PDA

View Full Version : Insect Damage

Brian Brown
07-13-2008, 12:24 AM
So I got a few logs this week, and today I was cutting them into blanks, when I noticed some had some tunnels from the former (and in a few cases current and irritated) residents. Im not a real fan of insect damage, because it usually seems to be a defect in the worst possible place. I know some like the look of insect damage, or accept it because it is natural. So my poll question is regarding how you feel about natures little additions.

Bob Hallowell
07-13-2008, 9:44 AM
I like it if the rest of the piece as character also. I either leave them or fill them for a different look.
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
07-13-2008, 11:06 AM
Brian - I've had a few pieces with insect damage and managed to keep as much as the damage as possible. It moves a piece from functional into the 'art' class. And, you're right, folks either like the natural effect or consider it damaged and move on.

Curt Fuller
07-13-2008, 11:36 AM
I see it more as 'insect enhanced'.

Mike Minto
07-13-2008, 6:41 PM
I do like the random uniqueness given a piece of wood by insects, but it does depend on what I'm doing with the wood as to wether or not I want it there. Oh, and I'm a little skeptical about 1 person building a whole ark. Mike

Frank Hasty
07-13-2008, 8:12 PM
Since I am a neophyte I'm not good enough to do anything that might be called "art" so I try to work around it. At present Im inclined to leave very small holes. I haven't tried to do anything "artsy" with a natural edge because I don't know how to keep the bark from popping off, but I might leave some tunnels in that.

"I was gratified to answer promptly and I did,..........I said I didn't know."
Mark Twain

Jim Underwood
07-13-2008, 10:43 PM
For turned objects I'm "fer" it.
But it really depends on how symmetrical or obvious they are. I cut two pieces of mesquite that had a lot of holes in it, and one piece turned out well, and the other looked like it had cigarette burns on it...:p

As for how they affect the structure of my shop... I'm "agin" it.:D

Bernie Weishapl
07-13-2008, 11:43 PM
I like it. Makes it artsy.