PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat

Steve Schlumpf
07-14-2008, 4:42 PM
I ran out of green wood about a month ago and was forced to start work on the proverbial ‘honey do’ list – also known as the never-ending remodeling job! Long story short – I hope to have my shop back in about a week and get back to turning – at least for a couple of days before the next phase of the ‘honey do’ list kicks in.

My neighbor, Bob, (everybody should have a good neighbor like Bob!) stopped over in middle of last week and asked if my chainsaw still worked. Yup – why? A friend of his, who lived just down our street, wanted a dead White Birch removed from his front yard. Great! A chance to pick up some wood and a welcome break from painting! Was home in about an hour with a truck full of birch!

Today Bob stopped over with a surprise in the bed of his truck. Bob has another friend who lives in Autrain, (actually Bob has a lot of friends), located about 20 miles from here – anyway, the guy owns 110 acres and has had a lot of blow down. He harvests what he can for firewood but all the stumps and nasty old burls are there for us if we want………!?!! In the back of Bob’s truck was a large cherry burl that he had picked up for me – shown in the photo – and was it ever heavy! WOW – Thank you Bob!!! Power washed it, hauled it out back of the shed and anchor sealed it and a maple burl that Bob had also brought along!

92508 92509

So, I now have some green wood waiting for me when I finally get some lathe time! I also am looking forward to going with Bob someday soon and seeing what we can come up with as far as maple and cherry burls!

Just wanted to share! Comments are always welcome!

Benjamin Dahl
07-14-2008, 4:59 PM
Steve, that is a pretty sweet gloat. have fun with it.
Ben

Bill Bolen
07-14-2008, 5:01 PM
Now that is a GOOD friend!. Congrats on the haul. I hope the never ending list ends soon for you!..Bill..

Bernie Weishapl
07-14-2008, 5:48 PM
Congrats Steve. Yep that is a friend for sure. Great looking wood pile.

mike fuson
07-14-2008, 6:05 PM
Congrats on the wood, burn the list.

Ken Glass
07-14-2008, 7:12 PM
Steve,
Friendship begets Friendship. You are deserving of a Wood Gloat. Way to go...Hope they keep coming. We all look forward to your turnings.

Pete Jordan
07-14-2008, 8:46 PM
Wow Steve!

That Bob is quite a guy!

Can't wait to see what you make!

Bruce Pennell
07-14-2008, 9:23 PM
Way to go Steve...nice score....Bruce

steven carter
07-14-2008, 10:02 PM
Steve
Can't wait to see the turnings!

Richard Madison
07-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Steve,
Outstanding and worthy gloat! Are you going to let a piece of that birch spalt? Seem to recall seeing some way beautiful spalted birch pieces somewhere.

Curt Fuller
07-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Nice haul Steve! I wondered why you hadn't been posting many pic lately.

Bob Hallowell
07-15-2008, 7:50 AM
Congrads Steve the burls look nice. That's some big white birch our white don't normally get that big around here.

Bob

Jim Evans
07-15-2008, 9:06 AM
Steve,
A couple of comments - I would really like to see how you attack that burl. Being new to turning I would not know where to start with that chunk of wood (or is it timber).

Secondly, feel grateful for your neighbors - we have one neighbor we have not spoken to since we moved in 7 years ago. It's not from lack of trying, he's just an old grump and won't even acknowledge us when we pass his house. Oh well, his loss.

Steve Schlumpf
07-15-2008, 9:19 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone! Always fun to share!

Richard - it is my intention to let the white birch spalt. They are sealed - with lots of moisture - so it should happen. The smaller diameter stuff already is spalted.

Curt - this being away from the lathe stuff was really driving me nuts for the first week. It's gotten worse since then! Have furniture stacked up in my shop from a spare bedroom and living room and hope to have it all back in place today or tomorrow. Had the carpet replaced - which lead to the removal/replacement of all the trim, the traditional painting of the walls, the fixing of the floor, replacement of all outlets, light switches, light fixtures, etc. Figured I would have everything back in place by yesterday and be able to turn this week but my wife slipped coming out of the house and fractured her Fibula. So, everything just got delayed as I am doing other things to try and help her. Always something, eh?

Bob - most of the white birch I have cut and turned is a lot larger than what you see here. Had many pieces last year that were in excess of 24" diameter - which makes for some great hollow forms once it is spalted!

Jim - I'm no expert when it comes to burls and will give this one some thought before cutting to it. Plus, you never really know what you have until you do cut it up. Have had some cherry burls that had more bark than wood! Also, sorry to hear about your neighbor - seems like there is always one - just don't let him affect you.

Mike Minto
07-15-2008, 9:23 AM
Great load of wood - can't wait to see what you do with it. That big, ugly piece of the trunk at upper left of the pile should yield some very nice pieces. Mike :rolleyes:

robert hainstock
07-15-2008, 9:34 AM
Two weeks ago when I visited my friend Jack In Au Train Twp' In Michigan's Upper Penisula we went up to his camp to harvest firewood. The wood is trees approximately sixty feet tall that blew over in a storm. these mostly maple and cherry trees have logs around 14-18 in in diameter. Jack heats with wood so it follows that he needs to harvest lots of firewood. while we were there, I spotted several stumps that Steve and I could salvedge for turning. One in particular caaught my eye, and that was the burl that Jack and I retrieved yesterday. I gave it to Steve because I cannot turn it on my little 1236 HF lathe, and already have way too much wood in my shop. As some have predicted Steve will do the piece justice. The burl is at least sixteen inches across and was at the stump level, or Jack would be burning it this winter. I would point out here that Steve would have been with me yesterday, but on Sunday his wife fell and broke her leg. Steve has been a great neighbor, and frequently helps me with chores that I am unable to do, (Health). I will never be able to repay him, but I can try. :D:D:D
Bob