PDA

View Full Version : Trouble finding blade for .5" arbor

Shawn Honeychurch
07-11-2008, 2:36 PM
Hey All;

I recently saved a very old mini table saw, it's an old Beaverline exactly the same as this one.

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.aspx?id=1358

The problem is that the arbor is .5", not 5/8". So I cannot get my blades to properly center and run smooth, they always wobble a tiny bit as the blade is unbalanced. I had planned to build this tine saw into my new work bench strictly for dado's and grooves, but cannot find any dado's sets for a .5" arbor.

Any ideas folks?

Shawn

Dave Laird in NM
07-11-2008, 2:59 PM
Freud makes Saw Blade Bushings. The one for 1/2" I.D. and 5/8" O.D. is p/n BL71MBA9 and sells at Woodworker's Supply for $2.99 each.

Shawn Honeychurch
07-11-2008, 3:23 PM
Freud makes Saw Blade Bushings. The one for 1/2" I.D. and 5/8" O.D. is p/n BL71MBA9 and sells at Woodworker's Supply for $2.99 each.

That sounds like just the ticket, but after searching all over the Woodworkers Supply site I cannot find it anywhere.

Dave Laird in NM
07-11-2008, 4:03 PM
PM sent thank you

Charles Lent
07-11-2008, 4:45 PM
Try to find an old hardware store near you. One that's been around since ??Many still have these in stock. Unfortunately, the store that I bought mine from is now out of business. A lot of these bushings have been sold since the 50's and 60's when the 1/2 arbor saws were being discontinued and the saw manufacturers were all converting to only make 5/8 center hole blades. Many of the 1/2" arbor saws are still out there and in use, so there's still a small need for them.

Shawn Honeychurch
07-11-2008, 4:56 PM
Ah Ha, I just found something called a 1/2" T Bushing at woodworkers supply, and it looks like that would take care of making my 8" 5/8" arbor dado stack work on my 1/2" arbor saw.

Here is the link, can anyone confirm that I know what I am talking about? :D

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=927-188&search=Bushing

On reading further maybe a series of 1/2" spacers would be better??

Thanks
Shawn

Rick Lizek
07-11-2008, 5:21 PM
Those are for a shaper. Saw bushing are serrated on the edge and you use one for each blade and chipper. Any good saw shop should have these. We have several dados and misc blades we routinely use on various saws. You can also get mm to inch bushings as well.

Dave Lehnert
07-11-2008, 5:24 PM
Check with a saw sharping shop in your area. Any I know of will custom drill an arbor in a blade for you.

Tom Godley
07-11-2008, 6:07 PM
I have one that looks just like it. -- It is a Sears unit and painted blue.

I can not find the guard -- not that I will ever use it -- its a dangerous little thing.

It was my grandfathers and I was always a little afraid of it as a kid.

Have you used it very often??

Shawn Honeychurch
07-11-2008, 6:13 PM
Those are for a shaper. Saw bushing are serrated on the edge and you use one for each blade and chipper. Any good saw shop should have these. We have several dados and misc blades we routinely use on various saws. You can also get mm to inch bushings as well.

Hmm, that sounds very different than what I linked to. I think over the weekend I'll pop into a tool store and have a chat with them.

Why did the manufacturers switch from 1/2" to 5/8" arbors?

Shawn

Peter Quinn
07-11-2008, 6:45 PM
Amana makes the serrated OD saw bushings. Do you have an Amana dealer to order from? As noted any good grinding operation should be able to accurately press them in for you, or maybe you can do it your self?

http://www.amanatool.com/circular-saw-blades/saw-reducing-bushing-bu_100.html

Shawn Honeychurch
07-11-2008, 7:25 PM
I have one that looks just like it. -- It is a Sears unit and painted blue.

I can not find the guard -- not that I will ever use it -- its a dangerous little thing.

It was my grandfathers and I was always a little afraid of it as a kid.

Have you used it very often??

I don't have the guard either, but I use it quite a lot. I have a 1/3 HP motor hooked up to it, but am searching for 1 to 3 HP motor, I hope to find a good Baldor and mount it underneath the saw in my new work bench. I love this little thing. The blade wobbles (I'll get a bushing soon"), but for non critical pieces and small pieces it is great.

If your not going to use yours feel free to send it up to me.

Shawn

Rick Potter
07-12-2008, 2:22 AM
My dad had a saw with a half inch arbor, and I have the very small molding head that he bought in the early fifties with a half inch arbor. I saved it because I could use it on my shaper, but I never have. If I remember correctly he had a stacked dado with a half inch hole also.

Rick Potter

Brian Effinger
07-12-2008, 4:56 PM
If you have a Sears in your area, check them out - that is where I got mine for a 60 year old Craftsman table saw.

Actually if you'd like I could drop a few in an envelope & mail them to you. I've still got almost a full bag and you can have half. PM me if you're interested.

Matt Hutchinson
07-12-2008, 4:59 PM
I'm with Brian. Sears has the kind of bushings you are looking for. I bought some a few years ago to run an old Craftsman 8" table saw, and they worked fine. No need to pay for shipping.

Hutch

Bill Huber
07-13-2008, 11:40 PM
I have an old Craftsman with a 1/2 inch arbor and I get my bushings from here.
http://www.justsawblades.com/systimatic/accessories.htm

These are very good and are not like some that I have had in the past, these go in a little hard but they stay there, I have never had one of them come out.

You can get cheaper ones but they are not very good.

Charles Lent
07-14-2008, 11:10 AM
Shawn,

I've found two 5/8-1/2 blade bushings in some of my old saw blades (no longer need them). They are yours free if you will send me a private e-mail with your mailing address.

Charley