PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Planer GO586

Russell Tribby
07-13-2008, 9:28 AM
I upgraded from the Ridgid 6" to the Grizzly 8" GO586 long bed a couple of months ago. It's been somewhat of a disappointment thus far. Initially I had quite a jolt/vibration upon start up. I changed to link belts and that helped a lot. The Shop Fox base (I know a lot of people don't like this base) blew a wheel the other day. I went to move the machine and saw chunks of black stuff on the ground. I got a closer look and the wheel was literally in pieces.
I've had pretty sufficient scalloping since day one. If I slow my feed rate way down it's not as bad. My Ridgid wasn't nearly as bad and the Grizzly has an extra knife and an additional 7,000 cuts per minute.
I already have some nicks in the knives as well. I realize that that's probably my fault but I can't imagine what I would've hit. I've used it to joint about 300 bd ft. of poplar and alder. In the 3 years I had the Ridgid I never had an issue like that.
I don't know if I'm having buyers remorse or not. I know that I love the long bed and the increased capacity but the actual performance of the machine is very disappointing. This is my first Grizzly purchase and it's given me serious doubts about future purchases. I plan on calling them tomorrow to see if I can get a new wheel for the base. I'm not sure that they can do anything about the other issues. I guess I'll have to send the knives off for sharpening or offset them. Any suggestions?

Brad Townsend
07-13-2008, 10:10 AM
Russell,

Sorry about your experience with the G0586. I don't know if what I have to say will reassure you, or frustrate you even more, but I have been using one for over three years now and it has been a very good machine. While admittedly not as refined as, for example, a Powermatic, this particular jointer CAN perform very well and, I think, has for the majority of people who have one. Perhaps you got a bad one. Based on my experience with Grizzly CS, they will do whatever it takes to make it right. Good Luck!

Brad

Wade Lippman
07-13-2008, 10:19 AM
You probably don't have the knives set evenly. Try try again.

I have only had it two days, but my G0490X is sweet. I particularly like the built in mobile base; the add ons are always a pain, though I have never had one fall apart.

Jeff Hallam
07-13-2008, 10:22 AM
The link belt was a good idea, but have you considered doing a more thorough tune-up / setup? There are some good resources on the web, and I can recommend Care and Repair of Shop Machines by John White as well. Scalloping is caused by the knives not being perfectly equal in height I believe. Any snipe you may be getting can also be adjusted to oblivion. Anyways, lots of good info out there on tuning up your jointer. I hope you are able to get the performance that you deserve out of this machine, most people seem really happy with Grizzly, I wish they sold them here in Canada!

glenn bradley
07-13-2008, 11:21 AM
Wade and I aren't helping but, I also LOVE my G0490X. Now on to your problem. Something is definitly wrong. I know it is a pain but, I would carve out a Saturday and go through an entire setup and alignment check.

My experience with Grizzly CS was outstanding. I had a blemish in the casting on my fence and a new one showed up quick. I would contact them about your experiences with the machine after you're sure it is setup as well as you can get it.

BTW, its a jointer. This http://www.grizzly.com/images/pics/gif100/g/g0453.gif (http://www.grizzly.com/products/15-Planer/G0453) is a planer.

Jason Beam
07-13-2008, 12:07 PM
From what I can see, you have two legitimate issues. The mobile base's wheel blowing and the thump on startup. The scalloping is a setup issue and isn't a reflection of the machine at all.

So I see one minor issue with the jointer's performance: Thump upon startup.

I had the same issue and I did what you did and put link belts on. It's actually a minor problem because those poly v-belts are widely known for taking a set and getting lumpy. I chalked it up to a cheap belt and only dinged Grizzly a little bit - I don't expect a rolls royce of a belt for the price Grizzly is asking for.

As for the wheel - well that has nothing to do with the jointer. You've only had it a little while, I'd bet they'd make this right.

And the scalloping. It's a common trend I've noticed for people to be ticked off that a machine they buy isn't 100% perfect straight out of the box. It's also kind of a pet peeve of mine, now, too. Demanding perfect setup on machinery is just plain unrealistic and impractical. Things vibrate, things shift. It's a long trip to get to this side of the pond, then it's a long ride on a freight train or truck. Lots of vibration and such. Things are gonna shift. I personally feel that it's irresponsible NOT to check the entire thing out before using it. What if a bolt wiggled loose? Do you want to see your brand new jointer spit a blade on it's first run?

So get yourself properly setup before you blame the tool. These things aren't autonomous, they need your attention from the git go. I don't care if you buy it from Grizzly, Laguna, Powermatic, or if it's made of solid gold - you need to set these things up before you judge their worth.

Sorry ... rant off :)

You've fixed the belt issue. They should fix the wheel issue. The scallop issue is all on you. :)

Russell Tribby
07-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Wade and I aren't helping but, I also LOVE my G0490X. Now on to your problem. Something is definitly wrong. I know it is a pain but, I would carve out a Saturday and go through an entire setup and alignment check.

My experience with Grizzly CS was outstanding. I had a blemish in the casting on my fence and a new one showed up quick. I would contact them about your experiences with the machine after you're sure it is setup as well as you can get it.

BTW, its a jointer. This http://www.grizzly.com/images/pics/gif100/g/g0453.gif (http://www.grizzly.com/products/15-Planer/G0453) is a planer.

I know, I'm an idiot. I realized that after I posted and I don't know how to change the title.

Russell Tribby
07-13-2008, 12:25 PM
Thanks, Jason. You make some very valid points. You're correct when you say that a lot of people expect things to be set up perfectly. I'm guilty of that. I'll be honest, I didn't realize that scalloping was due to the height of the knives. I was always under the impression that it could be attributed to feed rate. I'll go back and check the knives again, seeing as how I need to offset them anyhow. I've seen that some people have changed the wheels on the base to the Woodcraft casters. Does anyone know if you have to drill new holes in the base or will the holes on the Woodcraft castors match up with the plates on the Shopfox base?

glenn bradley
07-13-2008, 12:38 PM
I know, I'm an idiot. I realized that after I posted and I don't know how to change the title.

I have done that myself. And now my goof lives on in infamy here on the Creek :D:D:D. I wasn't trying to be a smarty. I should have put some laughing faces after that post ;).

There are a few good threads out on the web on setting up jointers. This one is basic but you may need a subscription(?): http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/subscription/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?id=31033 Here's another one but there are a lot out there. I googled "setting up a jointer". http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/jointer_knives.shtml

Someone had a great method or glueing rare earth magnets to a piece of float glass. The magnets hold the knive against the underside of the glass which is setting on the outfeed table. Anyone remember that for Russel or where it is?

Russell Tribby
07-13-2008, 12:47 PM
I have done that myself. And now my goof lives on in infamy here on the Creek :D:D:D. I wasn't trying to be a smarty. I should have put some laughing faces after that post ;).

There are a few good threads out on the web on setting up jointers. This one is basic but you may need a subscription(?): http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/subscription/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?id=31033 Here's another one but there are a lot out there. I googled "setting up a jointer". http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/jointer_knives.shtml

Someone had a great method or glueing rare earth magnets to a piece of float glass. The magnets hold the knive against the underside of the glass which is setting on the outfeed table. Anyone remember that for Russel or where it is?

Thanks for the links, Glen. I've got the book that Jeff mentioned so I'll go back and look at that for set up as well. I'll admit that I used Grizzly's cheap little jig to check the knives. I've got a ts-aligner that I'll use this afternoon if I get the chance. No worries on you pointing out my goof. I've read enough of your posts to see behind the words.

John Stan
07-13-2008, 8:45 PM
Russell, I have that same jointer and for me it works like a champ. Something must be wrong with your set up. I agree the Shop Fox stand is an absolute POS, but that is not the jointer. So you should not associate your dissatisfaction with the stand with the jointer. Call Grizzly CS and they will tell you how to fix the issues and adjust the jointer. I suspect your outfeed table might need some adjustment. Possibly lowered. The folks at Grizzly will help you though. I could not get the wheels from Woodcraft to fit the base. If you do find some better wheels, please let me know. As an FYI, mine thumps a little on startup. Keeping the proper tension on the belt helps. That said, the thumping does not impact performance and it is gone after a second.