PDA

View Full Version : extension with a gap 3520B

Ron Oastler
07-11-2008, 8:05 PM
Well here is a photo of a partially completed extension for my lathe. After getting some great help from Doc Green this is what I am making. I wanted something that would let me move the tailstock out of the way but also one that I wouldn't have to take the tail stock off when I want to remove the tool rest. I need to remove the tool rest when using the coring system and still have the tail stock in place for support. I had to take the tailsotck right off and then remove the tool rest to allow me to get the tailstock up when using the oneway coring system. At the moment the ways are just a couple of pieces of pine that I used to make sure things worked okay. I will make some stronger ways out of maple or oak tomorrow. The main reason for doing all this was the tail stock is heavy and I don't want to drop in on my foot, so far it seems to support the weight of the tailstock. I will add some covering to the sides to add support as well and then find some nice mustard paint. Again thanks to Doc for the great pictures of his system,.
Ron In Kingston

Bernie Weishapl
07-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Ron that looks like a excellent solution to your problem. I like the idea of being able to take off the tool rest without taking off the tailstock.