PDA

View Full Version : Backing Board for Clear Acrylic

Peter Meacham
07-14-2008, 5:18 PM
What material (and color) would you use as a backer boards for wall-hung clear-acrylic signs.

The arcylic signs will be mounted on .5" standoff's away from the backer boards - all the staff of the business have signed the arcylics (that have motivational theme slogans on the signs).

Sizes of the arcylic signs range from 20" x 20" to 32" x 48.5".

The customer wants blond-colored wood backer boards similar to existing cabinetry - the wood appears to be alder with a clear coat. I am leary of trying to fit together all the solid wood boards that would be required so that they would look good - given all the knots and seams.

The customer does not really want alder plywood because of the edges (which could be dressed, however).

Any suggestions on alternate materials for the backer boards please?

Joe Pelonio
07-14-2008, 5:36 PM
I'd try to get them to agree to 1/4" MDF with high pressure laminate face, painted flat black edges. It's available in wood grains, but you could also use a marble, granite, metal or leather look in a color that goes with the cabinetry. Look at Wilsonart, Formica etc.

Another alternative is Corian.

Peter Meacham
07-14-2008, 6:39 PM
Thanks for the input Joe - I thought about Corian - but the big ones would be too heavy, I think.

Good suggestion on the MDF - I just need to find a source - I will check the net - any suggested resources pls?

Joe Pelonio
07-14-2008, 7:12 PM
MDF and the laminates are available locally at better home centers and lumber yards, you'd probably want to buy 4x8 sheets to save #. Go to HD or Lowes to get samples of the laminate but if you have a resale license you should be able to buy wholesale from a place like this:

http://www.charlesmcmurray.com/dfres.htm

For the MDF try a hardwood supply, I think I've seen it at HD but only in 2'x4' pieces.