is the smaller (fixed mouth) block plane and I think he is comparing it to the LV adj mouth block plane. LV makes a small apron plane and LN makes an adj mouth block which is excellent -- though larger and more pricey than the smaller one. I would advise looking at that model as well.

Mark Singer
07-15-2008, 3:24 PM
Yes the LN 102 is great!

Joe Meazle
07-15-2008, 4:33 PM
I have the LV and really like it. I have used the LN and it was fine. The LV fit my big fat hands a little better. I also like the Norris adjuster on the LV.

John Schreiber
07-15-2008, 5:25 PM
Note that the LN the poster mention is the smaller (fixed mouth) block plane and I think he is comparing it to the LV adj mouth block plane.
Never mind. I was talking about the 60 1/2 above.

Brandon Shew
07-15-2008, 9:24 PM
Seriously, the best thing to do is try them out, if possible. I've tried both, and could tell you which one felt better in my hand, but your hands are probably different from mine.

Unfortunately trying the LV isn't an option unless I order it. I'll probably stop by the local source tomorow to check out the LN though.

Jim Becker
07-15-2008, 9:31 PM
"Yes" is the answer! :D

But what Wilbur said if you can get the opportunity to hold both. Block planes can be somewhat "intimate" tools and the one that feels best in your hand is the one you want. For me, that's the LN. (Adjustable mouth version)

Brian Kent
07-15-2008, 10:17 PM
CraftsmanStudio has some excellent prices on the LN 102 right now. $64.50 for Iron and $87 for bronze.

Wilbur Pan
07-16-2008, 7:09 AM
Unfortunately trying the LV isn't an option unless I order it. I'll probably stop by the local source tomorow to check out the LN though.
Lee Valley has got an excellent return policy, and you won't get a better environment to try out the plane than in your own shop. I know that people worry about having to pay for return shipping when trying something out by mail order, but the way I look at it, if I drive to the store, buy something, and then drive back to return it, the store doesn't reimburse me for my gas. And these days, the difference between paying for shipping costs and the amount of gas I have to use to get to a woodworking store and back is pretty minimal.

Other options would be to look into a local woodworking club to see if anyone local has a LV plane, or to see if Lee Valley is an exhibitor at a woodworking show, if you can wait until woodworking show season. The last local woodworking show had Lee Valley and Lie-Nielsen booths almost right next to each other.

Lest you think that I'm an LV plane fanboy, I don't actually own any of their planes. But I have used them to order things for my shop in the past, and they are an excellent company to work with.

Peter Quadarella
07-16-2008, 8:18 AM
CraftsmanStudio has some excellent prices on the LN 102 right now. $64.50 for Iron and $87 for bronze.
This thread made me finally pull the trigger on a decent block plane (I decided on the bronze LN 102). The price at CraftsmanStudio is good, but they add on a $12.10 shipping charge. I ended up going to the LN site because the final difference in price was only $1.90 and I can't stand those high shipping charges.

Thanks for all the advice in this thread!

Danny Thompson
07-16-2008, 9:09 AM
I just went through the same debate, and, although I didn't hold the LV, I chose the LN 102. I picked it up, the bronze one, two weeks ago--a little souvenir from my trip to Atlanta (Highland Hardware). It is amazingly easy to use.

You know how people talk about a tool being an extension of your hand? This is one of those. It did a great job of shaving off some pencil marks and easing the edges on a few boards. I couldn't get over the fine hair-like shavings it took off of the corners. That, and it really is a beautiful, simple tool.

michael osadchuk
07-16-2008, 11:37 AM
I have the LN 102 iron "apron" block plane and like it; I bought it over LV's apron block plane because it is marginally smaller and has a slightly tighter mouth, allowing for a thinner shaving......

...... however, if you don't have an adjustable mouth block plane - larger and the adjustable mouth allows you to further adjust the thickness of the cut - I would recommend purchasing one of these before getting an 'apron' block as it has more uses.......

good luck

michael

Brian Kent
07-16-2008, 11:39 AM
My only temporary problem with the LN 102 is that the mouth seemed almost closed. Not like a tight mouth but like a can't do anything mouth. Then I realized that over about 2 years of honing I had changed the blade angle until it was too shallow. When I restored the original angle with a honing guide it worked like the gem I bought originally.

Roger Bell
07-16-2008, 8:50 PM
I own both LN and LV block planes. You would likely be happy with either.

I prefer the LV to the LN because it has more mass and is of a superior design.

Brandon Shew
07-17-2008, 8:47 AM
Well after the favorable reviews of both, I ended up getting the LN. I didn't get to try the LV (which was perhaps a disservice to my decisionmaking process). But when I held the LN, it just felt "right" in my hand so it's a decision I am comfortable with.

Quesne Ouaques
07-18-2008, 6:54 AM
I have the LV with the optional tote and ball handle up front. I love it. It's like having a #2 low angle smoother.

Will Blick
07-20-2008, 1:21 PM
Its impressive we have two companies that make such similar and high quality products. I have used both and could never complain about either.... but, IMO,

as others have mentioned, I am sold on Vertias's continued foresight with their tools, making them more versatile, such as the ability to add handle and tote for a mini plane and chamfer attachment...and the different angled blades available.... and added mass really is a benefit to any plane... there is something about mass that makes the cuts so much smoother, i.e. less herky jerky...