PDA

View Full Version : Splitter for Table Saw

harry strasil
07-13-2008, 9:05 AM
I tried one of those plastic splitter things, all it did was pull it out and break one of the posts off the bottom. My saw is a bit different than factory ones as I made it of angle iron and 3/16 sheet some 30+ years ago.

So I had a brainstorm last night and this is the result.

Its bolted to the frame of the saw.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/splitter001.jpg

It has some sideways adjustment.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/splitter002.jpg

And it swings down out of the way when not needed or is in the road.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/splitter003.jpg

Jim Becker
07-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Harry, that's a nice idea with strong attachment. I have to ask you though, with that splitter so far from the back of the blade, it is really effective in preventing pinching? For those times that I've had a board get "pinchy", it was fast and directly behind the blade.

Wade Lippman
07-13-2008, 10:23 AM
I have been using a plastic one for about 8 months now, with reasonably heavy usage, and it hasn't pulled out once. I love it.

I think your splitter is too far back to be very useful.

Jeff Hallam
07-13-2008, 10:24 AM
I'll second Jim's comments, my first big kickback pinched directly behind the blade.

John Thompson
07-13-2008, 10:56 AM
I have to third Jim and Jeff's comments as it loses quite a bit of effectiveness being that far back. But an excellent idea to try to get one on-board.

Sarge..

Michael Weber
07-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Can't comment on the splitter but ya just gotta admire anyone who builds their own tablesaw an it lasts over 30 years. What's it weight?

Bob Wingard
07-13-2008, 1:37 PM
I think if you remade the splitter in an "L"-shape, you could make it come real close to the back of the blade, and still pivot out of the way when not needed.

harry strasil
07-13-2008, 6:20 PM
Michael it weights about 2-300 lbs, maybe, I used to be able to tip it against my hip and reach over to the back and pick it up and carry it around.

I just recently got one of the plastic things, set it up for the old blade. Never had anything before and had no problems.

Only reason I put this one on is I have some 5ft long almost 2 inch hard Pin Oak I am making a new Workbench out of and I wanted to keep as straight an edge as possible on it. Once I have done that I will probably turn it down and never use it again. I didn't know really what the splitters were for, but I thought it would be a good idea to keep those big timbers straight and maybe possibly be of some use when I rip big sheets of plywood. Remember I am mostly a Neander and I am odd to as I do all my work with the fence on the left of the blade.

Next project is to figure out some way to lock the other end of the fence.

Peter Quinn
07-13-2008, 6:27 PM
I was ripping 1/2" off some African Mahogany the other day, first two parts went through like butter, third one pinched like a grouchy crab. Grabbed my Beis splitter and didn't want to move forward. I'm glad you have had better luck. I'm sure glad the knee kick was on the saw and the splitter was right behind the blade.

harry strasil
07-13-2008, 6:32 PM
OK, now I understand what a splitter is supposed to be for. The old 3/4 horse motor I put on my saw just continues to saw the wood when it squeezes together like that.

But, I have to ask what a Knee Kick is?

Jim Becker
07-13-2008, 7:07 PM

It's a big, easy to hit paddle on the off-switch that you can whack with your knee to turn off the machine when you get in trouble...like a pinch when wood moves during a rip. ;)

Peter Quinn
07-13-2008, 7:39 PM
OK, now I understand what a splitter is supposed to be for. The old 3/4 horse motor I put on my saw just continues to saw the wood when it squeezes together like that.

Oh, the 3HP baldor I have didn't stop turning, in fact it was unaffected by the whole thing, just kept turning and burning, I just could barely push the stock forward (even with a very stout plywood push block). I'm careful about pushing too hard because i've seen things free up and if your pushing like heck you can put a hand in the saw.

So if the blade keeps moving and the stock pinches hard and fast as it did (I mean, it just sprung and lock up on that splitter) and there is no splitter to pinch on then it pinches the blade and I'm taking that one in the teeth.

This sort of thing is pretty rare in my shop, but when it happens it gets my attention.

harry strasil
07-13-2008, 8:32 PM
I guess I build things to simple, my switch is just an ordinary house light switch in a handybox on the right leg under the right side. The top is 24 by 51 inches with no extensions and my splitter is 4 inches from the edge of the blade. In 1969 or 70 I fastened my second router under the left side and made a simple V shaped thing out of scrap wood with a hole in the top for my shop vac that fastens to the wood strip on the old fence, Now I guess that is standard procedure.

The only time I have ever been injured while using a table saw was when I was helping a friend and his fancy table saw had one of those things over the top of the blade. Like to lost a thumb with that thing.

And the only time I have been injured with a grinder was someone elses grinder with those fancy OSHA guards on it. The wheel exploded and the only means of discharge for the pieces was thru the small opening in the guards, a piece hit me in the chest. At my Blacksmith shop there are no guards on any of the grinders except the small hand held right angle grinders. You can't use a grinder if you can't get to the wheel, I used the bottom, top and sides of my grinding wheels.

First thing I usually do if I purchase a new power tool is get rid of all those dangerous so called safety devices so I can actually use the tool.

I know people are going to think I am nuts, but I understand that everything is dangerous, and with my tools I needed to be able to use them.

I don't have a very good opinion of the Terrorist, Harrassing Agency our government calls OSHA.

I learned my lesson twice, I refuse to use any tool that has all that dangerous stuff on it.

Lee Koepke
07-13-2008, 8:48 PM
I guess I build things to simple, my switch is just an ordinary house light switch in a handybox on the right leg under the right side. The top is 24 by 51 inches with no extensions and my splitter is 4 inches from the edge of the blade. In 1969 or 70 I fastened my second router under the left side and made a simple V shaped thing out of scrap wood with a hole in the top for my shop vac that fastens to the wood strip on the old fence, Now I guess that is standard procedure.

The only time I have ever been injured while using a table saw was when I was helping a friend and his fancy table saw had one of those things over the top of the blade. Like to lost a thumb with that thing.

And the only time I have been injured with a grinder was someone elses grinder with those fancy OSHA guards on it. The wheel exploded and the only means of discharge for the pieces was thru the small opening in the guards, a piece hit me in the chest. At my Blacksmith shop there are no guards on any of the grinders except the small hand held right angle grinders. You can't use a grinder if you can't get to the wheel, I used the bottom, top and sides of my grinding wheels.

First thing I usually do if I purchase a new power tool is get rid of all those dangerous so called safety devices so I can actually use the tool.

I know people are going to think I am nuts, but I understand that everything is dangerous, and with my tools I needed to be able to use them.

I don't have a very good opinion of the Terrorist, Harrassing Agency our government calls OSHA.

I learned my lesson twice, I refuse to use any tool that has all that dangerous stuff on it.
I have seen some of the stuff you have built, and you are pretty creative and think things thru quite well. Your brain is the best safety feature for all tools.

That said, I dont remove my safety features, since I learned with them, I dont feel comfortable otherwise.

Peter Quinn
07-14-2008, 7:23 PM

I hear your point. When I rebuilt my 49' Dewalt RAS I considered getting the blade guards and a few other of the safety things that were missing. The guy at Wolfe Machinery asked me directly if OSHA would be visiting my shop, and when I said no, he told me to skip all that junk, as it was largely a danger and would only prevent the stupidest of people from the most casual of accidents, but would not stop serious accidents, though it might cause a few.

First thing I did when I set up my PM66 was install the factory blade guard and splitter and take some test cuts. Second thing I did was remove the factory guards and throw them away. But whoever invented that little Biesmeyer splitter is a damn genius and I thank him or her.

Other than on a shaper I really prefer to see a blade than a guard my self, because the guard tells the mind "Its safe, its OK", where as the large sharp whirrling piece of steel tells the sane mind "Be careful fool, watch your hands, your going to need those to pick your nose latter.":D

Jerry Olexa
07-15-2008, 6:24 PM
Hate to be negative, but that splitter is pretty far back for effectiveness. Be careful....