PDA

View Full Version : Roy Underhill visits Portland, Oregon

Steve Beadle
07-14-2008, 11:44 AM
I was thrilled to be able to meet one of my woodworking "heroes," Roy Underhill of PBS' The Woodwright's Shop, when he was in Portland, Oregon, this last weekend, teaching a class on making a spring pole lathe. Roy has been on PBS since about 1981, I believe, bringing his own brand of traditional hand tool expertise and enthusiasm. Those of us who have viewed The Woodwright's Shop know what a wit and personality Roy is, and I can tell you he is just as warm and witty in person.

He's got a new book coming out soon, I heard--one he's particularly proud of because one of this daughters drew the illustrations for it. I can't remember the title exactly, but it has something to do with "wedges and edges".

Just thought I'd share this picture of me an' Roy, hangin' out at Gary Rogowski's Northwest Woodworking Studio!

Steve

mike v flaim
07-14-2008, 10:01 PM
He'll be teaching again at this November in Berea, KY at the Woodworking in America Conference.:D I've already scheduled my classes to attend and Roy will be teaching in a few of them. I'd like to drink a beer with him but the tavern get-together on thursday night is already booked. :mad:

Narayan Nayar
07-15-2008, 12:17 AM
He's still here in Portland. He stopped by the studio again today (I'm taking the weeklong handsawing class with Chris Schwarz). Honestly, if someone hadn't pointed Mr. Underhill out, I wouldn't have recognized him. He didn't have a cap or suspenders on and he was wearing sunglasses... :cool:

Seems like a real nice guy. He was ogling our tools and reveling in the sound of many people sawing.

Dave Lehnert
07-15-2008, 4:24 PM
I got to meet him a few years ago. If you talk to him away from the "show" he is just a regular guy. Very different than on TV. Him and is brother writes manuals for IBM or something like that in there day jobs.