PDA

View Full Version : Quilting Templates

James A. Wolfe
07-13-2008, 8:14 PM
My wife has become a avid quilter of late and as such, has attended more than a few classes. During her last class, there were templates made from some vellum type material used for tracing and cutting. After listening to her grouse about the flimsy templates, I made her a set from acrylic. Needless to say, it was a big hit with the group. I've just made ten sets for the next class and I've attached the file below. Anyone with additional templates they'd like to post, I'd appreciate it. I like being the hero but since I give them to the group, I don't want to spend a lot of time scanning and drawing. I told them I would make up to ten sets per class but if they wanted to stock the templates for retail, I'd forward the business to someone here who would supply them since I don't do this as a business. Any takers?
Thanx,
Jim

Joe Pelonio
07-13-2008, 11:25 PM
I have made literally thousands of quilt templates, but most are copyrighted and patented by my customers so I cannot share them. My wife teaches sewing at a local quilt shop, in fact they are sending her to a convention next week in Kansas City. I do sell a few through them and have done others from my website but have found that the mass-produced cast/screenprinted ones they sell at the stores already are good enough for most people. By the time we do the artwork to get a vector file, then charge for the acrylic and laser time the price gets up there. Of course the wifes gt the family discount (100%).

James A. Wolfe
07-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Joe,
My wife is in the same discount bracket as yours. I mentioned the copyright issue to the shop owner before I made the last templates and they tell me that they will only be teaching "heritage" quilt patterns that are in the public domain.
Isn't it amazing how the transition from expensive toy to honey-do tool happens?
Thanx,
Jim