PDA

View Full Version : Stepper motor or controller?

Ron Abner
07-14-2008, 1:05 PM
Hi everybody,

My chinese laser has worked almost flawlessly for a long time now, but I'm developing an issue over the last few days, and it seems to be getting worse.

My engraving isn't lining up vertically so I have no perfectly straight lines up and down -- it is very noticable when engraving text. Any suggestions on how I can figure out if this is a stepper motor issue, or a controller issue? I'd rather not start switching out parts since I will likely have to get them from China and it may take more time than I have.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Ron

Bruce Volden
07-14-2008, 1:31 PM
Ron,

Don't know much about your system but I assume ALL lasers are driven similiarly??? Anyway before swapping motors/controllers, take a moment and check other mechanical things. Look at the belt/s, any slop? Also look to see if there is "crap" in the peaks and valleys of the belt/s. Look also at the pulleys that drive the belt/s, any build up there? Do things move freely when macine is powered DOWN?

A place to start? maybe.

Bruce

Mike Null
07-14-2008, 2:37 PM
Very good advice from Bruce.

Ron Abner
07-14-2008, 3:45 PM
OK, I'm a bad laser engraver! I had instpected/cleaned everything (I thought thoroughly) before posting my issue. I went back over everything, litterly with a fine tooth comb (or a toothbrush as it were) and found a lot of gunk on the buttom side of the rail that the head rides on. A thorough cleaning seems to have done the job. Thanks for the input Bruce!