PDA

View Full Version : Wood choice for workbench top??

Jim VanBramer
04-22-2004, 1:08 PM
I just found out I can get my hands on some free pine and spruce boards. They'll be 1 x 2, 1 x 3 & 1 x 4's in lengths long enough for a workbench. First of all, knowing these aren't exactly the hardest woods out there, should I even consider making a benchtop out of them, and secondly, if it is feasible to use them, then which thickness would you recommend?

John Miliunas
04-22-2004, 1:21 PM
"Free" is a GOOD price, Jim!:D Here's my take on it: If it's a choice of "some" workbench with free materials or no workbench, due to lack of funds, it's a no-brainer! Take ALL the 1x material. Glue up the 1x3's face to face for your top. Glue up the 1x4's for your main legs, use the rest for cross-braces and misc. Pine and Spruce are very soft and easily damaged, so just get yourself a sheet of 1/4" hardboard and *screw* it on the bench top (don't glue it) and you have a renewable surface, which is also durable. :cool:

Tom Scott
04-22-2004, 1:23 PM
Sure, you can use pine for the bench top. I used 2x pinefor mine (see below) and it has worked great. It won't wear as good as hard maple or other hardwood, but is a lot cheaper...especially in your case.
Using 1x members, though, will require a LOT of glue-ups. That will be the biggest disadvantage. I would suggest going with the 1x4's so that you end up with a final thickness in the 3" range.

Tom

Jim Becker
04-22-2004, 1:24 PM
They will work fine as long as you are not doing a large amount of hard "hand-work" on the surfaces. Choose the spruce if you have a choice, IMHO. "Flat" is the most important aspect of the benchtop as even the material you are considering will take a pretty good beating, although it will ding and chip easier.

Of course, you can also take the "modern" and inexpensive alternative route and use two or three layers of MDF topped with a replacable 1/4" hardboard panel...very flat when supported right; very dense; very durable. Doesn't look as kewel as glued up wood, but then again...it doesn't cost nearly as much either.

Perry Schmidt
04-22-2004, 2:57 PM
Yea - pine isn't a problem. I did like Tom and made one out of 2xX material. works great! If I ever need a harder surface I have a sheet of 1/8 hardboard cut to the size of my bench that I through on top. Protects the pine real nice. Don't end up using it much. Mostly when I'm working w/ sheet metal on the bench.

Perry

Todd Burch
04-22-2004, 8:11 PM
Jim, if it were me, I would take it and use it in a heartbeat. Here's why...

If you made a traditional joiner's bench with hardwood and nice and all, you would DEE-ARE-EEH-AY-DEE "DREAD" drilling a hole in it or screwing into it for a temporary cleat, or jig, or hold down, or whatever. You would be worried about getting glue, and finishes, or solvents on it, or setting a drink on it, etc., etc., etc.. And, rightfully so, as it would be an item of beauty.

If you use free materials, and approach your bench from the standpoint of it is a tool and NOT a piece of shop furniture, you will be much more at ease working with it.

Whatever you make, make it sturdy and heavy and flat and level, with plenty of storage, and you'll be a happy camper.

Jim VanBramer
04-23-2004, 1:04 AM
Thanks for the advice guys ...
Todd, I especially like your way of looking at it ... I want it to be a tool, not something that I'll be afraid to get a scratch on! :eek: :D :D

Lynn Kasdorf
04-23-2004, 2:11 PM
In my world, I am always needing benches. Eventually I can see building a furniture grade traditional bench, but I would also need a few beaters. I have seen benches that folks have built that are museum pieces. If you spilled some paint on one of these, you'd be cussin' and freaking out.

And the MDF/hardboard approach would be a great approach too, especially for an assembly table which needs to be very flat.

So, build a bench or two out of what you have, then build a really nice one someday.

Pat Salter
04-23-2004, 11:35 PM
Solid core doors. they make great work benches. I've built a couple for at work and I'm now looking for one or two for my home shop. Why am I looking?I want them at the same price as your pine/spruce, haha. If I had your deal? I'd do it in a heartbeat. Good luck and send us some pix.

Erik Stol
04-24-2004, 4:38 PM
Hello Jim,

I did it the aesy way, I simply bought via a contractor two pieces of 40mm meranti plywood (exterior quality), screwed them on a frame and wel there was my workingbench in just one hour time. The plywood pieces are "doorsize", that means 830x2110 mm, That is roughly 33x83 inches each. i didn't bother to put some varnish or what so ever on top of it. It's a workingbench. And if ther are to many holes or other damages, I simply unscrew the whole thing and turn it upside down.

OK buying 2 pieces would cost normally quit some Euro's, but when you have some good contacts whitin the contractors and suppliers world you can get yourself a barhgain.

Good luck

Erik Stol
The Netherlands