PDA

View Full Version : PC omnijig vs. a leigh dovetail looking for advise.

NICK BARBOZA
07-12-2008, 1:08 PM
i currently have the older porter cable #4210 12" dovetail jig. i only have the half blind guide for it. As my skills have grown, i am getting more interested in more intricate joinery and techniques and thus equipment. i would like to upgrade my jig but i am not sure which route to go. I'm not too sure on the size yet but, i am looking at the new omnijig and also the comparable sized leigh jig.

Anybody that has either or both, what are your likes / dislikes / advise for each???

thanks
Nick

Al Navas
07-12-2008, 1:53 PM
Nick,

My first question would be: What kinds or types of projects do you think you will build?

Of course, the more versatile jigs will let you experiment, and actually make more and more sophisticated projects. I use the Leigh D4 exclusively, but Leigh now also has a wide variety of jigs available. All the models are quite capable. You might want to become familiar with their features, at the Leigh Jig Comparison Page: http://www.leighjigs.com/download/Comparison%20Chart-1.pdf . Is this link allowed?

Joe Scharle
07-12-2008, 8:15 PM
I've got a HF, MLCS, Leigh Super and a Woodrat. All of the 'finger' jigs use a fixed cut; usually 1/2". The Leigh allows more selection in angle & length of bit than any I'm familiar with, but still uses a 1/2" cut. The vacuum support really works. Should be standard!
The Woodrat accepts any bit (I have one that's 7/8 long with a 1/4" cut. I can't make that DT by hand. Woodrat is also a joinery machine.

Joe

David Eisan
07-12-2008, 8:19 PM
Hello there,

I could never get the ~$100 half blind jigs to work. I just bought the 24" Ominjig. I am waiting for the oddball 7º dove tail bits to show up and then I will be using it to make some drawers.

I will let you know next week if it is any good :).

David

Denny Rice
07-12-2008, 8:55 PM
Nick,

I own the D4R and have owned this jig for about 2 yrs now. I purchased the new vac attachment early this spring and like it too. I could of purchased a less expensive dovetail jig, but I was afraid it might be like when I try to save a couple of bucks---I wish I would not have tried. The D4R is a very high quality jig, I would say if you purchase this jig you will pass it down to your kids when they grow up. The finger assembly allows you to not only space out the dovetails, but you can split each dovetail if needed. I like the construction of this jig because it is made from one solid piece of extruded aluminum and machined to very tight tolerances, there is no fiddling with the stops either, they are machined into the body. The only drawback to this dovetail jig compared to others is you cannot cut the tails and the pins at the same time. I usually set my jig up and if I am making drawers I will mark all my my drawers then cut dado on all 4 pieces of my drawer to except the bottom of the drawer and cut all of my pins, thenset up jig to cut the tails and cut all the tails. The D4R comes with a REALLY GOOD manual and a CD you can watch as many times as needed to show you how to properly use this jig. Hope this helps.

william Ku
07-12-2008, 11:26 PM
there is no fiddling with the stops either, they are machined into the body.

really?

I didn't think the Leigh used stops.

I thought it required the user to adjust the jig for each setup.

Wayne Cannon
07-13-2008, 2:19 AM
The new ones have stops. The older ones (like mine) don't.

John Eaton
07-13-2008, 7:58 AM
My woodworking club had a PC rep come and demo the Omnijig - I was quite impressed and will probably puchase if the price ever comes down a bit. I felt like they copied the Leigh D4 and made some nice enhancements, but other than that they seemed very similar (I haven't worked with either, just a basic fixed template jig).

-- John

Max Acbuilder
07-13-2008, 8:22 AM
sweet to set up and use. I had purchased the Akeda last year for a project. I used more wood setting up the Akeda then the whole project. I found I would work around the use of dovetails in projects so as to avoid utilizing the Akeda. I purchased the PC Omnijig and found it a breeze to use. I keep it set up and ready to go. A tool is only tool if you use it!

NICK BARBOZA
07-14-2008, 8:19 AM
Thanks for the input every one.

Well, mainly i am just looking to have the ability to customize the layout per project. In that sense either jig would do so. Also i can buy the Omni local where as i would have to order the Leigh. I am a big fan of putting my hands on something of that price before purchasing.

Again, the variablity is really what i am looking for since my current jig is a bit of a one show pony and is not always applicable to certain projects. I see myself using the jig on some smaller boxes and certianly drawers for larger casework projects. I am also very interested in the process of the "double dovetails"

I do think that this is comparing 2 top notch products but all i am really looking for are the things you only learn about a product after working with it.

Thanks again,
Nick

Charles Lent
07-14-2008, 10:57 AM
I have had a Leigh D4R for several years and bought the vacuum attachment for it last year. I've owned several other dovetail jigs and could never get the reliably good joints that I can now with my D4R and can remember avoiding using dovetails in my projects because of the setup hastle of these other jigs. I now use dovetail joints whenever it seems right for my project. With the supplied DVD and excellent manual it has been very easy for me to get consistently good through dovetails with the D4R, but a bit tougher to get it adjusted right for half blind dovetails. Through dovetails will come out right the first time, if you follow the manual. Half blind dovetails require you to make several test cuts to get the router bit depth set correctly, but once you have it making good half blind dovetails and you record the exact bit length for that specific dovetail bit, you can repeat the setup using that same bit and easily get perfect half blind dovetails with that bit again and again. I love the jig for it's ability to easily make professional quality joints, but wish there was an easier way to determine the "sweet spot" bit length setting to get each dovetail bit to work perfectly when making half blind dovetails. At least it only has to be done once for each dovetail bit. After that it's easy to repeat the joint using the recorded settings.

Charley

NICK BARBOZA
07-14-2008, 12:02 PM
Locally i have found a "new" (not assembled) Leigh D4 for $250. Do you think it is worth getting a model that is no longer made? should i hold out and save for the newer D4R?

Thanks,
Nick

Jerry White
07-14-2008, 2:13 PM
If it were me, I'd grab it. Then I would go straight out and purchase the VRS attachment for it.

Denny Rice
07-14-2008, 2:57 PM
Nick,

If you don't mind adjusting for the side stops on this jig, it seems like a decent deal. I have had my D4R for awhile now, but the last time I was on Rocklers website, I want to say the D4R was selling for a lot more than 250.00, closer to 500 dollars.... I know Leigh has had "different" versions of the D4 before the D4R was intoduced. Another thing, make sure the D4 you are looking at has the upper and lower adjustable cam locks, their great. I have also seen used D4's sell on ebay for more than 250 dollars....:D

NICK BARBOZA
07-14-2008, 3:01 PM
it does have the cam locks. by the "side stops" are you talking about setting the left and right stop for the stock in which your are cutting? if so, i have to do that with my current PC, no big deal.

thanks for the input!

Nick

Gary Muto
07-14-2008, 3:34 PM
I went ot buy the P-C jig when they had a 20% off sale. The guys (2 different people) in the store talked me into the Leigh jig. Smaller, lighter easier to use and accesories are less expensive. I decided to wait since the Leigh Jigs are always excluded from the store discounts.