PDA

View Full Version : Help with Illus files?

Janet Blair
07-13-2008, 8:56 PM
I am a new kern laser owner doing my files on a mac in illus. I have no problems importing vector files into Corel. When I print to my laser and begin cutting I have noticed that my lines are not connected. Before I import them I know that they are connected in illus. If I ungroup my vector images I notice that it is a multiple of little lines not one continous line. Can any help Please?
Janet

Marc Myer
07-13-2008, 11:59 PM
I do the same: AI files exported to Corel from a Mac and PC, but have not had that problem. A bit more info, please (which versions)?
Generally, some items worth looking at: When you export the .ai file, save it as V.10. Corel likes the earlier versions.
Flatten the layers in Illustrator before saving, if you aren't already.
When you use Corel, make sure you use Import command. That works well for me.

Doug Bergstrom
07-14-2008, 8:58 AM
If you are using CX3 on your mac, just save the file as an EPS and then place it in Corel X3. This works the best and is our standard workflow. The only issue we tend to run into is that a hairline in Illustrator is not recognized as a hairline in Corel and we usually will have to change that to get our Universal to make a cut path. If you are using an earlier version of Corel....upgrade. The earlier versions had many issues with Illustrator to corel transfers.

Clyde Baumwell
07-14-2008, 9:07 AM
Last week Corel started quitting on it's own whenever I tried to import an ai file. I have done this successfully in the past. Any ideas about a fix?

Corel 11, AI CS3 on Mac, saved Legacy as an ai Version 9

Darren Null
07-14-2008, 9:10 AM
In the 'finding the file' dialogue, turn off 'preview image' before pressing the 'import' button. Some EPS and AI make my Corel explode if I forget this. Worth a try.

Janet Blair
07-14-2008, 8:03 PM
I work with Illus CS and I saved the files as "illus 3" files, then open the files in CorelDraw X4 and make sure the files were hairline. If you ungroup the vector shapes. The shapes seem like little pieces, not one vector outline.
I don't understand because they are one outline in Illus. When I make them.
Has any one else have this problem? I am cutting on Kern Laser and software is KCam7.
Janet

David Fairfield
07-15-2008, 8:05 AM
Hi Janet

Converting to corel may be unnecessary. Have you tried printing directly from .ai file to your laser? I have an Epilog and as long as my work is cropped tight and the print driver settings are dialed in correctly, it works flawlessly.

When I was new to the laser, I converted to corel, as the representative recommended, but it was time consuming and I personally dislike corel so I experimented and found it wasn't necessary.

You can search this forum for a recent discussion of using adobe files with the Epilog.

HTH
Dave

Doug Bergstrom
07-15-2008, 8:11 AM
I have not found a work around to Corel with our Universal System that works well.

If you are going to back save from Illustrator I wouldn't go back beyond illustrator 8 or you might have problems.

Clyde Baumwell
07-15-2008, 9:01 AM
I have an older ULS and the print drivers are confusing when using illustrator. For example, I have to "fool" the print driver by creating a 24" x 24" document in order to get a document to print on the ULS. And then it is trial and error to find where the image is engraving.

Illustrator wont print to a 12 x 24 sheet size.

I am sure I could figure it out but it doesn't come up that often.

Thanks for the tip on the preview--I will try it. - it is just strange that it recently started doing this