PDA

View Full Version : Proud moment for a Dad

Richard Magbanua
07-14-2008, 9:05 AM
Hello,
I thought the Dads out there might enjoy this.
I'm a father of 2 boys and like many fathers I struggle at times with the increasing distance between myself and my oldest with regards to our interests. These days it's really difficult to hold the attention of a seven year-old unless you are a Transformer or video game especially when it comes to sharing something like woodworking. I was the same way of course. It's all part of growing up.
Well, we just returned from our annual vacation to Derby, Indiana where we spend 5 days in cabins on the Ohio River. I decided to take some hand tools to practice my dovetails in the mornings while the family wakes up. The first morning my oldest son Justin watches me and asks about some of my tools! I happily handed him a saw and let him make some sawdust. Then I let him use a hand drill and make some holes. He seemed like he was having fun so I grabbed a split log from the woodpile and showed him a hand plane. This is where he really had great time and I was proud to see him make his first shavings. Before long he was holding up his shavings and showing Mom how well he was doing. He insisted we keep those shavings to show off to his cousins later that morning.
I quickly realized that this was a moment to cherish and remember forever and I was beside myself with pride. It must have been obvious because I have pictures to share thanks to my wife Shawnie.
So, for all of you dads dealing with parenting in today's world, I hope you have either had a moment like this or will have one someday soon. If you have, please share your story and pictures if you have them.

Take care,
Richard M.
Indianapolis, In

Jim Becker
07-14-2008, 9:26 AM
VERY kewel moment! Thanks for sharing! And point taken...

Mark Stutz
07-14-2008, 9:32 AM
Ageed! A priceless moment. I would have the close up of his face and shavings,framed and on my desk!

Mark

Richard Magbanua
07-14-2008, 9:36 AM
Thanks guys! I am planning on a shadowbox of some sort to keep the shavings in along with the pictures. He might even be willing to help with the final smoothing.

Ron Jones near Indy
07-14-2008, 10:17 AM
That was indeed a very special moment. The shadow box is a great idea.

Henk Marais
07-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Mine is 4 years old and the time spend with him in the workshop every weekend is absolute priceless. I cherrish every second of it and also know that this will probably not last for ever.

About two weekends ago we had a comunity effort to help a strugling school to sand down their desks, as usual he was where the action is and not in the least bit interested in the jumping castles and games that was set up to amuse the kids. one by one the schools', less fortunate, pupals also came and joined him. Dad had to go down to his level and explain to him that he must please let them also have a turn, as he gets lots off opertunaty and that some of these boys has never even seen equipment like his before never mind used it. I was so proud when he then allowed them to use his sander while he used a sanding block.

And just this past weekend he declined a Walt Disney film festival with mom, to rather work in the workshop - I can not tell you the how I cherish these moments.

Brian Kent
07-14-2008, 10:50 AM
You guys are making a lifelong investment in your relationship with the kids. You'd be amazed how many people - men and women - that I talk to who say their most outstanding memory of dad or grandpa is how they taught them woodworking. Way to go!

I'm looking forward to hearing the stories of mom and grandma teaching them woodworking too!

Jack Camillo
07-14-2008, 4:53 PM
key factor - you guys are lucky to have sons. My daughter never found any interest in what I was doing in the shop and around the house. boohoo. anyway, good pictures, too.

John Perkes
07-14-2008, 6:08 PM
I have fairly young daughters, but I still have my hopes up that they may be somewhat interested in doing something with me later in life. I wish I had spent more time with my dad doing things like woodworking. I am happy for you guys!

Jim Koepke
07-14-2008, 6:38 PM
My son has spent very little time with me wood working. My daughters were pretty much grown by the time I got into woodworking.

One of my granddaughters does enjoy using an egg beater drill and often asks is she can drill some holes. One of my grandsons has enjoyed using a plane and the drill. Hope I can get my newest grandson interested, little early to tell. He is only five days old.

I want someone in the family to use my tools when I am gone. It would be a heck of a lot easier than trying to sell them all on eBay.

Still have a few grandchildren to go.

Here is the next one up, it will be a year or two as he is only three now.

jim

gary Zimmel
07-14-2008, 6:47 PM
Some moments are priceless. That was one of them....

Bob Noles
07-14-2008, 8:40 PM
Richard,

I do believe that you have redefined the term "Kodak Moment"

What a great story and fantastic pictures. Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

Brandon Shew
07-14-2008, 10:42 PM
Your son is young enough to have different interests than you at this point. He sees the world from an entirely different perspective, but don't fret. When I was growing up, I saw woodworking and general handyman/house repairs as a chore. My dad made me do it with him (when I wanted to be hanging out with my friends) which probably made me feel that way about it.

Looking back now I wouldn't have traded those times for anything, and my dad is the reason that I enjoy woodworking today and he and I still get in the shop when we get a chance. Let your son grow up to be himself with your influence and you'll be suprised how much you have in common when he's grown. I have 2 daughters so it's doubtful that woodworking will ever be something that I can share with them.

Jim Koepke
07-15-2008, 2:34 PM
I have 2 daughters so it's doubtful that woodworking will ever be something that I can share with them.

I don't know about that.

There are a few women who post here that seem to be interested. So do not count the daughters out.

One of my daughters is a preschool teacher and an after school activities coordinator. She likes to take my wood shavings and small scraps for the kids to make things out of. So she is not a wood worker per se, but her daughter who has just turned five is interested. The picture I posted earlier in this thread is her youngest son. All three of her children like to hang out in the shop with me.

jim

John Shuk
07-15-2008, 8:24 PM
It is a great moment when you get to make that connection with a kid.

I too have a seven year old boy. Also a 5 yr old and a 2 yr old. I've been spending more and more time with the older boy in the shop making birdhouses using hand tools and it has been wonderful. We make gifts for friends and neighbors and he even made a bathouse for his buddies 7th birthday. I was so proud when I watched him tell the other kids that he had made it. He loves hand planes and if only his father were better at getting them to work well he'd make some nice shavings.
We went to the NWA showcase this year http://www.nwawoodworkingshow.org/ and with the generous help of some club members he made a tool tote that he promptly filled with gossamer ribbons from the L-N booth. He spend about 20 minutes using the planes and then moved onto the LV booth and did the same. It has really been a joy to work with him. I need to take more pictures but I'm lacking in that department.

Richard Magbanua
07-16-2008, 7:15 AM
Now that is inspiring John! Good job with your son. It sounds like he's pretty much hooked. BTW, did he have a preference between LN and LV? His birthdays may be a bit more expensive from now on! Hmmm... My son might like a new bevel-up jack for Christmas this year...:rolleyes:

Peter Quadarella
07-16-2008, 10:23 AM
That is awesome! Great job capturing the moment - all too often I let them slip away. I can't wait until my son and daughter get old enough to hang out with me in the shop.

John Shuk
07-16-2008, 4:28 PM
Now that is inspiring John! Good job with your son. It sounds like he's pretty much hooked. BTW, did he have a preference between LN and LV? His birthdays may be a bit more expensive from now on! Hmmm... My son might like a new bevel-up jack for Christmas this year...:rolleyes:

Both companies are impressive and inspiring to me.
He was however disappointed not to get to meet Thomas Lie-Nielsen who is usually at this show. I told him about this man who decided to start making great hand planes and told him what a nice man he is. All of which are truths. I plan on taking him to the factory one of these times we are in Maine.