PDA

View Full Version : Plywood for jigs?

Mark Kelly
04-22-2004, 3:57 PM
What is the best plywood for jigs and why?

I found a source of Russian Birch ply for just under $1 per sq. ft. That is the same for a sheet of maple plywood. The Russian Ply has a lot more layers. Not sure it that makes it better or not.

Jim Becker
04-22-2004, 4:12 PM
"Russian Birch" is made in the same design as baltic birch and may or may not be less expensive. Both are considered "best" for jigs or anything else that can benefit from the consistancy. They also have no voids (supposedly). The larger number of layers makes it more stable.

Todd Burch
04-22-2004, 8:03 PM
Mark, the "best" plywood depends on the caliber of jigs that you are making, and, what you expect their life expectency to be.

If I'm making a jig that I know I will reuse, I grab whatever is "good" and handy. Good can mean flat, smooth, clean, crisp edges, appropriatly sized so I don't create extra waste to shuffle around, etc.

I prefer 1/2" baltic birch. For a tablesaw jig or router table jig, I don't lose as much blade or bit with 1/2" wood versus loosing 1/4" more of a blade or cutter with a 3/4" base.

I'll typically use MDF for disposable jigs, or for large jigs that I want beefy and heavy. It takes a face screw well too.

I made my tablesaw crosscut sled back in early '98 and am still using it today. 1/2" Baltic Birch with 1" wide red oak rear fence and 1" yellow pine front fence. I've probbly pushed it a couple miles back and forth on the tablesaw since then. (2,000 crosscuts, forward and reverse = 4000 passes, 16" each way is more than a 1 mile :) ) White oak runners - no slop yet.