PDA

View Full Version : ever get the "strobe" effect?

Terry Achey
07-14-2008, 12:30 AM
I finally got a chance to cut about 7 bowl blanks of fresh walnut off my log pile and spin one onto the lathe while still plenty wet. This 11" by 6" chunk had a good bit of white sapwood on two opposing sides. Well.... after a short while I noticed that my vision seemed blury. A short while later I was getting bothered again with my vision and I stepped back and thought about what's going on... was I possibly that tired? (It was late and I was really tired but that wasn't the problem.) The combination of the RPM and the dark / light colors were giving me a real strobe effect that made it really difficult to focus my vision. The blank was actually emitting a strange blue / green blurry color! :eek:

Anyway, was wondering if anyone else experienced something similar. Kinda cool, kinda freaky.

BTW - found out green walnut = black stains on hands.... long time!:D

Terry

Jim Maxwell
07-14-2008, 7:05 AM
I use a flourescent tube over my lathe. Many people have suggested that was dangerous because the strobe effect would make the turning job 'stand still'. My lathe has electronic variable speed from 0 to 2700rpm. I have never been able to make the job 'stand still'. I can however get the 'wagon wheel' effect but it is never 'dangerous'. Our electricity supply is 240 volts with at 50 cycles per second.
I would suggest the effect you got was from light coloured sap wood.
Jim

Bruce Pennell
07-14-2008, 7:32 AM
Terry one of the best add ons I've made to my new PM lathe was a $39 light from Staples. It really helped, never thought it would make that big of difference...Bruce

Russ Sears
07-14-2008, 8:04 AM
That type of strobe effect can actually set off a seizure in susceptible individuals.

Rick Mills
07-14-2008, 8:39 AM
To remove the black from your hands, and the sapwood on your bowl, lemon juice seems to work well.

Doug Thompson
07-14-2008, 9:17 AM
This also happens when turning thin with a light behind the turning. Change the RPM's to get rid of it... well it's not as bad at a different rpm.

Bernie Weishapl
07-14-2008, 10:39 AM
I did like Bruce and added a regular light to the lathe. Took care of it.

curtis rosche
07-14-2008, 11:34 AM
its not just green walnut that does this. when its dry it does the same thing, just that it only lasts a day or so. i guess if it becomes to much of an issue you could just turn with your eyes closed

john taliaferro
07-14-2008, 1:51 PM
or sun glasses, their suppose to remove glare.:cool:

Terry Achey
07-14-2008, 10:40 PM
Thanks guys for the tips RE: lemon juice tip and good lighting. I did have one of those clamp on utility lights with like a 100 watt bulb. However, the wattage produces too much heat for my liking and it's often in the way. I'll look for another clamp on lighting solution.