PDA

View Full Version : Maine Antique Tool Shops

Nate Rogers
07-13-2008, 7:28 AM
Gents,
Headed to Maine this week and I am trying to located a set of hollow and round molding planes. I am tying to find some nice antique tool dealers, I got Liberty Tools/Hulls Cove anybody know of any others that I might try to hit? Any help would be appreciated.

Nate

Dusty Fuller
07-13-2008, 8:49 AM
My wife and I went to Maine for our honeymoon, and I got to wander around a couple of the stores you mentioned. I didn't have enough time to really dig through, but I was there long enough to know that they've got most everything. I don't really remember an absolute complete set of H/R's, but you could mix and match, as well as look through the miscellaneous irons that are in some of the drawers if you were up to making your own. I had limited suitcase room, so I bought what I thought were my greatest needs (plane irons and brace bits). I also picked up a small backsaw and an old router plane. I'm seriously ready to go back. I don't find much for reasonable prices in Georgia, at least not from "antique" stores and the like. I made a list of the stuff that I really really wanted to get, stuff that I knew I would have a very hard time finding at home. I bought what I could find, and then added a few interesting things on the side. I'll take a UPS box next time and have stuff shipped!

Richard Storm
07-13-2008, 12:04 PM
My niece lives in Maine and I try to visit at least once a year. Let's see if I remember correctly my wife and I had lunch at Moody's dinner (recommend it, google it) and then took the old Rte 1 to Portland. There were many antique stores along the road. I was surpised by the amount of tools. One place, don't remeber the name but there was a carpenters tool box completely filled with wood moulding planes. Also there is place called the Chicken Barn (also google to find location) which is north of Sears Port, it's what it says it is an old chicken farm and is huge there is plenty of old iron there. I would recommend checking it out.