PDA

View Full Version : Any Jet 1220VS owners here

Jerry Gerard
07-11-2008, 5:23 PM
I'm looking at this lathe and it seems to be packed with a lot of options for the money . How do you like the lathe and did it meet all your expectations ?
Wood Craft has 10% off day coming up , I should be able to pick this up for $468 . My next pick would be the 1642 VS , with the 10% off it would be $1440 out the door . Since I'm just getting started in turning $970 saved on the smaller 1220 could by a bunch of extras which I need . (tools and such )

robert hainstock
07-11-2008, 5:30 PM
I don't have one, but it would be my choice for an upgrade. I've seen one, and used it . it is so much more versitile than the lower priced model. :)
Bob

Dennis Ford
07-11-2008, 5:38 PM
I have the Jet 1220 (not variable speed), got it about 4 months ago to have something portable and really like it. I have some doubts about the torque of the VS model but otherwise its a great lathe for its size.:D

Brodie Brickey
07-11-2008, 5:50 PM
Jerry,

I can't speak for the 12" swing version of the Jet. I have the Jet Mini with VS. I also have a Powermatic, but got the mini for demo reasons as well as testing. I've been very disappointed with the Jet VS side of things. To me the motor fails to deliver the power of the normal Jet Mini which I've used in classes.

Admittedly, I'm a little heavy handed when turning, I take some heavier cuts than I should, but I stalled it sanding a pen blank. I expect slippage when using a pen mandrel, but it wasn't slipping. Belt tension was fine, etc. The motor whine also sounds like its straining all the time.

Now the mini is a 1/2 hp motor, the 1220 is a 3/4 hp so things might be different, but I'd recommend seeing if you can test drive it. The local woodcraft might be able to put you in touch with someone who has it, or they may have one in the classroom.

If it were me, I'd grab the Nova 1624-44, mount it on a bench and see if I could get a credit for the stand I won't be using. But that would be quite a bit more money, about double, but it would give me the 215 rpm I want for turning bowls and larger forms.

John Terefenko
07-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Brodie

I am going to say there is something seriously wrong with your mini lathe because you can not stall that lathe just by sanding a pen. I have that lathe and yes the VS does rob some torque but remember it is a MINI lathe. Sharp tools and light cuts work all the time. I am looking at the 1220VS because I will never buy a lathe without VS especially a mini lathe where you are constantly changing speeds for the small objects turned. This is just my opinion.

Robert McGowen
07-11-2008, 10:10 PM
Well, you asked............ :D

Started with a 1014, got a 1220, then a 1642 last December. Instead of looking at the 1220 as saving you $970, I look at it as costing you an unnecessary $468. Just my opinion! ;)

Craig Powers
07-12-2008, 12:22 AM
I have had the 1220(non vs) for over a year now. No real problems. Its been great so far. A nice intro lathe in my book. No sense in spending big$$ on the 1st lathe. You may not like turning as much as you think you will.
But consider, I don't have much to compare it to though.
The only other lathes I've turned with are a Jet mini and a Oneway
2436. For the money I'd go for the Jet 1220.
Incidentally, if money were no object, I'd get a Oneway.
My .02. Good Luck

Bill Blasic
07-12-2008, 7:46 PM
I have a 3520b and a Nova DVR and have had a variety of minis. We recently purchased 5 of the 1220 VS from Joe Osolnik to take advantage of his 5 lathe deal ($475 delivered). This lathe is what every mini should be, lots of power and a wide variety of speeds ranges, I believe this will be my last mini! It will be tough to be my traveling lathe though as it weighs 100 Lbs.

Jerry Gerard
07-12-2008, 10:38 PM
I have a 3520b and a Nova DVR and have had a variety of minis. We recently purchased 5 of the 1220 VS from Joe Osolnik to take advantage of his 5 lathe deal ($475 delivered). This lathe is what every mini should be, lots of power and a wide variety of speeds ranges, I believe this will be my last mini! It will be tough to be my traveling lathe though as it weighs 100 Lbs.

I spotted that Club deal Joe is having , nice bargain . How is Joe to deal with ?

Bill Blasic
07-14-2008, 7:45 AM
Jerry,
Joe is a great guy to deal with, I recommend him totally.