PDA

View Full Version : Delta DC-380 Planer Broken Brake?

Calvin Crutchfield
07-14-2008, 3:03 AM
I have a DC 380 planer that I have had about 3.5 yrs. It has seen extremely light use, used 4 maybe 5 times at most.

While using it today, I stopped for an intermission, but when I attempted to restart it just hummed and tripped the ckt. Nothing was jammed and everything moved freely.

Later, armed with a screw-driver, I dove in. I removed the fan cage, and the fan revealing what I believe is a centrifugal force brake of sorts. " I think"

Anyway, as you can see from the pics, it is broken where it screws to the shaft. I believe this caused it to move to far away from the motor. It can no longer disengage the brake. So I moved it closer and tightened as best as I could considering. It now works!

So my questions are:

1. Is this a brake?
2. Where do I get the part number? A link to an exploded view maybe?
3. Since this is an X5 machine that is a 5r warranty and the part replaced for free?
4. When the new part is received anyone know how to install it correctly? So I don;t have to guess on its position on the shaft?
5. How do I obtain the part and more importantly the part number?

I have a local tool place that can order the part for me unless someone knows a better place online.

Thanks!

Alan Schaffter
07-14-2008, 12:27 PM
1. That is not the brake!!!! That is a centrifugal switch that connects the start capacitor to the motor windings and disconnects it when the the motor has reached the appropriate RPM. That is why it won't start- no start capacitor.

2. The part number may or may not be on the exploded art which is available online at Dewalt/Delta ServiceNet. (http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/). It looks like you just need one part that looks like it would be easy to replace if you are at all mechanically inclined.

3. The ServiceNet site also has links and various info- including location and phone numbers of service centers. Before you tear it apart or call, read your warranty and see what it says about the planer and the motor then call them with your machine info and see what they say. I would think they would (a) send you a new motor, (b) repair it for free, or at the very least (c) send you a new part.

4. You may need to take it to a Dewalt/Delta Service Center, or if none is near you and they will only send you the part and you want it fixed quickly you can take the part and motor to any local electric motor shop and have it fixed in 5 min.

5. See 2. and 3. above.

Calvin Crutchfield
07-14-2008, 6:05 PM
Thanks Alan!

I contacted a service center and they consider that an internal part. They do not offer parts, only new motors.

Kind of a waste, but it is what it is.

Alan Schaffter
07-14-2008, 8:28 PM
So are they sending a new motor?

Frederick Rowe
07-14-2008, 8:45 PM
Absolutely Delta should fix under the X-5 warranty! I bought a used DC-380 last year and it runs like a horse. This design hasn't changed in quite a while and they have a tough reputation. Good luck with Delta.

Calvin Crutchfield
07-14-2008, 8:50 PM
So are they sending a new motor?

Just heard from the service center. The motor has been ordered, it is in stock and will come directly to me in about 5-7 working days.

Very Nice..

Calvin Crutchfield
07-22-2008, 7:03 PM
Within a week I had the new motor to my door. All I needed was that small piece, butI'm not going to complain.

Now, what to use a 230v 3hp motor for.....

Cudos to the service center and Delta I presume...

Peter Quinn
07-22-2008, 9:49 PM
Uh..maybe my math is wrong, but it seems you have one good motor, one good planer, and one broken motor the parts for which are not sold individually? Did they send you the new motor and the part to fix the original?

If not a sketchy 3HP22V motor makes an excellent door stop or gag gift at a holiday party.

Calvin Crutchfield
07-22-2008, 10:20 PM
Suppose I should have mentioned that the small part can be fixed in a cpl ways.

It can cinch down a little, then a securely placed zip tie does the trick.

But I have sent the broken part to a friend who will hopefully weld it allowing it to work properly.