PDA

View Full Version : Removing my shop ceiling??

Michael Weber
07-11-2008, 11:47 PM
I see three options for my new(to me) shop area of about 18 x 24. Leave the existing ceiling in place and insulate. Remove the ceiling but leave the joists. Remove the ceiling and some if not most of the joists, visually opening up the area overhead and gaining headroom but losing some storage in the process. Last two options would mean insulating between the rafters. Ceiling height is 8 feet, covered with some kind of thin plywood or hardboard material that would be easy to remove. No existing insulation. There are two 8 foot deep storage rooms along one side making the actual shop area 18 x 16. Money is always an issue but I want to do the best thing while I have the opportunity (no equipment in the area yet). Conversely, I don't need or desire a 'deluxe' workshop. I want it to be a place that is comfortable and usable. Just not sure what the best option is here and if removing the ceiling really offers any advantage from a functional or visual viewpoint. Your experience/opinion would be appreciated. thanks, Mike

Jamie Buxton
07-12-2008, 12:28 AM
The ceiling joists may not be just holding up the ceiling. If you have a hip roof above, the roof rafters are trying to push the walls apart, and the ceiling joists are what is holding the walls together.

Steve Kohn
07-12-2008, 9:01 AM
Check with an architect or structural engineer, but when I build my shop the architect specified the collar ties (what is holding up the ceiling) to be moved up 1/3 of the height of the rafters. This allowed me to get an 11.5 foot ceiling in place of a 9 foot ceiling.

BTW the roof above the collar ties was a hip roof and the collar ties keep the walls from pulling apart.

Jim Becker
07-12-2008, 10:30 AM
What Steve suggests is a good way to increase the ceiling height even for a more "traditional" roof. Depending on the actual structure, you may be able to just put some collar ties as direct replacements for the joists (doing them one or two at a time), but you might need to do it more truss-like. Always a good idea to spend a few shekels for a professional opinion on that from a structural engineer. You do not want your walls being forced outward by your roof structure load.