PDA

View Full Version : Planer question

Kent E. Matthew
07-12-2008, 12:49 AM
If I could I would buy a Powermatic 15 inch planer. But, I don't know if I really need one. How many of you make do with a 300 dollar lunch box planer?

Rich Engelhardt
07-12-2008, 6:14 AM
Hello,
$$, space and voltage are in short supply here @ Casa Rich.

$$ are a concern to most people. Space - even with wheels on everything is another premium in most shops. Voltage in my garage is limited to 120V, which puts the kabash on jointers over 6" & planers over 13".

I opted for a 13" DeWalt 734 after doing some research into what's needed most often for the types of projects I can see myself undertaking.
Most of the time, the width of anything I edge join will be under 13" & I figure those pieces are most likely what the planer will see most often.

For the few times the width may be greater, I've concluded that a router sled is a viable option.

The one I'm in the planning stages of putting together will do double duty.
When not being used as a sled, I plan to store it inverted on "Franken-cart" - my roll around do-everything cart - as an enlarged worksurface.

Here's a link to a link for a router sled.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=87390&highlight=%22router+sled%22

Scroll down to the bottom and check out the pictures Dan posted.

Shop Notes, IIRC, had plans for one also.
Theirs was/is a substitute for a surface jointer.
In the article it mentioned the key to making it work was to use a bottom cleanout bit in the router.

Rob Luter
07-12-2008, 6:26 AM
Hi Kent -

I went with the Rigid three blade 13" lunchbox version and have been pleased with the results. I enjoy woodworking as a hobby and made the purchase to broaden my base of supply for affordable lumber.

jerry nazard
07-12-2008, 8:09 AM
Kent,

When I started putting together my current basement shop there was just no available room for a stationary planer. My previous machine was a Jet 20" and I knew nothing about the lunch-box units. I purchased a Makita 12" as a "temporary" machine - which became an "until I burn it up" machine - which is a "still going strong" machine. Guess I did OK!

Best!

-Jerry

Steve Kohn
07-12-2008, 8:44 AM
I have the DeWalt 735. It is arguably called a "lunchbox" planer, but at approximately 90 lbs. I have it mounted on a roll around table/stand. It has done well for me once I added the extra infeed and outfeed tables.

Eventually I will replace it with a spiral headed machine, but for now there are other priorities for my $$$ in the shop.

John Keeton
07-12-2008, 9:04 AM
Kent, I had a lunchbox planer for about 15 years before getting a Griz 0453, a 15" with a mobile base. The advantages are wider, mobility, and dust collection. And, those are the factors I would use to make my choice.

When I had the lunchbox, it was on a stand, and sat on a portable mobile base. We live in the country, and I would roll it out on the driveway to use because of noise and dust. I wouldn't suggest this in town!

The finish was actually better than what I get now - marginally, and it was as fast. I had no complaints.

After many years of coughing sawdust, I wanted to install a DC system, and that was really my motivation to upgrade. So, it really depends on what you want from the machine. I would have no hesitancy having another lunchbox if the DC were not so important to me. I always wore hearing protectors anyway, but moving outside seemed to reduce the confined noise factor.

glenn bradley
07-12-2008, 9:10 AM
DW734 has met all my needs to date. The very rare wider stuff is either done in parts or by hand.

Jim Becker
07-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Portable planers are generally pretty nice machines, especially if you stay toward the "better ones" of the breed. Unless you are running a really large amount of material frequently, they will handle things fine. They are, however, more "disposable" than the larger, heavier stationary tools, and will not last forever as the big machines will, but with the cost differential, if you need to replace one in 5-10 years, it's not going to really cost you that much. Portables do provide a very nice surface and don't mark the wood if you need to take a very light cut.

Ted Shrader
07-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Kent -

How much wood will you be planing?

I have a PM 15" planer and a 12" Ryobi lunchbox planer. The Ryobi was the first planer I got (on a closeout deal at the blue big box store) and figured it would hold me for a while until it burned up. Still hasn't burned up.

Got the PM 15" for the extra width capacity and for bigger runs of planing. (Allows two boards to go through at once or wider glued up pieces - cutting boards, etc.)

Due to space limitations, I have to move equipment around to use either planer. More so with the PM 15". So I use the PM 15" for bigger planing jobs - i.e. lots of wood to surface. The work goes faster because of the higher feed rate and greater depth of cut. Dust collection is better with the PM 15".

Bottom line - Both planers get used depending on the job size.

Ted

Dave Bender
07-12-2008, 10:43 AM
The Dewalt 733 I had was the last of the lowerend tools that I upgraded. The lunchbox planers do a very good job. Getting an 8" or larger jointer or a sliding table saw would be higher on my to do list than upgrading a good lunchbox planer.

Kent E. Matthew
07-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Amount of wood to be planed has been mentioned a few times. I have chunks of red oak that I have been collecting for years from a trucking outfit. Every time they delivered a load of metal the driver would kick off the wood. They are about 3 inches by 5 inches by 45 inches long. Solid red oak. I have 50 of these and other various pallet parts that could be usable. I am currently putting my shop together. Space is a concern. My shop is roughly 15' x 17'. Electrical supply is not a concern. I already have 220v.

John Keeton
07-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Kent, those oak shorts sound like a bench in the making!

mreza Salav
07-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Amount of wood to be planed has been mentioned a few times. I have chunks of red oak that I have been collecting for years from a trucking outfit. Every time they delivered a load of metal the driver would kick off the wood. They are about 3 inches by 5 inches by 45 inches long. Solid red oak. I have 50 of these and other various pallet parts that could be usable. I am currently putting my shop together. Space is a concern. My shop is roughly 15' x 17'. Electrical supply is not a concern. I already have 220v.

Well, I could say you can easily outgrow your space. 15x17 is not too small but it gets full sooner than you expect. So be careful on how you purchase tools, sometimes space is more valuable than the money spent. Just some thoughts.

Wade Lippman
07-12-2008, 4:11 PM
Kent -

How much wood will you be planing?

I have a PM 15" planer and a 12" Ryobi lunchbox planer. The Ryobi was the first planer I got (on a closeout deal at the blue big box store) and figured it would hold me for a while until it burned up. Still hasn't burned up.

Got the PM 15" for the extra width capacity and for bigger runs of planing. (Allows two boards to go through at once or wider glued up pieces - cutting boards, etc.)

Due to space limitations, I have to move equipment around to use either planer. More so with the PM 15". So I use the PM 15" for bigger planing jobs - i.e. lots of wood to surface. The work goes faster because of the higher feed rate and greater depth of cut. Dust collection is better with the PM 15".

Bottom line - Both planers get used depending on the job size.

Ted

If space is tight, why not get rid of the little one?

Matt Hutchinson
07-12-2008, 5:09 PM
I didn't have the money to afford a 15" planer, but one popped up on craigslist for a great price. It's a Makita, and falls somewhere between a lunchbox and "normal" 15 inch planer.

Anwho, the main point I want to make is be patient and check local listings, auction sites, and used machinery sites. I have seen a number of good deals come along. Who knows, you could get lucky. Although, I too think that the better lunchbox models are quite nice. In fact, my dad's has had hundreds of board feet run through it over the last 12 years and it's still going strong. Right now the newest DeWalt model is definitely the best available, and ebay often has factory reconditioned models for $100-250 off the normal $550 price, and they still have warranties.

Hutch

Gary Herrmann
07-12-2008, 7:58 PM
I think its fair to say that most of us start out with a lunchbox and then upgrade if we can afford to, come across a great deal, or need the extra capacity/power of a floor model for projects.

At least that's what I did. My reasons for upgrading fell in all 3 categories.

I was very happy with my Dewalt 735 when I had it.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-12-2008, 8:15 PM
Kent,

I bought a 13" Ridgid and have been happy with it. Money and space were a problem when I bought it. Though I have a larger shop now, I won't replace it for some time. It works well. It's on a stand with rollers, I can move it where I want it...set it down...use it and move it out of the way. Dust collection works pretty well on it.

David Tiell
07-12-2008, 8:43 PM
Kent,
I've got the 13" Delta 2-speed and love it. It's been a real workhorse for me. And being "portable" (at about 80 pounds, that term is debatable), it could be stored out of the way under a bench or in a cabinet somewhere. It's big enough to do 99% of the stuff I need a planer for. But I just bought a 16" Jet stationary planer off craigslist for $500. Not only does it give me a little more width capacity, but the big planers can remove a lot more stock in one pass than the lunchboxes, to cut down on planing time. But for the most part, my Delta will probably continue to be my "go-to" planer.

Tyler Davis
07-12-2008, 10:42 PM
I'm also in the market for a planer. Searching craigslist for 12-15" stationary planers but also considering the Ridgid lunchbox. After looking at the Ridgid today, I have to question how much space savings it would buy you. At 80-100 lbs for any of the good quality portable planers, are you guys really stowing them away in between uses? I'm a reasonably fit young guy, but I know once I set it down on a tabletop or stand, it aint going anywhere:p
Since the footprint of both types of planers is basically the same, I'm leaning towards a used stationary model. Any comments?

Rob Will
07-12-2008, 11:27 PM
I'm a fan of big old iron and recommend buying the heaviest planer you can afford. A carbide insert head for the planer and a wide jointer would also be nice.:cool:;)

Rob

Mike Heidrick
07-13-2008, 1:02 AM
I think its fair to say that most of us start out with a lunchbox and then upgrade if we can afford to, come across a great deal, or need the extra capacity/power of a floor model for projects.

At least that's what I did. My reasons for upgrading fell in all 3 categories.

I was very happy with my Dewalt 735 when I had it.

Exactly Gary! I still have my 734 Dewalt though - worth more to me than anyone else localy as they get sold new for pretty cheap and I always tell people to buy the 735 when it is on sale. I now have a 20" floor standing Delta also.

I will add one more category - #4 - You find you HATE the piercing scream of the lunchbox planers. The Delta is loud but it is a nice roar and not a piercing scream.

Peter Quinn
07-13-2008, 8:34 AM
I 'made due' with a Dewalt 735 for some time. Gets the job done, takes a bit more time, lighter passes and such. I still own it and it still gets used a bit.

I got a Delta DC-380, older model, at an auction for a few hundred bucks. Required lots of TLC and honing out some deep nail scratches in the table, previous owner had recycled pallet wood and missed a few nails! Its hard to explain how much easier it is to work with the iron planer till you have used one. It takes up a bit more space, requires a bit more skill to maintain, I for one will never go back to a lunch box, but I got a lot of work done with one before I got the delta.

For a hobby shop I'd think a good lunch box will do most things you need and move quick enough to serve you well. If you are planning a large job like making your own kitchen, I might look into a bigger machine for that. If you are working for money and using a lunchbox as your primary thicknessing machine, that's just crazy!:D

Larry Rasmussen
07-13-2008, 9:50 AM
The Makita 12 inch planer I had worked very well but it was a real screamer. I would shut the garage door before use and still feel bad for the neighbors. The entry level 15" planer from Grizzly to which I added a shelix head is bulkier but it purrs compared to the old lunchbox planer. I am a budget challenged hobbiest that doesn't "need" the larger machine but an glad I made the purchase every time I use it.
Larry R
Seattle

Rod Sheridan
07-13-2008, 10:02 AM
I started with a 14 inch cast iron planer, and downsized this year to a 12 inch planer.

Previous machine was a General, present machine is a Hammer A3-31.

The Hammer replaced a jointer and the planer, reducing the amount of space taken up by machinery in my basement, townhouse shop.

My brother has a lunchbox planer, which produces nice work, however it is much slower and far noisier than a stationary machine. I simply couldn't put up with the noise.

Planers need good chip collection, otherwise they clog up, and chips get under the feed rollers, leaving dimples in your material.

It may be the time to bring power out to your shop, so you can install dust collection and run machinery.

Regards, Ro.